ProLaxShop

Leg Pads

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Wolfey1313

Postby Wolfey1313 Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:09 pm

yeah fraid my secret is out now...... darn.........
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
Rian

Postby Rian Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:37 am

I've started wearing american football pants with the knee protectors in, cos I don't mind getting hit as long as there's no lasting damage. And knees tend to get messed up quite easily...at least mine do! Other than that just lightweight chest protector, box, gloves and helmet. Have had some interesting slashes on my arms from excursions up the pitch...
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
vipe

Postby vipe Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:40 am

I'm down to Chestpad (the less I feel there, the better), Gloves, Helmet and mainly my wonderful goalie pants. best £30 ever spent plus it works for girls too! only thing is that they don't let you bend or run without digging in a bit. Only real negative point is that the pads keep on coming out of their pockets...refs always look funny at you when you ask for a time out and put your trousers down :D

Knee shots haven't bothered me that much lately but I do keep my elbow pads close to me for some games...
Go
Golden Eagle #2

Postby Golden Eagle #2 Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 am

I do wear shin pads, but coming from roller hockey, they're an integral part of my game, I use my stick alot, it's not like I have no skill with it :lol:
I just find that my shin pads are good for sliding across the crease in desperation if I've been burned...
Rian

Postby Rian Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:27 am

I think each to their own...if you can stop shots and start a fast break, then it really doesn't matter what you're wearing.
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
LaMonster51

Postby LaMonster51 Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:38 pm

whats a pitch?
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:18 pm

LaMonster51 wrote:whats a pitch?

It's the big green thing we play the game on :?
LaMonster51

Postby LaMonster51 Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:33 am

ooo a feild?
Livlax

Postby Livlax Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:58 am

not only do you have a limted vocab then, but you also spelt field wrong :roll:
CelticLaxer

Postby CelticLaxer Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:45 am

(New to the forums, so pardon the late comment)

When I started playing, I wore American football pants- thigh & knee pads only. They were minimal, didn't slow me down to any noticeable degree, and enabled me to focus on stopping shots, even after getting hit.

A MAJOR bonus was that it encouraged me to focus on my stick for shots to the pipes & not thinking about keeping it in to protect my body.

Over time, I took out the knee pads, then ditched them altogether. All in all, it was a great way to develop confidence and focus on SAVES, not PROTECTION. I have recommended it to several young men's & women's goalies I've coached, early in their development or when the fear of getting hit is getting in the way of saves.

Works well, I highly recommend it, and it doesn't mean that a player has to wear them forever... but keep those shins exposed!!
UKLaxfan

Leg Pads

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:28 pm

What's the deal with Goalies wanting to show shins

Brian Dougherty of Philly Barrage wears a leg pad. He is also probably the top goalie in the MLL and not a Gammer.

CGKer

Re: Leg Pads

Postby CGKer Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:What's the deal with Goalies wanting to show shins

Brian Dougherty of Philly Barrage wears a leg pad. He is also probably the top goalie in the MLL and not a Gammer.

Dave

He has/had an injury. Think an Absis was removed from this chin bone?

If your new then no reason not to wear pads but you should try and ween yourself of really. But what ever works for you will do. Could be a new style!! Not!!
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.
EGLC #19
G&J #60
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:33 pm

There seems to be a few goalies who wear padding on injuries but it usually the non-stickside leg. Colluccini & Pfeifer have both worn pads.

Why not wear it for prevention rather than cure?
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:10 pm

The off stick shin is one of the most bruised part of the body on a goalie, and repeated inpact caused any number of issues, calcium deposits, vericous viens, general pain and discomfort.

I don't agree with shin pads if you have healthy shins. My theory is if you wear them on healthy shins your legs will become dependant on the padding, and eventually the pads will not be enough and you will need a larger pad, where if you dont wear them you will not feel the pain as much.

Either way you need to be able to give all or your focus to the ball, if that means wearing a pad on your shin then do it, but at least try it with out and see how you do.
laxbuff519

Laxy Pads

Postby laxbuff519 Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:30 pm

We have the same problem in the SouthEast. I have always worn pants or high soccer socks but never any padding. I dont even like the gerdals that all the goalies are wearing. I got a newer larger chest protect about 8 months ago and still am not used to it. And the only reason I got one is for my fiance. Someone needs to toughen up these new goalies.
Paul~6

Postby Paul~6 Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:02 am

Shin Pads are a must in my eyes, there the worst place to get hit :? i used to wear full leg pads as a youngster, but as everyone shots were loopy and all over the place i rather i was safe than hurting after every game :P tho recently, ive taken many shots to my knee's, they dont tend to hurt too much during the game, but an hour or so after they can really put the pain and pressure in moving around...fleshy parts like your thighs/calfs? pfft take the hit it'll be over in about 20seconds :wink:
steve flint

Postby steve flint Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:10 pm

leg pads for mens field lacrosse may save you a few bruises, but slow you down on the clear, and theyre very girly... i live by the old addage.... chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again

Return to “Goalie Tips”