ProLaxShop

England v USA

Any posts on the Under 19's World Games in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:11 pm

On now - and live stream actually seems to be working fairly well

Latest: 4-0 to US after 16mins
User avatar
davewilliams
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36 pm
gender: Male
Location: Chelmsford

Re: England v USA

Postby davewilliams Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:16 pm

4-0 to us. Excellent.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:55 pm

:D

But seriously: 1-13 at HT
User avatar
UKLacrosse
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:44 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby UKLacrosse Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Personally, and with all respect to England U19's, I would prefer to see Team USA going for goal rather than just passing the ball for 3-4 minutes at a time. What do others think?
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
User avatar
UKLacrosse
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:44 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby UKLacrosse Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Since the England - USA game is poor viewing, let's have another trivia question .... 6 weeks after Bannister broke the 4-minute barrier for the mile with 3:59.4, it was broken again with 3:58.0 .... by who, and where?
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com
Badger23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby Badger23 Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:34 pm

Apparently in 1999 England u'19s only lost to the USA by 2 goals , are we getting worse or are others getting better ??
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:57 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:Since the England - USA game is poor viewing, let's have another trivia question .... 6 weeks after Bannister broke the 4-minute barrier for the mile with 3:59.4, it was broken again with 3:58.0 .... by who, and where?


John Landy? Can't remember where
User avatar
young_trig
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:44 am
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby young_trig Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Appreciate you're bored, but what's the score?
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Badger23 wrote:Apparently in 1999 England u'19s only lost to the USA by 2 goals , are we getting worse or are others getting better ??


Correct - 13-11 in the semi-final - though they had already beaten us 22-3 in the round robin.

I don't think this England squad is anywhere near as good as the '99 team, which was arguably the best squad England have ever fielded at either U-19 or senior level. The semi-final in '99 was an amazing game, played in nasty wet and windy conditions in Adelaide. England were 1-4 down at quarter-time before unbelievably winning the 2nd quarter 4-0, and leading 6-4 early in the 3rd before the US went on a 7-goal run, leading 11-7 at three-quarter time. USA went 12-7 up before England scored 4 in a row to trail 11-12 with 6 minutes left. The US got another with 3 minutes to go and then played keep ball to hold on for the win. So close!
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:10 pm

young_trig wrote:Appreciate you're bored, but what's the score?


Final: 20-1

QT: 4-0
HT: 13-1
TT: 19-1

Lewis Curtis scored England's goal

Mike Connor made 18 saves in the 1st Half to keep it just about respectable

The US scored their 20th goal early in the 4th Q then went into stall mode and barely went to goal at all
Last edited by orange05 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badger23
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 9:38 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby Badger23 Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Who was in the 99 team ?
User avatar
UKLacrosse
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:44 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby UKLacrosse Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 pm

orange05 wrote:
UKLacrosse wrote:Since the England - USA game is poor viewing, let's have another trivia question .... 6 weeks after Bannister broke the 4-minute barrier for the mile with 3:59.4, it was broken again with 3:58.0 .... by who, and where?


John Landy? Can't remember where


Turku ... where else?
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Badger23 wrote:Who was in the 99 team ?


Goal - Wil Stelfox, Nick Anderton
Def - Andrew Linton, Tom Hall, Chris Hart, Simon Jordan, Nathan Singleton, Nick Gilmore
Mid - Dave Bryant, Carl Guest, Mark Reynolds, Anthony Murphy, Jonathan Aspinall, Jon Mountney, Dave Hindson, Andy Duncan, Dave Middleton-Egan, Danny Duncombe
Att - Chris Mountney, Tommy Foster, James Perrin, Richard Wilson, Chris Fitzgerald

UKLacrosse wrote:Turku ... where else?


Doh!
User avatar
UKLacrosse
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:44 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby UKLacrosse Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:26 pm

orange05 wrote:
Badger23 wrote:Apparently in 1999 England u'19s only lost to the USA by 2 goals , are we getting worse or are others getting better ??


Correct - 13-11 in the semi-final - though they had already beaten us 22-3 in the round robin.

I don't think this England squad is anywhere near as good as the '99 team, which was arguably the best squad England have ever fielded at either U-19 or senior level. The semi-final in '99 was an amazing game, played in nasty wet and windy conditions in Adelaide. England were 1-4 down at quarter-time before unbelievably winning the 2nd quarter 4-0, and leading 6-4 early in the 3rd before the US went on a 7-goal run, leading 11-7 at three-quarter time. USA went 12-7 up before England scored 4 in a row to trail 11-12 with 6 minutes left. The US got another with 3 minutes to go and then played keep ball to hold on for the win. So close!


A true reflection of that squad is that many of them are still some of the best players in the UK!
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com
User avatar
mikehmlax6
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:51 am
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby mikehmlax6 Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm

nice to see the support back home, only ever slag us off when we lose how about giving us a bit of slack!
Legally beating men with sticks since 1492
Pain is Temporary - Glory is forever
If they don't play Lacrosse in heaven, I'm not goin
you miss 100% of the shots you never take
User avatar
Moaning Git
Posts: 2220
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:46 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby Moaning Git Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Mike, I can't see anyone slagging off the England team at all. If comments are made. for example, mine about the number of penalties in the Oz game, they are legitimate statements. Comparing a previous team achievements with a current team is not slagging off, it is nostalgia.

The England squad are playing hard, and keeping up the fight even when victory has slipped well out of sight. That indicates character but does not in anyway detract from the reality that shows the skills gap between the top three teams and England and Australia is massive, while the gap between those two teams and the rest is also large, the question is whether that second gap is closing at all.

I am proud of the spirit shown by the England team, I am sorry that we have nothing like the resources, infrastructure, and sheer volume of players that the USA squad can call on. That is not slagging anyone off.
User avatar
Wacs22
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:54 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby Wacs22 Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:46 pm

nice one for the support fellas... its nice to know everyone sat at home are rooting for us! really helps all of us out here, who are trying our best to do you all proud!
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Well put MG - references to '99 were meant in vein of "Keep you heads up, anything can happen"!

We're all behind England 100% but recognize how tough it is at this level

And GREAT win over the Aussies lads - one for the grandkids to hear about...!!
topsox
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Re: England v USA

Postby topsox Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Where did the 99 team finish was it higher than 4 th?
User avatar
orange05
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: England v USA

Postby orange05 Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Nope, lost 11-16 to very good Iroquois team in 3rd place play-off

Return to “2012 U19 Worlds”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register