ProLaxShop

advice!!!

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
laxkid14

advice!!!

Postby laxkid14 Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 pm

hi everyone,
our team have got a big match this saturday, cup game and i am defence captain. i was wondering if anyone knew of some good tactics, plays for defence. i know cylinder defence, triangle(obviously), sliding 1+2 etc... was wondering if anyone could give me some stuff
cheers
Kris

P.S before thrsday would be good as we have our last training before the match :D
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:24 pm

Surely stick to what you've been training on all season, whether that be a 6 man zone, man-on-man hard/soft, or 5 man zone with chase whatever you have been doing and working on is best to stick witrh what you know. If the opposition start to recognise/beat your set up regularly, then you should have a contingency plan obviously, but if you've been doing one thing well in training all season etc why change it the week before a big game?
Dubai Lacrosse #3
Princess

Re:

Postby Princess Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:57 pm

DommoBath wrote:Surely stick to what you've been training on all season, whether that be a 6 man zone, man-on-man hard/soft, or 5 man zone with chase whatever you have been doing and working on is best to stick witrh what you know. If the opposition start to recognise/beat your set up regularly, then you should have a contingency plan obviously, but if you've been doing one thing well in training all season etc why change it the week before a big game?

agree its bit late to tinker
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
laxkid14

Postby laxkid14 Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:04 pm

cheers for advice
but im only in u14's so i know most of the stuff you suggested but what is hard/soft man on man?
cheers
laxkid14
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:04 pm

it refers to the agression with which you play ( I guess, thats what I'd use the words for)
ie hard d would be agressive, pushing out to your man to try and pressure the ball. Soft d would allow more sagging off from your man, less pressure but less chance of getting beaten.
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
kjk20

Re:

Postby kjk20 Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:57 am

Tom_Southampton wrote:it refers to the agression with which you play ( I guess, thats what I'd use the words for)
ie hard d would be agressive, pushing out to your man to try and pressure the ball. Soft d would allow more sagging off from your man, less pressure but less chance of getting beaten.

Yup, that's what it is, a decision of how hard you're going to chase when playing a zone. Ranges from just worrying them a little bit to playing a full on backer zone.

I'd just reinforce the basics of what you've been playing so far. It has worked to get you to where you are now, so why should it fail you now? Having said that, it's always good to have something to fall back on if things don't go as planned. That generally involves getting some sort of zone set up. Only do this if your teammates are quick at picking up new concepts though.

Good luck.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
laxkid14

Postby laxkid14 Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:50 pm

cheers everyone
laxkid14 :D

Return to “Defence Tips”