ProLaxShop

The Great Big Bad Durham Thread

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
whopead

Re: The Great Big Bad Durham Thread

Postby whopead Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:02 pm

petegriffin wrote:
Freddie wrote:Just out of interest regarding the whole academic side of things, does anyone know if it is difficult to get onto a master program at Durham. I have a friend who did the same masters in Business and Finance but had a 2.1 in History from Durham. I only ask as I've had a look at this Sieverts Chap and he 'majored' in Marketing Logistics and Transportation & Supply Chain Management. If you ask me, that sounds like a complete joke of degree and one that I wouldn't imagine Durham would normally take into consideration.

How unnecessarily disrespectful. Ridiculous.

I am Sure companies such as UPS FEDEX USPOST would be quite happy with a young man with that kind of degree. Logistics and supply chains. As would many haulage, freight, supermarkets etc....so not so much of a joke degree. very useful in my opinion.

Agree with MR Flint...unnessecary
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
kael101

Postby kael101 Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:04 pm

whopead wrote:
petegriffin wrote:
Freddie wrote:Just out of interest regarding the whole academic side of things, does anyone know if it is difficult to get onto a master program at Durham. I have a friend who did the same masters in Business and Finance but had a 2.1 in History from Durham. I only ask as I've had a look at this Sieverts Chap and he 'majored' in Marketing Logistics and Transportation & Supply Chain Management. If you ask me, that sounds like a complete joke of degree and one that I wouldn't imagine Durham would normally take into consideration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRAHa_Po0Kg
Christian Baker
NTU- 13 09-12
Nottingham Any number I could get 2010-12
Welwyn 93 2012-
poopjohnson

Postby poopjohnson Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 am

Fellas fellas fellas again we stray from the issues at hand. We get ourselves worked up on degrees and education but where will that get you? Honestly I dropped out of high school and work as a sanitation engineer, I am livin' the High Life (Champagne of beers). As usual we must get to the a little thing I like to call "Poop Johnson's Issues at Hand", call me the modern day Dan Rather, or the host from the Daytime Buffalo Emmy winning Nick News which might I add was hosted by the vivacious Linda Ellerby (If you don't believe me check it out http://www.nndb.com/people/608/00002453 ... -sized.jpg). Speaking of women who look like men, this is a nice little segway into "Poop Johnson's issues at Hand". The success of the Durham WoMEN'S lacrosse team has raised a hearty brown eyebrow of yours truly. Is there a direct correlation to the unbridled success of these two teams, yes and and that reason is a little term I like to call Cross Dressing. This phenomena started in 1992 with a Buffalo Oscar Winning film called Ladybugs staring the legendary Rodney Dangerfield, who sadly "don't get no respect". These American lads wear weaves and hair tracks disguising themselves as counterparts of the opposite sex. One of those Men's Lacrosse ( A long pole) even has the audacity to wear his weave during the Men's games, they are not even trying to hide it. It will be interesting to see in the Championship how the WoMEN's team transitions to the Men's team with over 40,000 fans attending the game. Guard all phone booths there will be no super-man change by these frauds, those are not big chested women those angry hoards of local lunatics in Durham feast on, they are MEN. This is a travesty people....A TRAVESTY. Look out for the WoMEN's lacrosse team with their abominable snowman like leg hair and scruff mcgruff beards. They look like this: http://assets0.thirddrawerdown.com/stat ... _popup.jpg

Lou reed, singer of take a walk on the wild side would be appalled if he knew these free spirited bear poking americans took his song literal. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwD261MHsc. Please discuss and Talk amongst yaselves!!
Last edited by poopjohnson on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 am

Good at lacrosse - yes
Opportunity to play abroad and study - yes
Would you turn that down? Have some rude obnoxious and jealous brat call you names?
I would suggest it would be water off a ducks back.
Why not have Durham as your benchmark and headhunt the current UK Sixth Formers to come to your institution, or find out which overseas Colleges your own university partners with and have a chat about exchanges - I'm sure you won't mind what they study.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am

Dining Room wrote:Good at lacrosse - yes
Would you turn that down? Have some rude obnoxious and jealous brat call you names?
Why not have Durham as your benchmark and headhunt the current UK Sixth Formers to come to your institution, or find out which overseas Colleges your own university partners with and have a chat about exchanges - I'm sure you won't mind what they study.

Agreed. A lot of people in this thread are giving lacrosse in this country a bitter, jealous and generally unfair representation.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
ScottStorey

Postby ScottStorey Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Dining Room wrote:Good at lacrosse - yes

Currently working on this ;) Although we dont have anywhere near as much money to throw at it, still giving it a stab.

I've changed my initial tune about Durham after finding out they actually do some good with the coaching in schools. Although they will still receive massive amounts of banter for being american every single game.
Sheffield Hallam - 2008 - Present
Sheffield Hallam Men's Chair - 08/09, 09/10, 10/11
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Back on the old days where Sheffield and Notts were the main NEMLA Unis's and before BUCS we'd get on the phone to our contacts at other clubs and find out who was looking at going to University the next season.......then bribe people with drink when we saw them. Don't need money.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
tobiasgoalie

Postby tobiasgoalie Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:29 am

Just seeing if people's opinions have changed in a year :). I would see Durham as a challenge more than anything else, someone to beat. Not had a chance to play them yet (personally) but looking like I may get the chance next season :D
Loughborough Lacrosse 2011-present
Phil D

Postby Phil D Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did do a search and couldn't find anything.

Was just thinking about who would win between Stockport and Durham and what are people's thoughts might be?

Phil
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Mon May 13, 2013 10:26 am

I'm ashamed to say I have no idea how good Durham are so would assume Stockport.

I'm aware that they've got a solid team of yanks but that's as in depth as my BUCS knowledge goes, I'm sorry to say.

Have they ever played any NEMLA / SEMLA teams?

I didn't see any of the England Unis games at the weekend - did any Durham lads play?
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
Phil D

Postby Phil D Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am

I don't know much more myself. I saw them play Loughborough, but other than that (and a few BUCS finals highlight videos) haven't seen them play.

I believe the the Durham 2s keeper made the English Unis side, but I don't think any of their 1st team trailed or entered. I've not heard of them playing any NEMLA / SEMLA sides - I get the impression Durham 1s come to play uni lacrosse, get BUCS points and that's about it... which is fair enough. Not sure if any of them train and/or play with the Newcastle guys?

Would be interesting to see a game.

Phil
bobby09

Postby bobby09 Mon May 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Having played Durham they would probably be a mid table prem 1 team. Offensively they always get a couple of really good players, but defensively their pretty week in comparison.

I think their scholarships restrict the matches they can play. As if they were injured during a nemla game then they wouldnt be able to play in bucs, which is the whole reason Durham invest in them.
alex_united

Postby alex_united Tue May 28, 2013 8:45 am

Personally i would'nt really worry. Eventually the uni will realise that its a waist of money spending it on the players just to win a UNI league. One of my friends played in the first team last year ( American ) He said stockport would beat them due to the fact all the yanks run and gun at the goal and have not really played much togeather. the problem with the sport is everyone moaning about "stockport or durham or cheadle etc... get on and play the games!! the only way to improve is play these teams and work ur arse off!
Knight

Postby Knight Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 pm

They dont really spend money on the players most are just on Euro fees rather than international, and by winning the uni league they get more BUCS points therefore better funding. Kinda a win win.

Return to “UK Uni”