ProLaxShop

BUCS results 9/2/11

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Christian
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:41 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby Christian Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:49 pm

It seems when Portsmouth 1sts don't have a game, they send a fair few of their 1st team down to their 2nds games - which is what we experienced when we lost to them, not sure how this works with BUCS regulations? Seems they didn't take any on this occasion and was their true squad, but Chichester have some strong players on their team.


We have never loaded our second team with first team players. I'm not sure where this myth has come from, Essex played under protest because of this as well.
Our second bucs team has been used for freshers this year. With the occasional SEMLA 2nds player playing to teach them. These are not 1st team bucs players. When we played against reading we had 3 SEMLA seconds players who came in and 8 freshers.

Against Chi I played people who had trained more recently and had little game experience over people who had experience but have been slacking at training.
It wasn't just Kiddo who beat us either, thier whole team are starting to look really strong.
User avatar
sj247
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:52 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby sj247 Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Christian wrote:
It seems when Portsmouth 1sts don't have a game, they send a fair few of their 1st team down to their 2nds games - which is what we experienced when we lost to them, not sure how this works with BUCS regulations? Seems they didn't take any on this occasion and was their true squad, but Chichester have some strong players on their team.


We have never loaded our second team with first team players. I'm not sure where this myth has come from, Essex played under protest because of this as well.
Our second bucs team has been used for freshers this year. With the occasional SEMLA 2nds player playing to teach them. These are not 1st team bucs players. When we played against reading we had 3 SEMLA seconds players who came in and 8 freshers.

Against Chi I played people who had trained more recently and had little game experience over people who had experience but have been slacking at training.
It wasn't just Kiddo who beat us either, thier whole team are starting to look really strong.


Hey, was just wondering about our game this wednesday. Firstly, you play on grass? someone told me once you played on 3g/astro. Secondly can you PM me a mobile contact for your captain/whoever. Cheers
University of Kent #90 (or #30)
Men's Lacrosse President 2010-11
Men's Captain 2011-12
Maidstone LC #90
England Uni 2012/13
Christian
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:41 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby Christian Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Ah, sorry about this, but our AU should have rearranged that game by now.
We have Reading away cup scheduled that day.

We play on grass though.
jack6042
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby jack6042 Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Christian wrote:
It seems when Portsmouth 1sts don't have a game, they send a fair few of their 1st team down to their 2nds games - which is what we experienced when we lost to them, not sure how this works with BUCS regulations? Seems they didn't take any on this occasion and was their true squad, but Chichester have some strong players on their team.


We have never loaded our second team with first team players. I'm not sure where this myth has come from, Essex played under protest because of this as well.
Our second bucs team has been used for freshers this year. With the occasional SEMLA 2nds player playing to teach them. These are not 1st team bucs players. When we played against reading we had 3 SEMLA seconds players who came in and 8 freshers.

Against Chi I played people who had trained more recently and had little game experience over people who had experience but have been slacking at training.
It wasn't just Kiddo who beat us either, thier whole team are starting to look really strong.


I suppose it's this chopping and changing of the Portsmouth BUCS second team that leads other unis to question player eligibility.

After we schooled you guys in the second half we came to the conclusion that evidently none of your first team were playing....
User avatar
appleclan
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 10:59 am
gender: Male
Location: Reading

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby appleclan Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 pm


I suppose it's this chopping and changing of the Portsmouth BUCS second team that leads other unis to question player eligibility.



I think this sums it up.

The generally inconsistency of performances in the league, which I'm sure isn't just due to a bad day on the pitch. Some days it seems you are the whipping boys, and on others you are league contenders. Maybe this can be explained by the large squad it sounds you guys have, and who you select for each game. Non the less is it has sparked interest between us and other teams in the league.
Reading University #20 2009-2012
tjwlee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby tjwlee Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:12 am

I suppose it's this chopping and changing of the Portsmouth BUCS second team that leads other unis to question player eligibility.


when people see Portsmouth 2nd team's scores fluctuate so heavily...it does lead to some questions being asked.
it will be interesting to hear a different answer besides the "we have a big squad".
University Of Essex #18
Colchester Castles #18
tjwlee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby tjwlee Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 am

sj247 wrote:Yeah well done to essex, throughly deserved. Didnt get to award their MOM but it would of been number 24.
I felt first quarter was close, essex leading 3-1. We got a goal back early into second quarter bringing it to 3-2...but after this our fitness let us down, partly due to it being our first game in almost 3months. Essex played some great lacrosse and were good sports.
Looking forward to the battle of second place...


Looking forward to playing you guys in the cup in a few weeks time!!
University Of Essex #18
Colchester Castles #18
User avatar
B37
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:11 pm

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby B37 Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:09 am

tjwlee wrote:
I suppose it's this chopping and changing of the Portsmouth BUCS second team that leads other unis to question player eligibility.


when people see Portsmouth 2nd team's scores fluctuate so heavily...it does lead to some questions being asked.
it will be interesting to hear a different answer besides the "we have a big squad".


You may be getting confused between our first and second team here. The 2s scores haven't fluctuated whereas the first team results are all over the place. Im confident if you saw our actual first team play, you would appreciate that we aren't loading up the 2s.
User avatar
sj247
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:52 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby sj247 Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

christian - unless you AU does this asap I'm going to assume we are playing you. As that's what bucs website is saying. But if we can't play you fair enough.

Essex - we are going to have re-arrange our cup fixture on 9th march....we have varsity that day. Sorry. (I'm only 90% sure of this atm though)
University of Kent #90 (or #30)
Men's Lacrosse President 2010-11
Men's Captain 2011-12
Maidstone LC #90
England Uni 2012/13
Christian
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:41 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby Christian Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 am

when people see Portsmouth 2nd team's scores fluctuate so heavily...it does lead to some questions being asked.
it will be interesting to hear a different answer besides the "we have a big squad".


We have a very big squad....

We put out 80% freshers, rotating the guys we pick.

Chi played well and beat us 11-2, get over it....
tjwlee
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby tjwlee Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:22 am

Christian wrote:
when people see Portsmouth 2nd team's scores fluctuate so heavily...it does lead to some questions being asked.
it will be interesting to hear a different answer besides the "we have a big squad".


We have a very big squad....

We put out 80% freshers, rotating the guys we pick.

Chi played well and beat us 11-2, get over it....


so many teams are schooling you. surprised you only got 2 goals against chichester with their zonal D when you managed to put a few more passed us. nevermind hey?
University Of Essex #18
Colchester Castles #18
jack6042
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby jack6042 Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 pm

tjwlee wrote:
so many teams are schooling you. surprised you only got 2 goals against chichester with their zonal D when you managed to put a few more passed us. nevermind hey?


Tim please don't post completely useless and inflammatory comments when you're drunk at 6 in the morning.

My comment regarding 'schooling' was obviously tongue in cheek. I have seen Pompey 1's play and it's fair to say that they're pretty decent.
User avatar
finners@chich
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:53 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby finners@chich Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Firstly; cheers Christian for some good sportsmanship with regards to the latest result of chi v pompey

Secondly; Kiddo is undoubtedly an excellent player, an asset to the team and we are lucky to have him but only scored 4 of our 11 goals against portsmouth and the week before he had 3 from 11 so the rest of the team are contributing and it is a team effort.

Thirdly; Zone D is a hard thing to master so at the beggining of the season we were a bit scrappy. But now our 6 man zone is working well and unless you have some good outside shooters it is difficult to score through a tight zone because you cannot just dodge or cut your way in especially if it is an effective backer Zone. Portsmouth had several gret oppertunities and played a good midfield game but just couldnt get to an effective shooting range.

We respect we are a brand new team and inexperienced but we just try to play an attractive style of game and the zonal D is now working after much drilling so dont be so quick to judge until you next play us
DanSawyer
Posts: 959
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby DanSawyer Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:18 am

tjwlee wrote:so many teams are schooling you. surprised you only got 2 goals against chichester with their zonal D when you managed to put a few more passed us. nevermind hey?


I'm intrigued by the comments about the zone. Do you think that zones are necessarily easy to score against or just that Chichester's zone isn't very good? 'their zonal D' is a little ambiguous...
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
User avatar
kiddo
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:43 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby kiddo Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:27 am

I play for Portsmouth on saturdays in the SEMLA league therefore would know if they were stacking their 2s with the first team and for the fixtures we (chichester) have played against pompey, they havnt had a single first team player fielded. Obviously I can't say this is the case against other teams however, I know a majority of the guys at the club and really don't think they'd stack the 2s for the sake of winning a game. Maybe people should worry about what their own team is doing and not others.
ANDREEEW
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:42 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby ANDREEEW Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:53 pm

kiddo wrote:I play for Portsmouth on saturdays in the SEMLA league therefore would know if they were stacking their 2s with the first team and for the fixtures we (chichester) have played against pompey, they havnt had a single first team player fielded. Obviously I can't say this is the case against other teams however, I know a majority of the guys at the club and really don't think they'd stack the 2s for the sake of winning a game. Maybe people should worry about what their own team is doing and not others.


:shock: I've never seen Kiddo write so formally before.
University of Chichester Lacrosse
ANDREEEW
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:42 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby ANDREEEW Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Christian wrote:Against Chi I played people who had trained more recently and had little game experience over people who had experience but have been slacking at training.
It wasn't just Kiddo who beat us either, thier whole team are starting to look really strong.


Not sure what you mean,
It was my first game ever, about 10 hrs playing lacrosse in total and there were some other fairly new people also on the team so not all of Chichester was experienced.
James' head is big enough, annoying that many people may put our wins down to having him but it's not true as you say. Everyone works hard which leads to results we are happy with :) So thanks for your comment, appreciated by everyone I am sure

It was Portsmouth 3rd team/development team.
They played well, they have things to learn still.
The result was expected I am sure.
University of Chichester Lacrosse
jack6042
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby jack6042 Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:59 pm

It was Portsmouth 3rd team/development team.
They played well, they have things to learn still.
The result was expected I am sure.


This is what confuses me, with the depth they have I was expecting Portsmouth 2's to be challenging for the league.

Wit the inevitable promotion of the first team to the prem there would be no issue of having both teams in 1A.

Were they putting out a development team because they feel they can no longer get promoted then?
proudy1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 am
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby proudy1 Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 pm

jack6042 wrote:
It was Portsmouth 3rd team/development team.
They played well, they have things to learn still.
The result was expected I am sure.


Wit the inevitable promotion of the first team to the prem there would be no issue of having both teams in 1A.

Were they putting out a development team because they feel they can no longer get promoted then?



as far as i know, unless essex concede several walkovers and therefore loose points (which i very much doubt will happen) they have won the league already. just a fight for second place now i think.
University of Chichester #1
UoC Team Manager 2010-11
UoC Club Secretary 2011-
User avatar
finners@chich
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:53 pm
gender: Male

Re: BUCS results 9/2/11

Postby finners@chich Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:06 am

The fight for second place rages on like a battle of attrition!!! Well maybe not so dramatic

Return to “UK Uni”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics