ProLaxShop

Goalkeeper possession

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
bobmac

Goalkeeper possession

Postby bobmac Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Ball falls to the ground within the goal crease. The goalkeeper, who has both feet outside of the crease clamps the ball. If the goalkeeper then shuffles into the crease, whilst keeping the ball clamped, is he guilty of re-entering the crease?
"A goalkeeper or defending player who is outside the goal crease area and who has the ball in his possession may not enter the goal crease area"

Can the goalie's stick be legally checked if he is wholly out of the crease but he is clamping the ball within the crease?
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Goalkeeper possession

Postby rpowell Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm

OK, my view:

If no part of his body is touching the ground insude the crease, then he does not have the usual goalkeeper privileges. He doesn't have possession yet - it's just a loose ball covered by a stick.

He can be checked.

He can move so as to enter the crease, and possession starts when he's grounded in the crease. At that point he cannot be checked. And the count will of course begin.

And if he just sits there with his stick covering the ball, he will be guilty of witholding the ball from play - same as a field player. I'd be tempted to give him a little more latitude, but not too much :)

Not a situation I remember seeing in a game...
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 am

rpowell wrote:<null>

Rob's got it in one.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18 am

rpowell wrote:OK, my view:

If no part of his body is touching the ground insude the crease, then he does not have the usual goalkeeper privileges. He doesn't have possession yet - it's just a loose ball covered by a stick.

He can be checked.

He can move so as to enter the crease, and possession starts when he's grounded in the crease. At that point he cannot be checked. And the count will of course begin.

And if he just sits there with his stick covering the ball, he will be guilty of witholding the ball from play - same as a field player. I'd be tempted to give him a little more latitude, but not too much :)

Not a situation I remember seeing in a game...

Rob's got it in one.
LMLAX6

Postby LMLAX6 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 pm

Not 100% sure on the rules but i think you can check his stick because hes out of the crease. Also he can go back into the crease because he doesnt have possesion, there he can pick up the ball

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”