Confused about Rules

Discuss womens lacrosse rules here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Rubbertree

Confused about Rules

Postby Rubbertree Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:57 pm

I started lacrosse a couple of months ago, and although my technique is improving, I am too scared to play in proper games, because I'm not sure what to do. I've read the rules time and time again but am still confused.

Where abouts exactly do players start out on the field? I know the rough positions, but these seem to change when playing a game.

Also, when substituting, how are you supposed to know where to go?

When playing, is there anywhere you can't run if you're in a certain position?

Is there a specific UK rule book?

Thanks very much, sorry about confusion... any advice would help.
hooters86

Postby hooters86 Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Your best bet is to probably watch a match, with someone to ask questions to e.t.c.
Harry Collins

Postby Harry Collins Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Some places to watch free streamed videos:

http://www.e-lacrosse.com/
http://www.laxtube.com/

There's a lot of guys games on these but look about a bit and there's some women's stuff.

I agree with the others though - best way to learn is to watch a game for real with someone who already plays so they can answer any questions you have.
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
chippie

Re: Confused about Rules

Postby chippie Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:35 am

Rubbertree wrote:Where abouts exactly do players start out on the field? I know the rough positions, but these seem to change when playing a game.

this depends on how your team plays, but basically teams are made up of defenders (point/cover point/3rd man) midfielders (2 wing defence and 2 wing attack and a centre) and attackers (1st home/2nd home/3rd home) and a goalie. Midfielders are usually expected to be able to play defence and attack, unlike netball, certain players are not restricted to where they can go, so a defender could run the ball from one end to the other.

Rubbertree wrote:Also, when substituting, how are you supposed to know where to go?

hopefully your coach should tell you who and where you are going on for/position you are playing

Rubbertree wrote:When playing, is there anywhere you can't run if you're in a certain position?

nope...only rule is on the goalie who can only go far as their attacking restraining line (about 3/4's up the pitch)

Rubbertree wrote:Is there a specific UK rule book?

The womens lacrosse rule book used in england is the international rulebook, they are available from the English Lacrosse head-office
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.

Return to “Womens Lacrosse Rules”