ProLaxShop

Can I use this stick legally?

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Rochielax22

Can I use this stick legally?

Postby Rochielax22 Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:41 pm

This exact question has been posted below with no answers, so I thought I would rephrase it a bit...

I've just returned from playing and coaching in the U.S, whilst at a tournament there a number of players were using the below "reverse U" in their pockets. These tournaments play FIL rules, but I guess an adapted American version, so wanted to check what the referees over here had to say.

The stick still passes all of the normal checks, however the rules on mesh are so open to interpretation that I wasn't sure if it would get called at the first chance. (FIL rulebook: http://filacrosse.com/wp-content/themes ... 5_v1-0.pdf )

The season starts soon, so it'd be good to have an answer to this on here, rather than cost my team a goal! Any help would be much appreciated!
cjlax

Re: Can I use this stick legally?

Postby cjlax Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 pm

16.2 to 16.4 are going to be the obvious points in question really...

Is it designed to withhold the ball from play? What is the string's purpose down there?

Does it "retard" the normal free dislodgement of the ball from the stick?

Does it give you an advantage over your opponent?

Personally I would say it is far easier to argue YES to each of these questions than it is to argue no.
It certainly adds to preventing the ball from being dislodged in the same way when compared to a head that doesn't have one. you could also then say yes you probably would get an advantage if it can't be dislodged.
Rochielax22

Postby Rochielax22 Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:41 am

I was really frustrated reading those rules, because they are so vague and open to interpretation.

By the same merit, could my team string sticks with only shooting strings, and call a stick check on a player with a standard U? We know the U gives an advantage, that's why it's illegal in NCAA now.

The purpose of the reverse U in this case is to do with the head more than the mesh. The STX Hammer is an extremely wide head, so it forces the ball to sit in the "sweet spot" rather than roam around in the pocket.

By that logic it gives me an advantage over another player with a defensive head... but it CERTAINLY is no harder to dislodge the ball from than from a midfield or attack style head that has a natural pinch.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:09 am

Have the referee's been given any guidance on how to interpret these rules?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
MAD

Postby MAD Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Carry out a stick check!!!!
if it fails then the answer is no! it isnt legal.

The procedure can be found in the FIL referees manual.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:56 pm

MAD wrote:Carry out a stick check!!
if it fails then the answer is no! it isnt legal.

The procedure can be found in the FIL referees manual.

perfect
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
MAD

Postby MAD Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01 pm

All joking apart
Are you going down to Bath, if so get one of the refs to stick check it for you privately
There certainly isnt a problem with the mesh that i can see from the Photo.
A side shot to check how the ball sits in the pocket would be helpful.
ball being trapped could be an issue! thats why i say get it checked

Mad
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:47 am

Rules Below

No player shall use a crosse that is constructed or strung so as
to be designed to withhold the ball from play.
No player shall use a crosse of trick construction or stringing
which tends to retard
the normal and free dislodgement of the
ball by an opponent.
No stick may be tampered with in any way so as to give a
player an advantage over his opponent

As I understand it, refs are told that a stick which passes a stick check is legal and one that doesn't isn't and that no other test should be carried out. This is why it's important that the test is always carried out the same way.
kanwal

Postby kanwal Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:45 am

Due to multiple obstacles that would result in a depleted side for both teams this year (coaching commitments, player availability, national events schedules, etc), the decision was made to combine the two sides for an England Universities representation at this year’s tournament. The selection process for this team will consist of a central trial for all players, followed by the reestablishing of the “North v South” game on the same day.The team will be selected through a joint effort between South and North Universities head coaches Vince Grimes and Alistair Hodgson, and be coached by Alistair Hodgson on the competition weekend. :oops: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by kanwal on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:23 pm

is the stick check not a random call to be interpreted by every ref differently but never questions as every ref is right all the time
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”