ProLaxShop

South Uni Trials 2nd March 08 Loughborough

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

South Uni Trials 2nd March 08 Loughborough

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:08 pm

It's that time of the year again. The South Universities team will be holding trials soon for the British National Championships in May.

These trials are to be held at Loughborough University on Sunday 2nd March and will run from 12-2. I am in the process of organising a coach for the Nationals and he will be overseeing the trials (more info on that as it happens).

To qualify you must be attending a University in the South as a current student. These are Open Trials and all are welcome. I do ask that all players wishing to trial get in touch with me either by PM or my email which can be found on www.southlacrosse.org.uk in the officers section under Universities Liaison Officer. I will need to know your position, University (Club if applicable) and level of experience in the game.

This is a serious undertaking. The squad last year did themselves proud and we will be looking to improve on last years results so please only come if you are serious about playing at the highest level.

There will be a cost of £5 per player to cover costs of pitch rental, balls etc.

Kind Regards,

Paul Milner
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 am

nice tio see the south trials are being held in a nice central south area lol
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:36 am

Last year they were held at Reading with follow up at Gloucester. A large contigent travelled from the Midlands despite this. This year it is in the Midlands and next year hopefully in the East.
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 am

And despite it's location it's actually dead easy to get to....i never got lost going there when i was at uni
Ketts19

Postby Ketts19 Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:48 am

Sour37 wrote:And despite it's location it's actually dead easy to get to....i never got lost going there when i was at uni

Liar... :lol:
Jedi Lax #19

Some people are beyond help....myself included
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 am

Ketts19 wrote:
Sour37 wrote:And despite it's location it's actually dead easy to get to....i never got lost going there when i was at uni

Liar... :lol:

Ok when i was going to play lacrosse
Wezalmighty

Postby Wezalmighty Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:57 am

Surely 2 hours won't be enough time to evaluate every player, unless you're expecting a low turn out.
Wez Morris
#40 Portsmouth Uni
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 am

Wezalmighty wrote:Surely 2 hours won't be enough time to evaluate every player, unless you're expecting a low turn out.

Aiming for it to be quite an intensive session. It may be a case that the original amount who trial will be whittled down into a smaller second trial or the same people invited to a second trial at a differnt location if I feel there has not been enough time but that remains to be seen.

Last year there was quite a clear cut between some of the standouts and those that weren't quite up to standard with a small group hovering between. I'm hoping that the gap has narrowed and that it will be much harder to pick a squad this year and as I said before will deal with these situations as necessary. What I want to see is a strong committed squad picked on merit.
chippie

Postby chippie Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:40 am

good work paul!

good luck to trialist!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
james_512

Postby james_512 Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 am

nice work mate.. What type of pitch do you play on at loughborough?? I could imagine you guys playing on rubber crumb or something like that, but I may be wrong.
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:30 pm

james_512 wrote:nice work mate.. What type of pitch do you play on at loughborough?? I could imagine you guys playing on rubber crumb or something like that, but I may be wrong.

Good point. Yes the trials will be on rubbercrumb astroturf which is fully marked out for lax.
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:34 pm

It may be easy, but can you even get there in time? Considering it's a game weekend with most student teams playing firmly in the deep south, Loughborough is looking ot be a very inconvenient (for some...) location to hold this trial.

Taken from National Rail Journey planner for the 2nd of March:

3 hours from London
3 hours from Bristol
6 hours from Southampton
5 hours from Exeter
3 hours from Warwick
2 hours from Birmingham
4 hours from Norwich
5 hours from Swansea
3 hours from Oxford
2.5 hours from Cambridge
2 hours from Cheltenham

And that's just to get to Loughborough station! Most guys won't have a hope in hell of making the 12 start unless they stay overnight which just adds onto the costs of the trip.

Surely it shouldn't matter where the trial is held, west, east or mids, but that it be held at the most accessible location for all. This long travel time is going to put off a lot of players who have a very good chance of making the squad. As far as I can see. This trial is only reasonably accessible to about 5 teams (including Cambridge, which is a stretch). Considering the number of eligible players who are currently involved in playing a higher level of lacrosse and their location (Premiership or 2nd Division) it's a bit harebrained to locate this trial in Loughborough.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
Ketts19

Postby Ketts19 Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 pm

kjk20 wrote:Most guys won't have a hope in hell of making the 12 start unless they stay overnight which just adds onto the costs of the trip.

No they'll just have to get up VERY early Sunday morning and show commitment. If you want it enough you'll do it. Loughborough might not be the most centrally located venue but Paul has taken the time to get this organised so he gets to pick the venue, simple as that. There's hardly a lot of time to straw poll where everyone thinks it shouuld be and then see if it's available and what day and so on....

And if it says 3 hours to get 42 miles from Warwick Uni to Loughborugh then the rail system really is in trouble :!:
Jedi Lax #19

Some people are beyond help....myself included
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm

Ketts19 wrote:
kjk20 wrote:Most guys won't have a hope in hell of making the 12 start unless they stay overnight which just adds onto the costs of the trip.

No they'll just have to get up VERY early Sunday morning and show commitment. If you want it enough you'll do it. Loughborough might not be the most centrally located venue but Paul has taken the time to get this organised so he gets to pick the venue, simple as that. There's hardly a lot of time to straw poll where everyone thinks it shouuld be and then see if it's available and what day and so on....

And if it says 3 hours to get 42 miles from Warwick Uni to Loughborugh then the rail system really is in trouble :!:

Does very early mean getting up for a train that doesn't exist? A number of trains aren't running that weekend, hence the 3 hour trip from Warwick. I ran the search for the first train, and almost none of them will get you to Loughborough by 11.

I'm not trying to start a straw poll, just providing feedback as to what would make the most sense for most of the teams involved. Generally, that's the good way to run an open trial right - pick a location that is the most readily accessable for the greatest number of players (otherwise, you can slap my ass and call me Betty).

Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
JamesA

Postby JamesA Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 pm

you making it ken?
Warwick #21
Hillcroft #8
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:07 pm

As I said earlier last years trials were held at Reading. Despite that being a Sunday and over 3 hours on the train from many locations there was an extremely good turnout. Many players organised car shares from various regions and there are usually a couple of people you can pool your resources with.

I believe last year the Loughborough boys hired a car to get to the trials.

It is never going to be ideal for everyone. I hope that there will be a good turn out and a good trial like last year.
Duncs

Postby Duncs Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to organise it Paul. I'm sure it'll be a fun day and I'm sure a lot of the boys here at Warwick will be up for giving it a shot.
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Mothers' Day! There'll be some unpopular students...
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:59 pm

i can see where ken is coming from, the prob is, although lufbra is perfectly accessable from anywhere in the south in about 3 hours max by car, the trains may cause a prob though as obv not all students have a car. Maybe some of the lufbra boys would be kind enough to offer a place to sleep, as it will be very hard for guys south of the m4 to get there by train in time
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88

Bristol Bombers #88

Turkish.....Maybe

Lacrostitute....Definitely
chippie

Postby chippie Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 pm

kjk20 wrote:
Sour37 wrote: Loughborough is looking ot be a very inconvenient (for some...) location to hold this trial.

Surely it shouldn't matter where the trial is held, west, east or mids, but that it be held at the most accessible location for all. This long travel time is going to put off a lot of players who have a very good chance of making the squad. As far as I can see. This trial is only reasonably accessible to about 5 teams (including Cambridge, which is a stretch). Considering the number of eligible players who are currently involved in playing a higher level of lacrosse and their location (Premiership or 2nd Division) it's a bit harebrained to locate this trial in Loughborough.

theres always someone complaining....and no matter where it is there are people who are gonna suffer getting to the location, but as ketts said, if you want it then you'll make it....take for example the eng womens players who travel every tues night from bham to north london for 2 hours training!! im sure they would like the venue nearer!

paul has said that the location will look to be held at different regions....guess what....in a 3 year uni course, you maybe lucky that one of the trials is in your region.

if you really a struggling....i have a spare room you can have for free and there will prob be people going from brum.... :wink:
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.

Return to “UK Uni”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register