ProLaxShop

What stick?

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:54 pm

Any one want to try these

http://www.mohawkintlacrosse.com/products/FrameSet.htm

Wooden box stick!! Mohawk styleHistory
Mohawk International Lacrosse is the last remaining manufacturer of Lacrosse Sticks on the Akwesasne Reservation. The sport of lacrosse has been played by the Mohawk people for several hundred years, even before the 1500's. Over the centuries, the art of Manufacturing a lacrosse stick has been passed down from one generation of Mohawk craftspeople to another.

Since 1928, lacrosse sticks have been commercially manufactured in Akwesasne. At one point, Akwesasne manufactured 97 percent of the World's output of lacrosse sticks. With the introduction of plastic sticks the demand for wooden lacrosse sticks from Akwesasne, dwindled.

Today, the situation is much different. Lacrosse has taken off as a worldwide sport and lacrosse stick manufacturing is a vibrant growing industry. Even the wooden lacrosse stick, which Akwesasne is known for, is once again in demand.

Mohawk International Lacrosse is the company to turn to for lacrosse sticks (wooden or plastic). We invented the game, why not let us design the sticks.
Jewellery,Wooden Shafts,Lacrosse Antiques,Lax Art * Random kit
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:59 pm

sums it up nicely thanks Cheeky. I found myself struggling somewhat to counter the argument that they were simply thugish yet I'm very glad to have a decent argument in favour as I love the woody and do use it for training as well. I tend to choose between wood and C405 alloy depending on what style of game its going to be. lots of time with the ball, carrying ti out of defence etc=alloy, a battle royal type=wood
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:02 pm

nope but i quite fancy the mohawk thunder head, looks like it would never ever break and deal out some monster poke checks

South Unis #6 (once)
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Tom it is something I am "toying" with !

Also trying to trace a company , that used to make a composite aluminium centre with Hickory on the outside!! mmmmm :shock:
cjlax

Postby cjlax Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:45 pm

I've tried the Mowhawk.. The heads are wickedly strong and are off set like the Gait/Debeer DLX Shockwave.

Their Titanium shafts are extremely good! Cheap and strong but a little weighty. For all of those Hickory users out there - you will be used to the weight!

A good idea cheaky - Get onto it!!
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:50 pm

WHOOO HOOO!!!
Princess

Postby Princess Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:29 pm

if start getting this stuff in the heads much cop? im still looking for a new head lookstrong tho ive broken a revo and bent a wizard so could be the answer im thinking
:D
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:33 pm

What do all you D-men think of the old style Revo, not the Pro, I've damaged my head in a bit of a temper tantrum and can't afford a new pro right now whats the original Revo like? The alternative is a pinched wizard 2nd hand, now that I fancy

South Unis #6 (once)
bear

Postby bear Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:09 pm

old style revo is brilliant been with me for a year and a half now hasnt got as much ball control as the pro but is just as hard!!
Peewee

Postby Peewee Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:21 am

I was using a team mate's Revo for a while and it was great. Had a nice solid feel while also having good ball control. I went and bought myself a Revo pro. The Revo did kind of crack along one of the sidewall holes on a particularly vindictive poke check to the stomach against London, but that's not to be mentioned, and it was an old head... The same guy owns the Revo that owned a hickory shaft that I snapped... I find that there's less flex in the Pro and poke checks with it really have some stopping power, and I haven't broken it yet (knock on hickory :) ). It's all to do with preference and your D style, but the Revo is great if you don't want to splash out a bit on the Pro, the only difference is the sidewall strength, but it's not all that noticeable.

I resent the hickory shaft being mentioned as 'thugish' in an earlier post somewhere. I play D with hickory and I may seem like a brute since I have it, but I was playing around with a hickory short shaft and found it so much more comfortable that a metal shaft, so It's not all about hurting anyone, it's the comfort of the weight. If I were playing short shaft, I'd still play hickory, or a heavy metal shaft. Sure I might not deliver the fastest check, but I try to check when and where it counts (this not including the accidental hit to the kneecap of course...)
Kicking back, smiling, not a worry in the world, easy like Sunday morning.
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:33 am

Peewee the thug statement wasnt directed to you , it was a cretin that stated to me that he wanted to hurt people.So I wouldnt sell him the shaft because of his comment.He is now using his normal d pole and hasnt said anything since. :roll:
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:56 am

Like cheekylax said the thug comment wasn't directed at anyone, I play D with a hickory pole and I made the comment. I wouldn't consider myself a thuggish player, i had the conversation with one of the Refs at our club and found it very hard to come up with a counter argument thats all.

South Unis #6 (once)
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:42 am

TOM SOUTHAMPTON SAID

"i had the conversation with one of the Refs at our club"

Talking to a giant humbug about the rights and wrongs!!! :roll:

Had he ever played , and was he ever a defender :wink:
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:52 am

yes he has played, mainly in goal but has had the odd run out in D.

South Unis #6 (once)
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:02 am

Bizaare that he doesnt like wooden .Then again I dont like certain types of equipment , so we all have an opinion I suppose.

If he feels you are missing checks fair enough , but not that he feels that your a thug who believes you can hurt more.

BATH FEST will be a tree breaking extravaganza.Please ensure you book and pay early .Just sold another short wooden pole
Peewee

Postby Peewee Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:47 am

It's good to hear that hickory is supported by the general defensive world. I guess there are the fair few that are just out to cause pain, but they just haven't got it right. You don't say you're out to beat the s**t into the attack, you just say that you're making sure that they don't make the same mistake by trying to get past you again. :)

Cheeky, just took another look at your ebay shop. I'm loving the look of that laminated mahogany and ash short pole. I'll take that off your hands :) It'll be good to have a short pole for the summer when I'm travelling. I might not be able to practice the defence bit but at least I can still keep playing with a wooden shaft and being my thuggish defensive self :)
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:49 am

a particularly vindictive poke check to the stomach against London, but that's not to be mentioned

Peewee.........hope the illegal poke check to the stomach got the penalty it deserved! A poke check was always meant to be to the stick or gloves to force the offensive player to shield the stick rather than have freedom to pass or shoot. It appears you have a different definition. Your other posts include references to injuring players by clumsy play rather than intent. Maybe learning to be a little bit more skilful would raise your level of play.

Just a thought..........
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:48 am

Now I am sure it ricochetted from the gloves. :wink:
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:55 am

Peewee , thanks for that.However did you check out the lax teddy , or the laxbeers!!!
Peewee

Postby Peewee Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:22 pm

dmiddie wrote:
a particularly vindictive poke check to the stomach against London, but that's not to be mentioned

Peewee.........hope the illegal poke check to the stomach got the penalty it deserved! A poke check was always meant to be to the stick or gloves to force the offensive player to shield the stick rather than have freedom to pass or shoot. It appears you have a different definition. Your other posts include references to injuring players by clumsy play rather than intent. Maybe learning to be a little bit more skilful would raise your level of play.

Just a thought..........

Illegal?! The poke check came off his stick (which he was holding in front of him trying to run straight through me towards the goal) and he lost the ball. He had the choice of the stick thrust at him or me holding my ground and trying to stop him with my body, sorry that I didn't have the time to ask him which he would prefer. And as for the references to clumsy play... you're probably refering to the knee vs. D pole incident, I admit, it was clumsy, but it's not as if mistakes can't be made. The first time I ever picked up a lacrosse stick was last year, give me a break!

Cheeky, the Lax Beer is awesome, unfortuantely past it's sell-by date :) It would be great to have a crate of the stuff for away matches!

Return to “Defence Tips”