ProLaxShop

Shooting Underarm

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
julius125

Shooting Underarm

Postby julius125 Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:52 pm

I've been playing for just over 2 years now, so I'm pretty well suited to overarm shooting, decent speed, decent accuracy...

I've also tried shooting underarm now and again, but I've never tried or even considered doing it in a game let alone a friendly scrimmage... When I've tried it the shot is really weak and inaccurate...

I'd really like to learn how to improve on it so I can shooting underarm as well as I can overarm, making me a bit more versatile up in attack... Does anyone know HOW to shoot underarm, as in a good technique, or if there is a right way of doing it?

Or does anyone just think it's a bad idea...

Cheers...
fight, dress your wounds, then fight again...

Croydon #51
Kent Lacrosse #51

Any views expressed by 'julius125' are not necessarily those held by Croydon Lacrosse Club, who should not be held responsible for any offence that may be interpreted from my posts on any forums.
Aico

Postby Aico Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 am

If you have a lot of hold and whip it's not that difficult. Still it will be weaker than overhand. It can be nice to shoot underhand so it blocks the goalies view or to shoot underneath the defender.
webby

Postby webby Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:32 pm

Underarm or side-arm? Underarm shots are from below waist height, almost taking the form of a golf swing or ice hockey slap shot. A side arm shot is generally above the waist, almost like a baseball swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syznY3kdoV0

Same idea as a normal shot, you plant your opposite foot in front, transfer your weight from back foot to front foot and get the torque from your body twisting. If you stick as no whip the ball can come out too soon and end up going wide. If your stick has too much whip, the ball sticks in the pocket and the shot will go wide in the opposite direction.

Overhand shots are generally harder for the goalie to save as they can go either high or low, independent of how the shot is prepared. Side arm and underarm are generally easier to judge as the ball tends to come at the same level the stick starts at. However, side arm shots are useful for shooting from the outside and shooting off a defenders hip, which can surprise a goalie.
Last edited by webby on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
julius125

Re:

Postby julius125 Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:37 pm

webby wrote:Underarm or side-arm? Underarm shots are from below waist height, almost taking the form of a golf swing or ice hockey slap shot. A side arm shot is generally above the waist, almost like a baseball swing.

I'm talking about shooting from below the waist... :wink:
fight, dress your wounds, then fight again...

Croydon #51
Kent Lacrosse #51

Any views expressed by 'julius125' are not necessarily those held by Croydon Lacrosse Club, who should not be held responsible for any offence that may be interpreted from my posts on any forums.
6x6

Re:

Postby 6x6 Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:00 pm

webby wrote:Underarm or side-arm? Underarm shots are from below waist height, almost taking the form of a golf swing or ice hockey slap shot. A side arm shot is generally above the waist, almost like a baseball swing.

Overhand shots are generally harder for the goalie to save as they can go either high or low, independent of how the shot is prepared. Side arm and underarm are generally easier to judge as the ball tends to come at the same level the stick starts at. However, side arm shots are useful for shooting from the outside and shooting off a defenders hip, which can surprise a goalie.

IMO the overhand shot is preferable to most others as it is generally more accurate but the underhand shot can also be either high (riser) or low. Voice on the audio says "probably the hardest for a goalie to find", which would seem to dispute your statement. While not a goalie, IMO any shot that changes the plane, as with an underhand riser, is very diffucult for a goalie as it adds another dimension to making the save.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
webby

Re: Re:

Postby webby Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:38 pm

6x6 wrote:
webby wrote:IMO the overhand shot is preferable to most others as it is generally more accurate but the underhand shot can also be either high (riser) or low. Voice on the audio says "probably the hardest for a goalie to find", which would seem to dispute your statement. While not a goalie, IMO any shot that changes the plane, as with an underhand riser, is very difficult for a goalie as it adds another dimension to making the save.

I hadn't listened to the audio as my computer was on mute, I just found a video that showed the technique. I know underarm shots can change plane, but overhand shots can be placed high or low with the same shot technique, while a side/uderarm shots tend to end up where the stick starts/ends (not being a goalie I can't remember which!). From my experience playing with a number of different goalies, most find a good overhand shot harder to deal with as you cannot guess the trajectory, and the shooter can use a bounce shot for an added challenge, while a sidearm/underarm shot doesn't really "bounce" but "skip". They're also easier to fake. But then again, I only get to shoot a couple times a season!

Would be cool to get the opinions of a couple goalies...

That being said, a side arm or underarm (especially low to high) that picks out a corner does look a lot more impressive.

In terms of technique, watch a couple videos of the pros and get a pile of balls and pepper the net! Go to practice early or stay late and experiment.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
UKLaxfan

Re: Shooting Underarm

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 pm

julius125 wrote:I've been playing for just over 2 years now, so I'm pretty well suited to overarm shooting, decent speed, decent accuracy...

I love this line :D

And next week I'm going to learn to play the piano 8)

All shooting is about practice and refining your technique to improve power, accuracy, consistency and deception.

the more you practice your shooting the better it will get

as for shooting underarm or sidearm both are fine if you can hit what you're aiming at, the same fundamental mechanics determine success

The guy in youtube clip who says the underarm shot is the hardest for goalies to read is also the bloke who shoots underarm all the time and says coaches are always telling him to shoot overarm :idea:

There is also the difference between Box & Field, in box the Submarine shot has less chance of bouncing over the bar when it skips off the floor as it will tend to stay low. In field you are pretty much taking shooting into the top half of the goal out of the picture.

As soon as you drop the head of your stick to shoot most decent goalies will drop their stick in anticipation of a low shot.

Some players have the ability to shoot Low-to-High with great success eg Conor Ford or Mike Powell but they are the exception even at the top level.

The best area for the underarm shot is 1-on-1 with the goalie around the crease, in this situation you are trying to get a quick release and get your shot off low before the goalie can get his stick down.
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:12 pm

learn to shoot accurately, with power and with deception overarm WITH BOTH HANDS before you worry about shooting underarm. Being a two-handed shooter will give you far more versatility, make your a harder player to defend and add a lot more to your game than a shot you may use once a game if your lucky and the opportunity presents.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
6x6

Re:

Postby 6x6 Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:15 pm

laxwill11 wrote:learn to shoot accurately, with power and with deception overarm WITH BOTH HANDS before you worry about shooting underarm. Being a two-handed shooter will give you far more versatility, make your a harder player to defend and add a lot more to your game than a shot you may use once a game if your lucky and the opportunity presents.

Excellent advice! There are a number of great players in the higher levels of lacrosse that are almost all righty or lefty. Yet, these guys have exceptional skills in all facets of the game that allows them to excell while very often only shooting with their dominent hand.

However, the average player not so adept at getting open, getting a shot off or shooting it in the mid-upper 90's needs to be more versatile as Laxwill states.

Said too many times in games, "if that guy had a left hand that would have been a goal". Also a disciplined defenseman can shut down a one dimensioanl player becasue he can pretty much disregard the shooters off hand knowing that even if he gets a shot off it will not be accurate or an easy save for the goalie.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:58 am

6x6

Postby 6x6 Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Man that was some UGLY shooting!
whopead

Postby whopead Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Even these top players cant pick the corner from 10 yards!

Yet you whach Rabil in a game and he seems to rip loads in!
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:41 am

One thing that springs to mind watching this video and from watching a few others on youtube etc is that accuracy is NOT actually that important, if you have a very powerful shot.

Obviously in an ideal world you hit the corner and at speed, but if you think about it, a crank at 90mph with a well hidden ball (eg where the head of the stick comes from behidn the head/body of the attacker) gives the goalie such little reaction time that the ball only has to be slightly away from the goalie's body/or stick if shot at such a pace.

Watch the amount of goals that actually go in from that sort of distance which aren't right in the corners...think you'll be surprised.

Reminds me of certain cricket coaches differing views on fast bowling...some maintain it's all about line and length and accuracy, whereas others want their bowlers to run ain and bowl as fast as possible. Both schools of thought have their merit, but as a batsman, I maintain that no-one like facing really fast bowling. Similarly I imagine no goalie really likes getting shot at at 95 clicks either.

Think about it - two shooters one shoots fast and wild 5 shots, maybe 2 wide, one on target but at goalies stick, and 2 a bit away from goalie and a goal. The other accurate but slow shot, 5 on target, but a decent goalie will snaffle the majority of them anyway. That's my two cents.
Dubai Lacrosse #3
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:54 am

You're correct there are two differing schools of thought on this
One thing that springs to mind watching this video and from watching a few others on youtube etc is that accuracy is NOT actually that important, if you have a very powerful shot.

This phrase pretty much defines lacrosse over the last 10 years, IMHO not for the better.

If all it needs is to be able to throw the ball at 95+ mph, then why bother learning to dodge, feed or cut?

or in other words learning to play the game.

What are the other five players meant to do while Big&Daft throws another 100mph shot?

Act as ball boys or watch waiting for the 1-in-10 that goes in?

Essentially, I disagree with this philosophy.

Historically, the top point scorers & goal scorers have been exceptionally accurate and deceptive finishers as well as creative players rather than being hurlers of 100mph fastballs.

Stan Cockerton
Tim Nelson
Gary Gait
Tom Marechek
Zach Greer

The exception being Matt Danowski who could shoot at 105mph but didn't rely on that for most of his points, it was a bonus

similarly indoor accuracy & creativity are rewarded more than just power alone

Josh Sanderson
Colin Doyle
Lewis Ratcliff
Jeff Zywicki
John Tavares

The exception being John Grant Jr who can shoot 100mph but he's... well he's John Grant Jr!

The other extreme to this are the players who can't shoot from more than 5 yards but still find success, two of my favourites are Bobby Benson who was the Top Scorer all four years he played at Johns Hopkins and BJ Prager (Princeton). I don't think either of them ever took a shot from 10 yards but both finished their NCAA careers having scored over 100 goals.
young_trig

Postby young_trig Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 am

Accuracy (with a little bit of power) wins it for me!
So many times I see attackers waster there chances trying to score with a power shot when all they had to do was find a corner.

Watch 17 seconds in........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUefhjkSnI
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm

couldnt agree more UKLF. but then, i struggle to shoot higher than 50-60mph and am all about accuracy from 8yds and closer...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...

Return to “Attack Tips”