ProLaxShop

Paul Rabil - ESPN Sports Science

Are you a Coach? Want to be a Coach? Ever thought what motivates them and what they talk about? All in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

Princess

Paul Rabil - ESPN Sports Science

Postby Princess Tue May 22, 2012 7:04 pm

http://television.insidelacrosse.com/me ... rosse-shot

I realise that eveything he touches is indeed flow gold but he is shooting sidearm. Have I unjustly been shouting (in an encouraging and constructive manner) at wayward juniors and general lax rat morons (less constructive, less encouraging) about taking the higher percentage over arm shot? is Mark Million and his offensive wizardry an echo of a gentler and more chivalrous era where real offensive men were short, flat top wearing accountant types? now eclipsed by "flow" and unfeasibly large shorts.

Am I just a victim of the system that im helping to continue? is the cabbage correct? am I wrong? should we blast every shot and pass side arm?

Im a defender so this is somewhat greek to me but interested in opinion (informed opinion) to help with my tiny knowledge of coaching offensive players.
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
Rotisserie

Re: Paul Rabil - ESPN Sports Science

Postby Rotisserie Tue May 22, 2012 7:33 pm

He's shooting sidearm to create the most power possible in his shot for the purposes of the sport science demonstration.

If you watch him play he actually shoots overarm, sidearm, underarm, behind the back... you name it. Varying technique and release point keeps a good goalkeeper guessing but not all of us have the luxury of being able to do all of them flawlessly.

The fact is that sidearm shots are generally much easier to read as a goalkeeper. If sidearm helps you generate a shot so fast that the keeper has no time to react to it before it goes in then by all means continue scoring that way. Until then, you'll have to beat the keeper another way.

As an example, I might take a long range side arm shot against a fresher goalkeeper during a wednesday BUCS match but wouldn't even think of doing it against a premiership goalkeeper on saturday unless I was considerably closer to the goal.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Continue teaching kids to shoot fundamentally sound overarm shots and they'll continue to keep scoring.
Princess

Postby Princess Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Cheers
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
Princess

Postby Princess Thu May 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks, I understand your point about elite play in the UK but surely it's something to aspire to. Im still unsatisfied - which is more efficient as a shooting motion or is there really no difference? I know Rabil loves the sidearm but other notable shooters such as Kimmel and Sawyer seem to generate ample power from shooting over the shoulder.

I realise they are all different tools for different jobs but im just interested in a generalisation
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:Quote from Bill Tierney to his Denver players
"shoot for the Goalies shoulder or knee, as we are not good enough to hit corners"

I wonder how many times you've got to hit the goalie's shoulder or knee before he'll switch to 'shoot for the corners'. :)
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon May 28, 2012 1:01 pm

He told us to do that too when he did a coaching session for the England Squad in La Manga (2008). He was still at Princeton then.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
jibbers

Postby jibbers Mon May 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Players (of all ages) should shoot, pass etc however they feel. There is no right way. If it works, it works.

A lot (not all) of coaches of lacrosse in this country try and drill the idea into peoples heads that there is a right way and a wrong way. There isn't. Players need to be allowed to express themselves and try what they feel comfortable doing. I'm all for people doing "daft" shots. I'd much rather see varied lacrosse than boring over hand shots all day long. It's the only way lacrosse in this country will improve.

Don't try and stifle talent, embrace it.

I agree with UKLAXFAN, there is no elite players, coaches etc. So how else do people learn??? Watch the best and try what they do. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't go in...next time it might
Mersey
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Saw a field demo at the Coaches Convention some years back by Ben Shear, with Matt Danowski and Joe Walters.
At that time they were just starting out and were promoting a DVD, so he didn't reveal too much, as you might expect. Ben Shear is an expert in biomechanics, and came into lacrosse having worked in other sports e.g. golf. Last year I watched his latest demo, using Joe Walters, and he went further showing what makes Joe an outstanding shooter. He demonstrated a number of exercises to show weak core stability, and simple exercises to improve core stability, as well as other weaknesses, all geared to improving shooting ability. One interesting observation he made was that many coaches appear to discourage 'jump shooting', but to him that didn't make sense, for the simple reason that it is the best way to transfer the power from the legs to the upper body, and into the shot.
http://www.athleticedge.net/sports_training_videos.html

www.uklacrosse.com
the pom

Postby the pom Mon May 28, 2012 4:09 pm

i always find closing my eyes and dropping the ball over arm in the goal works.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon May 28, 2012 4:43 pm

the pom wrote:i always find closing my eyes and dropping the ball over arm in the goal works.

You're already a legend Pom .... you can't go any further.

www.uklacrosse.com
Princess

Postby Princess Mon May 28, 2012 7:03 pm

jibbers wrote:Players (of all ages) should shoot, pass etc however they feel. There is no right way. If it works, it works.

A lot (not all) of coaches of lacrosse in this country try and drill the idea into peoples heads that there is a right way and a wrong way. There isn't. Players need to be allowed to express themselves and try what they feel comfortable doing. I'm all for people doing "daft" shots. I'd much rather see varied lacrosse than boring over hand shots all day long. It's the only way lacrosse in this country will improve.

Don't try and stifle talent, embrace it.

I agree with UKLAXFAN, there is no elite players, coaches etc. So how else do people learn??? Watch the best and try what they do. Whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't go in...next time it might

I could not disagree with you more but its your opinion and you are entitled to it. At least there is discussion about coaching technique which is a step in the right direction.

Il take boring over flashy every single time thanks
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO

Return to “Coach Talk”