ProLaxShop

Defence Camaraderie

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
lead_head11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby lead_head11 Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:31 pm

Nothing to do with gettin hit i love it! but have u seen our midfield!!?? They never seem to cover. Another reason is the sprint back up the field when u either do a really cr*p shot and the goalie clears or your team loses the ball and u have to get back....thats my reasoning behind never crossing half way
tom3

Postby tom3 Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:47 pm

goldenboy wrote:I'm going to humour you because i'm curious. How did you score from the defensive restrainer?? And lead head if the chance arrives you've got to go over - sure you may get hit but its all good fun and if you do score you'll remember it.

For starters it was more like the half way line. Our(mersey's) goalie cleared the ball by running to sheffield's restrainer, passed it to an attacker who shot straight away. Save, clear, shot, basically, think it was in sheffield's half though. Also technically it was the attacker's goal who touched it last i guess :lol:
rhodrigo27

Postby rhodrigo27 Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:58 pm

the keeper made a silly run got checked on the half way line and the ball rolled to me, so i thought i would have a dig, longest bounce shot ever i imagine
G'Day Bruce..............

Warrior lacrosse equipment
goldenboy

Postby goldenboy Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 am

An empty netter? I'm disappointed. Was hoping for some massive defensive/keeper cock-up. My only goal for Penarth was one of those. In the Bath 8's this year playing Bath Exiles I intercepted their clear and crossed over - as I reached the restrainer two defenders slid to me so I popped the ball to our attacker on the crease. He ducks out of the way of it surprising the Exiles keeper who stares at the ball as it bounces past him into the top corner. I believe the keeper was drunk too!!

And lead head having seen one or two of the UWIC games I know what you mean. Longpole goes over - UWIC offside!!
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:14 am

whopead, i heard you deployed the cockney-binman dodge to great effect!!

Anyone got other prefered dodges with a long pole?

I'm a big fan of the canoeing some D poles start doing when they get a bit further up the pitch. As if to say "I may be entering sh*t creek but I have a very large paddle"
rhodrigo27

Postby rhodrigo27 Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:07 am

as previously mentioned i dont dodge, or you could say my dodge is running at the smallest middie i can find to get over the half way line,, works to great effect for me! helps if you have a nice (deep) pocked and a polonco style cradle!!!

goldenboy

Postby goldenboy Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Anyone thats seen Toby, our 6ft 7 longpole with a width to match and size 18 feet??!! may have seen his power cradle. He favours rhodrigo's run over the midfield tactic rather than running around them. Because of his size however size of the opposition just isnt a concern for him!! It has to be said stick skills are the weakest element of my game but since my injury I've tried to do a bit of work on it since I was unable to do any contact work.
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:22 pm

its true, i saw GB pick up a GB the other day without running right over it! and after a lil bit of shooting practise last week - goalies of the south beware!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
whopead

Postby whopead Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:45 pm

Well...it started as a dodge till i realised that i couldnt do it...then it became the "cockney Binman" dance which worked perfectley!!
Pretty sure it wont happen again tho!!
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
goldenboy

Postby goldenboy Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:51 am

laxwill11 wrote:its true, i saw GB pick up a GB the other day without running right over it! and after a lil bit of shooting practise last week - goalies of the south beware!

I was as shocked as you!! Did a double take to check it was in my stick!!
tarvaa

Postby tarvaa Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:11 pm

I think if you got the oppurtunity and foot speed to make a break with the d-pole take it. I have scored d-pole in a few of UEA's games this year taking the chance when it arises!

Peace
Dave254023

Postby Dave254023 Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:00 pm

I agree, I have two goals to my name this season. My crease defence also has one!! I admit one of mine was due to shoddy goal keeping, but the second was from the restrainer. Keepers hate D pole shooters, hard to judge the power and angle due to the big and exaggerated swing!!! :D

D pole goal!!
rhodrigo27

Postby rhodrigo27 Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:56 pm

i scored again yesterday, just stripped a guy n broke up field, no slide shot bottom corner, another one for me! thats 4 this season

goldenboy

Postby goldenboy Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:07 pm

I heard all about that today - Wills was saying he was free on the crease but you went for glory. Good work!!!
yannsport

Postby yannsport Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:01 pm

Once you've crossed the halfway line with a d-pole, I reckon you might as well carry on to the goal until somebody slides to you - and if they don't then well...it's only fair!?
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:03 pm

it's the one rule of playing long pole isn't it?

if you get over the half way line you either:

a) have a nose bleed and drop the ball for no good reason, or
b) get tunnel vision and go straight for goal no matter what
Ninja

Postby Ninja Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:09 pm

It's gotta be answer B on that one chief! a true D-pole should not even look to passs but relish the opportunity to send middies bouncing back after foolish attempts to floor us! It'a all about the D!
Defenseman42

Postby Defenseman42 Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:47 pm

Shame I usually end up with option B :?
Dave254023

Postby Dave254023 Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:11 pm

There is one other alternative i have seen but yet to have an effect normally resulting in a big big hit!!

D-man comes thundering down the pitch, eyes set on goal. Defensive team slides, d man off loads to free attacker and continues to nail it down the pitch for the quick feed back!
Either the attack man holds the ball and doesn't trust a d man to finish it or tends to through a ridiculously dangerous pass; so as the d man trys to straighten up to catch, either keeper or goalie nail the guy!! I have seen this happen a few times very funny to watch!!!
Hillcroft D-Man #3
Swansea D-man #3 05/06 & 06/07
Let your game do the talking!
lead_head11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby lead_head11 Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:00 pm

That has happend 2 me and if i'm right it was u Swanse D-man(Dave254023)
Got sent sprawling across the pitch, but i did catch the suicide pass from my forward!

Return to “Defence Tips”