ProLaxShop

Mesh Colours

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Moaning Git

Mesh Colours

Postby Moaning Git Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:59 pm

As more and more players seem to be using multi coloured mesh, I though this may be of interest.

Fil Rule Interpretation July 2010

Rule 16.6 The mesh of the net must be substantially all of one color.
Ruling
In Rule 16.6 , the phrase “substantially of one color” means “all of one color”.

This relates specifically to the MESH. Yes, the shooting strings can be a color different
from the mesh.

It seems to me that the rules need to be changed as to have an interpretation that confers a different meaning than the wording of the rule is sloppy to say the least, but in case of doubt the interpretation is likely to be used in games at least by panel refs.
the pom

Re: Mesh Colours

Postby the pom Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

so what is the case if you are using a trad strung stick and not a mesh

quite often the case the leather can be brown and the strings white
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:51 pm

legal

This rule is before the FIL Rules Committee with a view to bringing a rule change to the General Assembly. The consensus at the moment appears to be that the FIL should adopt the NCAA wording of the mesh must be all of one colour.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:00 am

dblacklock wrote:legal

This rule is before the FIL Rules Committee with a view to bringing a rule change to the General Assembly. The consensus at the moment appears to be that the FIL should adopt the NCAA wording of the mesh must be all of one colour.

So the clarification refers specifically to the mesh, meaning the shooting/sidewall strings can be different colours? and will do even after its been taken to the General assembly?

also (as Pom points out) still leaves the trad strung ones in some confusion, does the cross lace have to be all one colour and the same colour as the leathers or can they be different because they are not 'mesh'? e.g. would this one be legal? http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310 ... CN6958.jpg (bit of an extreme example I know but as I own it...)

As I understand it, the point of the rule is to stop a player from painting a white circle in his pocket to trick the keeper/defence with. Is that still the case? I think what I'm getting at is what exactly is the rule trying to prevent players from doing that has a detrimental effect on the game?
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:11 am

Substantially does not mean all. It would be unreasonable to expect the common man to understand substantially as meaning all, when the actual dictionary definition does not allow it to do so.

So this is open to interpretation.

If the actual meaning behind the rule is ensure that mesh is all one colour, then the rules should be changed to reflect that.

Any string holding the mesh to the crosse e.g sidewall etc.. is not mesh and so not subject to the rule.

In traditional pockets all the strings (bar shooters) and leather combine to create a "mesh"

There is no need to adopt NCAA ruling, I'm sure we are intelligent enough to create our own, that successfully prevents the mischief in question.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:00 pm

photo sent on to the FIL for review.

Wait and see what happens, but this will not be before next summer
Don Blacklock

I'll referee the perfect game

only when you play the perfect game.
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:13 am

*bump* what happened with this?
Soton Uni #33 05-12
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Rule change passed at the FIL GA last month which deleted the word substantial from the wording, so in essence multi coloured mesh would be permissible. Only caveat is that the mesh cannot make it look like there is a ball in the stick when there is not, and that it cannot make it look like there is no ball in the stick when in fact there is.

Now up to the ELA to adopt the rule changes or not.
the pom

Postby the pom Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:03 pm

so a solid white mesh which would hide the ball as they are both the same is now illegal?
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:15 pm

Don what is the actual wording of the rule now.

The old wording was Rule 16.6 The mesh of the net must be substantially all of one color.

If you delete substantially from the rule then that would make multi colour mesh illegal, or am i getting this totally mixed up?

Pom, use an orange ball you clot!
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Waiting on the wording and will post when I have this. But up to ELA if they implement
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Cheers Don
LMLAX6

Postby LMLAX6 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:19 pm

The mesh can be multicolored its just some players used to make a white blotch where the ball rests in there stick so the defense thinks they have to ball and the person with the ball can score easier
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:40 am

Not in Uk rules, I am still unclear of the FIL position
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Wed May 08, 2013 1:12 pm

Any advancement on this? I've been in hospital for the entire season plus a bit and it's still not been sorted...
Soton Uni #33 05-12
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Tue May 14, 2013 7:30 pm

In the English game, mesh comes in brown or grey (at least after a couple of games). So do balls (if not lost before being used for more than an hour).
P Davidson

Postby P Davidson Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:49 pm

If anyone is still unclear about this, the old rule was:

16.6 The mesh of the net must be substantially all of one colour.

This was deleted at the FIL General Assembly Meeting, Amsterdam, June 2012. It has been left in the FIL rule book as "16.6 Deleted June 2012, Amsterdam, FIL General Assembly", but We have removed completely from the New English Rules 2013.

The only thing to be aware of is, that rule 16.8 still applies, which is:

"16.8 No player shall use a crosse that is constructed or strung or
tampered with to confuse an opponent into believing that the
ball is in the stick when it is not, or that the ball is not in the
stick when it is".

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

PD
When you play a perfect game I'll call one!
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Thank you kindly :D

which means that (if I could or wanted) I can play a league game with the head in this picture: http://s171.photobucket.com/user/min_sa ... 8.jpg.html (the one I posted before...4th post in thread?) and it be legal because apart from being a variety of colours (to make it easier to see where the strings go so I can learn) it is not strung to confuse?
Soton Uni #33 05-12
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 am

Good point. I thought they removed the 16.6 because the wording was ambiguous, and no alternative could be agreed. 16.8 is no better, and is open to a wide interpretation i.e. I'm the ref and I'll decide what your intentions are/ were. Mind you you should be playing men's lacrosse with a white ball, but you are allowed to have an all white head with all white stringing!

In the women's game you are allowed to have all all yellow head, and all yellow stringing!
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
PiotreX

Postby PiotreX Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:07 pm

I guess it's up to the coaches and retailers to ask their respective Associations on the interpretation. From what I've heard, the Polish Lacrosse Federation is taking the stance that multicolored mesh is legal. I'm guessing if the mesh is bought that way and not specifically tampered with or strung with a circular shooter (that could be looked at as imitating the presence of a ball) nobody should have problems with multicolored mesh. Definitely two-three colored mesh should not be an issue if none of the colors is the ball color. Anyway as standard mesh gets dirty, more so does waxed mesh as everything just sticks to the wax (that doesn't stop me from using it). With the speeds we're chucking the ball at, and the pinch of the sticks, I think concealment of the ball isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. I hope more attention will be going to us not hurting each other on the field. Reckless play has definitely been an issue in Poland these past few years, from torn ACLs, busted ribs, broken bones. Not much effort going into removing dangerous equipment (wavy poles and trick strung pockets included). Enough ranting on my part ;)
I like to string and I like to help my fellow stringers. Drop me a line if you need help, be it stringing mesh pockets, custom pockets, repairs etc.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”