brighton results, Feb 13th

Play for a mixed team? Post In here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Tree13

brighton results, Feb 13th

Postby Tree13 Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:04 am

Brighton firsts beat Northampton 9 - 6 in a game marred by a nasty injury suffered by club president Louise Argles as a result of foul play.... hot on the heels of another of our girls sustaining a a season-ending injury against Oxford in late January can I please ask ALL mixed refs to clamp down on the amount of contact that is going unpunished at the moment. I am sick and tired of watching the female players in my club getting bodychecked and taken out, particularly by male players who should be downright ashamed of themselves. I watched one of our girls get wheeled into an operating theatre this morning to have surgery to repair a torn knee ligament, dislocated kneecap and cartilage damage from being bodychecked by a male defender, and I am sorry to say that no-one from the club concerned has been in touch with us to enquire as to her wellbeing, despite her being carried off the pitch crying in pain. Luckily Louise's injury is not quite so bad, but I am reliably informed by the boys who played for the firsts yesterday that she was taken out in a manner belonging in the men's game.

Brighton seconds beat hertfordshire 11 - 4 in a game that was a little closer than the scoreline suggests ( the third quarter saw both sides score three, making it 7 - 4 going into the final period ), but Joe Slade's team of freshers can be proud of a gutsy performance that saw them emerge as the victors against a spirited Hertfordshire outfit. The hosts fell behind early on ( 4 - 1 to Brighton at the half ) but made some cunning tactical adjustments to come storming back into the game and guarantee a nailbiting fourth quarter.

Despite living mere minutes away from the venue and having gone home two days earlier with a sackload of laundry for mummy, Brighton's Sophie "Baywatch" Banks arrived mere moments before the draw. Under the watchful eye of her proud parents, Banks put on a display that Fernando Torres could learn from and plundered four goals to maintain her position as the twos' top scorer. Birthday boy Tom Beechinor matched Banks' contribution and also showed signs of improvement in terms of positional awareness, working in tandem with Julez Heiksson and Ulli Bierman to deploy a strong midfield which Herts struggled to break through. At the back, Jack Smith had his best game yet between the pipes, commanding his defence with increased confidence and hitting his clears with accuracy. Emily Cole and Lauren "Sultana" Raison continued their promising partnership in defence, making several vital interceptions and winning some hotly-contested groundballs. What was most gratifying to see however was that Cole and Raison, along with Dani Stevens, Valerie Hedges and Amie Jupp, all showed marked improvement in the key aspects of the game: passing, catching and making cuts. All five are complete beginners and all five made the difference in this game - with both sides fairly evenly-matched in term of male players, Brighton's girls won the day by overpowering their Hertfordshire counterparts both in technique and in athleticism - Amie Jupp in particular made some difficult catches and showed great vision in her distribution, and no-one covered more ground in this game than Lexy Timms, the final member of Brighton's magnificent seven who, in the words of the old guy in "The Longest Yard", makes fast people look not fast.

To round off the day, the twos made a stop in Brentwood to visit the Sugar Hut, made infamous by tv show "The Only Way is Essex" - thankfully the social hub of chav city was closed and we went to Nando's instead... Many thanks to Hertfordshire for hosting us on a beautiful rubber crumb pitch and offering wonderful hospitality in the bar afterwards, and also for being tough but fair opposition. We wish you the best of luck in your remaining games.
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
Wes_72

Re: brighton results, Feb 13th

Postby Wes_72 Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 pm

Hello Brighton...

This is only a reply to the start of the post. I am the mixed captain from Northampton. To whom is the person voicing this post?? I'm sorry that one of your players got hurt but the 'manner' of which she was taken out was not a challenge. I did check her over myself and could not find any injury along with advising her of the best course of action. It was two players too close together and it ended up in both of them on the floor with both players injured. I do hope she is okay?! I have made it no secret that I think highly of Ryan, Slade and both Brighton teams. The captains have done very well with their teams this year and should be proud. I am disappointed that you feel so strongly about this issue but did not come to me first. For the record we were running two refs to make sure everything was kept as fair as possible. This is not the right medium for which to have this conversation so if you wish to take this future then speak to Ryan and get my contact details from him.

Hope this has not changed the relationship that Brighton and Northampton which we have built over the years. Hopefully we will see you next year (knowing the situation we are both in when it comes to funding)

Regards Wes (Mixed Co-Cap. Northampton)
Blackwell32

Postby Blackwell32 Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 am

Wes,

It is my understanding that Tree13 has privately responded to your post and I would like to voice my agreement, with Tree13s permission, with a number of things he has highlighted in the aforementioned PM.

I would firstly like to state I am a qualified lacrosse official in each discipline of the sport and have experience in all levels of mens and mixed.

I completely agree with Tree13 where he has stated that Laxforums is the correct medium in which to discuss the topic of officiating and ask the lacrosse communities opinions on the matter. Laxforums gives every lacrosse player a voice in which they can express their views. The mixed lacrosse league in which you play is a non contact discipline where there is no tackling or body contact of any sort. I umpired the Brighton-Oxford fixture in which a Brighton player suffered a terrible injury in the final minutes due to, in my opinion, a frustrated Oxford player over committing to a loose pass in the centre of the field. As a player, I know how easy it is to become overly competitive on the field, however, Tree13 is simply raising the issue of officials managing the game with more authority as a preventative strategy.

"My gripe is about the bigger picture: several teams in the mixed league play violently and their home refs allow it, leaving players vulnerable to injury. Perhaps if you had to go to hospital with one of your team mates as she faces knee surgery following such violent play, your opinion would differ. "

In my experience in officiating at Brighton this season, I have found it relatively difficult to communicate with either Mixed captains and have on numerous occasions only been asked to officiate on the morning of a game. Perhaps Tree13 experiences similar difficulties in this regard. Nonetheless your relationship with the Brighton captains, or the captains of any team for that matter, is not relevant to a discussion about the level of contact that should or should not be present in Mixed Lacrosse. Furthermore I see no reason why the relationship between any two teams would ever be soured by a player voicing a legitimate concern.

If you would like to discuss the matter with me further, you will find my contact details in your Inbox. In the meantime I would like to wish you and all the other teams in the Eastern Mixed Lacrosse Division the very best of luck throughout the remainder of the season and I am glad to see a discussion regarding Mixed officiating taking place on this forum.

Nick
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:05 am

Wes

PM and contact details sent.
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
matt90911

Postby matt90911 Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:57 pm

The issue of officials is a very controversial and difficult one that I don't believe is ever going to be consistent or even change despite a laxforums debate.
It is safe to say that most games are officiated by players not referees due to a few reasons:
1. Lack of mixed referees
3. Lack of availability of referees on a Sunday
2. Lack of funding to pay for these referees

Because of these reasons teams are forced to use club members/players to officiate games, my team included, which is the only alternative to the games being cancelled (and we all know we don't want that). I would say that most of the time the players do a good enough job that the game goes without many problems but on a few occasions mistakes are made and the game suffers for it. It understandable that teams are reluctant to use their most experience players who would be the best referees because they are the best players and would then hinder the teams chances, and as a captain myself I would try to avoid that at all costs. So most of the time less experienced, possibly inappropriate people are chosen to referee which leads to all these problems people seem to be having. In addition to this, it means we tend to get inconsistent rules and strictness but when most of the referees barely know the rules anyway then what can you do.

A classic example of this was a game yesterday, Hertfordshire v Reading. Despite having two referees of which both play lacrosse themselves and two teams full of experienced mixed, womens and mens players played the whole game with: NO offbody advantage, substitutions during stopped play due to a foul, the longest five seconds ever, no shooting over, offsides and no look shooting. The game was fantastically fun and both teams have a great time so its no dig at the referees but it highlights the difficulties faced.

My final point on refereeing is that most people don't want to do it because of the level of abuse the ascertain from doing so. I myself don't care because I'm thick skinned but many of my players refuse point blank because of previous experiences of out right rudeness and abuse being thrown at them because of a game! And most of the time it comes from teams and players who play mens and womens where they know they can't and don't back chat the referee what so ever, so why they choose to do it in mixed is beyond me!

I am very sorry to hear about the injury received by your player and I hope she recovers soon. Ironically this weekend a Brighton male player took out one of my girls as if a mens game and she now has a broken finger. There is no hard feelings about it as it was an accidental moment of over enthusiasm, it was just one of those things, but my point is unfortunately things like this are going to happen once in a while and there is not much any mixed referee would or is able to do.
Reading University 2010-2012
Reading Wildcat 2009-2012
Bristol Bomber 2012-Present #22
Young Lax Chap

Postby Young Lax Chap Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:35 pm

matt90911 wrote:I am very sorry to hear about the injury received by your player and I hope she recovers soon. Ironically this weekend a Brighton male player took out one of my girls as if a mens game and she now has a broken finger. There is no hard feelings about it as it was an accidental moment of over enthusiasm, it was just one of those things, but my point is unfortunately things like this are going to happen once in a while and there is not much any mixed referee would or is able to do.

On behalf of Brighton Lacrosse can I send our apologies for the injury sustained to one of your girl players on Sunday. I hope the injury heals quickly and she is back playing soon.

With regard to the discussion with Northampton I think that Wes was merley stating that he was disappointed that it has been suggested publically, rather than talking to him first, that members of his team are not playing to the rules injuring female opposition players. I don't think Wes minds the fact that mixed officiating is being discussed on forums.

Matt
Wes_72

Postby Wes_72 Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

Hello again people,

Sorry I haven't been able to respond but placement is keeping me busy.

Matt got it bang on. This is the right place to raise issues be it with general play, ref's or otherwise. I completely agree but my issue was with the fact the Northampton name was brought into it. Suggesting that we as a team play unfair or violently. I would rather if anyone had any issue with my team they would come to me direct rather than putting it on the internet. This has been cleared up now and I hope it is understood?

Regardless, how is Louise?!

Wes

Return to “Mixed”