ProLaxShop

UNI TEAM FOR BRITHISH NATIONALS

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
pikey

UNI TEAM FOR BRITHISH NATIONALS

Postby pikey Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Does anyone know anything about the selection for the Brithish uni's team for the nationals this year?
Pikey

Captain
Reading Wildcats
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:58 pm

think they are organising a southern unis and presumably an AN other unis team for the british nationals.
i was originaly told that trials would be in november but i guess new year
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:26 pm

I've read about there being a south unis team. Does anyone know who's running the north one? or who should know who's running the north one. Where does the boundary fall? Notts and Brum north or south or both?
Ash

Postby Ash Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:27 pm

i am guessing but i thing its likely to be if your university plays in Semla then you are Southern uni's. Anywhere else will be the other team (presumably northern uni's!).
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:53 pm

Considering the performance of the Unis team at last years nationals....is it necessarily a good idea to have 2 separate teams?

Yes more people may make it to trials or what have you, but experience is the only guide we have.....and last yrs uni team wasnt good enough to compete at that level of competition (no offence to the guys who were playin, but i was there and it's a fact)

Will diluting the players available make the teams any better? doubt it my £0.02 worth....if its worth that at all!
Two Up!
bigD

Postby bigD Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 pm

The uni's could put out a team to compete but most of the more experienced uni players will try to play for one of the other regional teams. That certainly happened last year.
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Sour37 wrote:and last yrs uni team wasnt good enough to compete at that level of competition (no offence to the guys who were playin, but i was there and it's a fact)

hmmm i'd say yes and no, obv we came last, but should've beaten lancs, and were terrible vs scottish unis

I think this year if the team gets together before the morning of the nationals then they may have a good chance of doing alrite

But i think it should be kept as english national, not south and another as that would dilute the pool too much
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:10 am

Organisation is the one thing that will make it better. Regardless of if you have north and south or just one team it needs to be run properly so what's the deal this year? who's running the team(s)?

I heard Cheshire and Lancs will put there U19s in (I suppose that's in place of Academy) so there's more competition this year.
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:53 am

The unis team is i believe coordinated by the English Universities Lacrosse association which is basically Mike Aspinall.....would think things will be in motion now....or at least shortly (whether "we" know about it or not)
Two Up!
young_trig

Postby young_trig Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:04 pm

I think the problem last year was having one national team with a trial in the midlands. A lot of people couldn't find the time to attend or get to a trial that far away. (basically the northern based players are not quite as committed to travelling as the southern based keenos!

I think spliiting the team into north and south will benefit all. More people will get to participate in the tourney and will also find it easier to attend their regional trials. Everyones a winner.
Last edited by young_trig on Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
snooplax

Postby snooplax Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:25 pm

young_trig wrote:I think the problem last year was having one national team with a trial in the midlands. A lot of people couldn't find the time to attend or get to a trial that far away. (basically the northern based players are quite as committed to travelling as the southern based keenos!

I think spliiting the team into north and south will benefit all. More people will get to participate in the tourney and will also find it easier to attend their regional trials. Everyones a winner.

Well said
Hellcat_lax

Postby Hellcat_lax Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:00 pm

Ok so its been about a month since the last post any news about when and where its gonna happen?
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:07 pm

How about 2 teams
Jewellery,Wooden Shafts,Lacrosse Antiques,Lax Art * Random kit
Hellcat_lax

Postby Hellcat_lax Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:03 am

A northern and southern team could, maybe, improve the standard as trails would be more accessible to more people. Also if the team members are in close proximity to each other it could mean the team could actually play/train together before the morning of the nationals, which i think caused a big problem last year.
Ash

Postby Ash Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:17 am

thats pretty much what is already supposed to be happening. There is meant to be a south uni team happening this year. There is always and english uni's team, but with the formation of south uni's i'm guessing a northern uni's team is the logical other team, but nothing has really been said
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
cjlax

Postby cjlax Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:53 pm

is anything ever actually said?!
londonlax

Postby londonlax Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:05 pm

I have been trying to avoid posting on the forums, but thought I could shed some light on this. Originally it was suggested there be two university teams taking part in the nationals this year. This idea, however, shall not being going ahead due to the tournament not being able to host two university teams. At the british nationals however there will be an english university team. Trials for the team are being formalised by Mike Aspinall and others (including myself) with a view to staging trials in the north-east, north-west, south-east and south-west, with a game or two, of some sort, being the deciding factors.

Despite the emission of a south unis team at the nationals there is still plans to have a team to tour and gain experience. This may also be a foundation for a further tournament to the iroquis and wilkinson sword, whereby a north uni's team could play a south uni's team.

Hope that helps
S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Postby S-t-r-e-t-c-h Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:54 pm

whats is the "iroquis" and "wilkinson sword"?

ta,
-stretch
Shef uni #2
Jedi Lax #2
old-stockport #11
pop lacrosse ALLSTAR!
cjlax

Postby cjlax Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:50 am

What do universities have to do with the Iroquis and wilkinson sword?
Arn't they for north and south league/cup club winners to play each other?

Do you mean just tag on a north uni's V south Uni's game to the events?!
londonlax

Postby londonlax Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:56 am

CJLAX wrote:What do universities have to do with the Iroquis and wilkinson sword?
Arn't they for north and south league/cup club winners to play each other?

Do you mean just tag on a north uni's V south Uni's game to the events?!

basically yeah

Return to “UK Uni”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register