ProLaxShop

BUCS Promotion Playoffs

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Chilli

Re: BUCS Promotion Playoffs

Postby Chilli Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 am

How can we seriously expect the game to grow if such a public and, undisputed by all sides, display of referee abuse is simply allowed to pass by?

How can we expect to encourage new referees unless both SEMLA and NEMLA have a consistent zero tolerance policy and ensure that every referee, beginner or experienced, can feel certain of the Association's support?

What is the lasting legacy of this (and many other unreported) incident? It will be that another group of players will decide that they'll never become a ref when their playing days are over.

Is that what the game needs?

Why isn't the referee's association leading a vigorous 'no dissent' policy to support the recruitment of new refs?
shipman

Postby shipman Thu May 03, 2012 10:45 am

young_trig, have you even taken a breath and read this whole post?

The referee was the one who first posted about the match complaining, if that post was never said I can guarantee nothing else would have been posted about the referee. It's a sport and anger is ALWAYS in sport, ESPECIALLY in such an important game. If ANYONE on this forum can honestly say they have never got mad at a ref, they're not being honest.

This whole thread is getting a bit boring to read to be honest, the Leeds Met players were thanking and speaking to the ref after the game in a normal, polite manner. Even in the union after the game when both teams were happily drinking right next to each other, speaking to one an other, he came over to say goodbye which he was given back a friendly goodbye.

It was an intense and extremely important game, anger happens.

Quote: "I'm assuming that you must have done a referees course to a) know what you are talking about and b) be in a position to judge."
- Maybe you should address these questions to the other referee who many of the home players said had never reffed a game before and is probably not qualified to be an official referee.

Well done Loughborough, to shadow what the other posts have said, which some people are clearly not reading, Leeds Met do not think "the referee lost the game"
young_trig

Postby young_trig Thu May 03, 2012 11:11 am

shipman wrote:young_trig, have you even taken a breath and read this whole post?

The referee was the one who first posted about the match complaining, if that post was never said I can guarantee nothing else would have been posted about the referee. It's a sport and anger is ALWAYS in sport, ESPECIALLY in such an important game. If ANYONE on this forum can honestly say they have never got mad at a ref, they're not being honest.

This whole thread is getting a bit boring to read to be honest, the Leeds Met players were thanking and speaking to the ref after the game in a normal, polite manner. Even in the union after the game when both teams were happily drinking right next to each other, speaking to one an other, he came over to say goodbye which he was given back a friendly goodbye.

It was an intense and extremely important game, anger happens.

Quote: "I'm assuming that you must have done a referees course to a) know what you are talking about and b) be in a position to judge."
- Maybe you should address these questions to the other referee who many of the home players said had never reffed a game before and is probably not qualified to be an official referee.

Well done Loughborough, to shadow what the other posts have said, which some people are clearly not reading, Leeds Met do not think "the referee lost the game"

No, I will direct my question at the person who took the time to come on the forum and criticise the referee for having a "poor game" and suggesting that the referees for the second leg had not been fair. I know that none of you are saying that the referee lost you the game, even though that it does appear that it was said at some point in anger.

I completely agree (and I have been reading) that those of you that have taken the time to post here on the forum have been complimentary to Loughborough and have wished them well for next year. However, you have all then unfortunately follwed it up with a snipe at the performance of the referee. All I'm asking you to do is respect the officials in our game and not come on the forum to critise their performance. As Chilli says, we find it hard enough as it is to recruit people to referee. I asked the question knowing fine well that wschofiled hadn't done the course, so there is no need for you to redirect the question thanks.

I'm as guilty as the next man for getting frustrated at referees calls and maybe sometimes showing that frustration a little too clearly on the pitch. Calls go against us, and sometimes we won't agree with those calls but its all up to the ref.

I appreciate that you say that you all mostly moved on and forgot about it but unfortunately it was followed by public critisism on the forum of the referee. I'm also happy to move on and stop talking about it but please accept that the referees are an important part of our game and should be shown the respect that they deserve.

Who's up next from the laxhouse?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
appleclan

Postby appleclan Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 am

Was Essex Plymouth played yesterday? Hoping Essex brought it back in the 2nd leg
Reading University #20 2009-2012
Cam

Postby Cam Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 am

Only thing i'll say on the matter is i think its quite unfair to be criticising all of leeds met for this whole thing. A couple of players lost their heads due to a few bad decisions and comments were made in anger on the pitch, that happens all the time & if you can turn around and say you have honestly never criticised a ref during or after a game then well done to you, because 95% of us have, but the majority of the team kept their heads & played on even though they were angered about the decisions. Well done to Loughborough and good luck next season lads, you'll do well in that league!
Brooklands/ Leeds Met 1sts
tobiasgoalie

Postby tobiasgoalie Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm

appleclan wrote:Was Essex Plymouth played yesterday? Hoping Essex brought it back in the 2nd leg

Good point :) Would like to know how their promotion game went on :)
Loughborough Lacrosse 2011-present
lbinding

Postby lbinding Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Essex V Plymouth is Sunday.
tobiasgoalie

Postby tobiasgoalie Thu May 03, 2012 9:18 pm

lbinding wrote:Essex V Plymouth is Sunday.

Well i feel stupid :P
Loughborough Lacrosse 2011-present
chippie

Postby chippie Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 am

lboro v leeds...
good game to watch, saw it from 2nd quarter and it seemed pretty even at that point (didnt know what the score was though)...
then lboro had a run of like 4 un-answered goal, mostly quick unsettled situations or good cuts, they also had a lot more chances to score more but final pass didnt connect

leeds met when they had the ball tried to play it round and had some good periods, FO guy had a great game, some nice shots dodging from behind and some great individual goals from face, #11 (i think) also had some good looks dodging from up-top, these things worked for leeds met and should have utilised more.

but lboro's fitness and speed was much better,,,what was great to see was the general game-play by both teams, very few handling errors, missed passes and was generally a good game to watch. Some good lacrosse on display by both sides

As an neutral it was disappointing to see some stuff, late hits, deliberate slashes and the constant moaning at the reff etc, this was a game that meant a lot to both teams but i do feel some players took it too far and credit to their team-mates who were telling them to behave and still encouraging their team when they were down. I personally think the reffs did a good job and called a lot of things most reffs at uni level dont call. If i was to disagree with any call it was the disallowed crease dive, but i was at the other end of the pitch and would have given it because it looked good...and i think they were a bit nice not expelling one of the players who really was not helping the situation.

At the end both teams are good enough to compete in the north prem but one was better over the two games!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
North09

Postby North09 Fri May 04, 2012 1:22 am

Got to agree with Chippie there, both teams played some great lacrosse. Both played some bad lacrosse, but thats how it goes.
Personally as a met player i dont think the game was brilliantly reffed, mainly due to the fact that he was essentially a one man team for 80 minutes. We cant expect him to get everything right and weve all been in countless games like that before which all contained the same amount of intensity and all end up with people passing the blame to the ref.
I'd actually quite like to hear an honest opinion from a Loughborough player from the game to see what they think, they'll probably agree the ref made alot of bad calls in our direction, we just opened ourselves up for it more with the arguing.

Like we have all been trying to say here though we know they are a better team than us and we know we didn't play to our strengths well enough to deserve the premiership spot, now we've just got another boring season ahead.
chippie

Postby chippie Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 am

what would be interesting to see is the penalties...if i recall they were mainly slashes and mouthing off

with the slashes, there was a lot and a lot were un-controlled (not all) and as lboro had more of the ball, you were the ones chasing so there is more % chance your team will commit a foul. The other penalties were silly, i mean on one occasion 2 players went for the ball, 50/50 shoulder barge and the met player came off worse, instead of getting up and trying to get the ball back, just stood there and had a go at the reff...although there were only 2/3 people who were doing this, it cost leeds, especially when lboro were good enough to move the ball quickly to find the open person.

only other call that springs to mind would be the FO guy taking out the lboro player near the end....looked like a great hit, but i have seen them called (mainly with senior reffs) for the intent as there was quite a long run up to make the hit, but those are the calls that are at the reffs discretion and i think a lot were calls that people generally get away with which were just called, but your right North09, the arguing really didnt help...

the one day i didnt have a video camera in the car.... :(

p.s. are met or lboro losing any players this year? will be interesting to see if this will change the teams

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
Kyri

Postby Kyri Fri May 04, 2012 9:34 am

Met are only loosing 2 players from the first team, but the committee members for next season have decided that we are going to use next season as more of a transitional year to establish some new discipline and team rules. Also as an opportunity to bring through some of the second team players as at the end of next season a large chunk of the 1st team will be graduating. There have also been discussions with certain 1st team players to act as coaches for the second team and freshers therefore not playing in as many first team games throughout the season, this hopefully will allow for more competitive games within Northern 1A division.
chippie

Postby chippie Fri May 04, 2012 10:58 am

thats a good plan....whole club development, will mean a better base and hopefully a better top team!

Pete_Brum

Postby Pete_Brum Fri May 04, 2012 2:59 pm

As far as i know of l'boro, they arnt losing many players and are getting back some of their best players that have been on placements this year (Gilly and Roche spring to mind) so they will be stronger than they were this year, i tip them to do very well in the north prem! Seen as they made it to the semi-finals of the champs this year only to be knocked out by durham, doubt we will see them again in midlands 1a for a while!!

Does it mean two teams are promoted from midlands 2a though? That would mean leicester and east anglia?
Phil

Postby Phil Fri May 04, 2012 8:19 pm

Having come across to watch the game from Trent I thought it was a great game with some excellent lacrosse. Enough has been said about the poor discipline but, contrary to popular belief, I thought the referees did I good job (... I did missed the first quarter). Can't be easy reffing a game like that with so much at stake - the teams played 10 v 10, they had to go 2 v 20 & the benches, coaches & supporters. For all that has been said about poor calls (which I don't really agree with) there was a fair amount of ‘off the ball activity’ which went un-noticed, so some players should count themselves extremely lucky.

Congratulations to Loughborough on a thoroughly deserved win, in my humble opinion. Leeds Met: I'm sure you'll be in the play offs again next year. ::EDIT:: Met: That isn’t meant to come across condescending or sarcastic, more an acknowledgement you boys are good enough to play Prem.

On a final note:

Chilli wrote:How many potential referees did that abuse deter from ever wanting to ref a game??

Me, for one. Can I get my £40 for the course I took 6 weeks ago? :roll:

Phil
North09

Postby North09 Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Such a hard task to develop University teams though because yes you can grow a team but for how long? The turnover of players is too quick, i heard something about Sheff Uni having to concede a few games this season and St Andrews bit the bullet and withdrew from the league.
Even though Uni Lax is growing every year its seems not fast enough!
GarethBrown

Postby GarethBrown Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Im pretty glad that lufbra got promoted given the reaction on the previous page. Disgraceful.

Two years ago, Warwick beat lufbra by one goal, and in doing so got promoted instead of them, condemning Lufbra to a league they were too good for for two years (since they didnt quite win their playoff last year). They didnt react the same way then, so whoever it was with the whinge about the refs and being in a 'boring' league next year needs to grow a pair.
North09

Postby North09 Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 am

Yeah it happened them and its happened to us, doesn't make it any less annoying or true
Pete_Brum

Postby Pete_Brum Sat May 05, 2012 4:24 pm

If commitees arnt lazy with development, there should never be a problem with conceeding games, at birmingham our squad is 90% beginners or beginners from the year before. Never conceeded a game and we putting a second team in next season
lbinding

Postby lbinding Sun May 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Essex 3 - 13 Plymouth. Aggregate score of 24 - 10 to Plymouth.

Really fun game to play in and good to drink with the Essex boys after the game.

From our perspective it is amazing to have reached the premiership after just 3 years of being in BUCS and 4 years of being a club. With some of us graduating and this being our last game it was a great way to end 3 big years with the team.
Last edited by lbinding on Sun May 06, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UK Uni”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register