ProLaxShop

South England Universities Trials/Info

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
VGrimes

South England Universities Trials/Info

Postby VGrimes Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 pm

All,

I would like to announce the prelim schedule for the 2011 South England Universities Lacrosse team (SEUL). The below is a framework of our schedule that we will be implementing leading up to the BNCs in 2011. Much more information to come so stay tuned.

Trials (both trials are open to all eligible players. Trial fees will be 5 pounds per player per trial and will go towards off-setting team costs):
1st
When: 5 Dec 2010
Where: Birmingham University
Time: TBD

2nd
When: 20 Feb 2011
Where: Birmingham Uni
Time: TBD

Training Camps:There will be 2 training camps scheduled for the final roster. Attendance for both are mandatory w/ approved absense reasons discussed between players and coaches.

Exhibition Games:We will have 3-4 scheduled games on weekends in preparation for the BNCs. Attendance for these are mandatory w/ approved absense reasons discussed between players and coaches.
ArchLevel Lacrosse
South England Universities Head Coach
Cambridge University Head Coach
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.
VGrimes

Re: South England Universities Trials/Info

Postby VGrimes Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Please RSVP for the South Uni trials via the below e-mails address. We need an estimate of numbers for the upcoming Dec 5th trial. Thank you.

southenglandu10@aol.com
ArchLevel Lacrosse
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.
kiddo

Postby kiddo Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Why are the trials in Birmingham? Bit of a treck considering its south trials :shock:
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:20 pm

kiddo wrote:Why are the trials in Birmingham? Bit of a treck considering its south trials :shock:

:) Welcome to the great debate! Ultimately I would say it's because the person putting all his time and effort into organising it has decided it is there (plus they have some great facilities).

I would say it's worth the trip though. The coaching team did a fantastic job with the team last year and I am sure they will be looking to improve on the Plate runners up finish.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
plainnash

Postby plainnash Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Pompey 2's are playing in Brum the day before this, make a weekend of it!
Dave Nash
University of Birmingham and Birmingham City - No. 88
Wales U19/U21 2011-12 - No. 2
kiddo

Postby kiddo Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:40 am

plainnash wrote:Pompey 2's are playing in Brum the day before this, make a weekend of it!

if i played pompey 2s lol :(
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:27 am

kiddo wrote:
plainnash wrote:Pompey 2's are playing in Brum the day before this, make a weekend of it!

if i played pompey 2s lol :(

i think he was implying you could just travel up with the team anyway, but considering you've got Bristol Bombers that weekend I doubt very much you'll want to miss THE clash of west1.
VGrimes

Postby VGrimes Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Dates Brakdown:

- Training Camp: Mar 4-6
- Exhibition Game v TBD: Mar 20
- Exhibition Game v TBD: Apr 3
- Essex Tournament Entry: Apr 23- 24
- Final Training Camp: Apr 29 - May 1

The final training camp date is dependent on which weekend the BNCs will actually take place. More details as far as exhibition games coming soon.
ArchLevel Lacrosse
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:03 pm

Any news about whether the trials will be on this weekend? Weather's been a bit rubbish!

Also, are we to attend one trial of the two or can we come to both?
VGrimes

Postby VGrimes Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 pm

All,

the South Uni trial scheduled for this coming Sunday, 5 Dec, has been cancelled due to weather forecasts. Birmingham is a bit of a trek for some and we don't want to run the risk of a "late notice" weather issue or pitch closure. As of now, the Feb trial with be used as a first cut with the first training camp being used as the second. Any changes will be posted here for updates. We apologise for the inconvience and can't wait to see everyone after the new year! It's getting close! Cheers.
ArchLevel Lacrosse
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.
VGrimes

Postby VGrimes Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:38 pm

All,

A reminder of the upcoming trials for the South Universities team.

When: Sunday, 20 February 2011

Where: Birmingham University/Metchley 3G pitch (lower pitch)
Westmere House Edgebaston
Park Rd, Moseley, Birmingham, West Midlands B13

Time: 12pm-2pm
Cost: 5 pounds/player

Please arrive no later than 1130 for registration and numbering. We will be starting promptly at 12pm and need everyone ready to go "on the dot". Please direct any questions to info@archlevellacrosse.com. Can't wait to get rolling! See you all soon!

Schedule:
- Training Camp: Mar 4-6 (RAF Lakenheath)
- Exhibition Game v TBD: Mar 20
- Exhibition Game v TBD: Apr 3
- Essex Tournament Entry: Apr 23- 24
- BNCs: Apr 29 - May 1

We are gearing up improve on last year's finish (highest finish in SEUL history). There are MANY exciting things in store for this year's team and we welcome any and all eligible players to come out for the trials.
ArchLevel Lacrosse
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:25 am

So what's the final squad for this? Would be interesting to see the distribution of players from unis in different areas and how this has changed over the years. Is there still a strong Midlands influence like last year?
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
samaleyo

Postby samaleyo Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:So what's the final squad for this? Would be interesting to see the distribution of players from unis in different areas and how this has changed over the years. Is there still a strong Midlands influence like last year?

Not sure I have the authority to post the final roster, but the final squad is shaping up well for this weekend. There are a whole bunch of guys from Loughborough (as always) but also Bristol are well represented. There are another 3/4 unis (cambridge, birmingham, essex, warwick) with a few guys in the squad, but I would say that overall there was a disappointing lack of interest from a few good teams. E.g. no one able to make trials from oxford, exeter, brighton, portsmouth. Just off the top of my head.
South East Club Development Officer
Ex-Brooklands Hulmeians
Ex-Cambridge University #1
Ex-South Unis #1
Wezalmighty

Postby Wezalmighty Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:41 am

samaleyo wrote: but I would say that overall there was a disappointing lack of interest from a few good teams. E.g. no one able to make trials from oxford, exeter, brighton, portsmouth.

Can't speak for the other teams we had a lot of interest. But students being students, most of them had to make the call between eating for the week and travelling to trials/training.
Wez Morris
#40 Portsmouth Uni
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am

Wezalmighty wrote:
samaleyo wrote: but I would say that overall there was a disappointing lack of interest from a few good teams. E.g. no one able to make trials from oxford, exeter, brighton, portsmouth.

Can't speak for the other teams we had a lot of interest. But students being students, most of them had to make the call between eating for the week and travelling to trials/training.

Yeah to be fair there were guys from portsmouth who both made the trials and made the cut. I believe they also struggled to get to the training camp because of their SEMLA clash with Bath.
Tommy88

Postby Tommy88 Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:26 pm

We had a few from Exeter who were interested, in fact we had made plans to travel up to the first one that got canceled, but by the time the re-scheduled date rolled around I was injured and nobody else had the money to make the trip.
Boardman & Eccles - Junior
Exeter No.70 2007-2011
Boardman & Eccles 2011-
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Wezalmighty wrote:

Travelling for 3 and a half hours each way, having to arrive in time for an 11.30am start, on a sunday (meaning public transport is at it's worst) would doubtless have been off-putting for some. Those that might have been prepared to give it a go may have found the cost of travelling to have been prohibitive, and it's not like staying overnight on the saturday would have been cheaper. Geographically Oxford would appear to make more sense, but there are loads of other factors involved in choosing a venue, none of which I am privy to.

I don't envy those who volunteer to organise these things, the logistics involved must be a nightmare. Good luck to all who made the cut!
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Tree13 wrote:
Wezalmighty wrote:

Travelling for 3 and a half hours each way, having to arrive in time for an 11.30am start, on a sunday (meaning public transport is at it's worst) would doubtless have been off-putting for some. Those that might have been prepared to give it a go may have found the cost of travelling to have been prohibitive, and it's not like staying overnight on the saturday would have been cheaper. Geographically Oxford would appear to make more sense, but there are loads of other factors involved in choosing a venue, none of which I am privy to.

I don't envy those who volunteer to organise these things, the logistics involved must be a nightmare. Good luck to all who made the cut!

There was a trial held at Blues too this year in order to make the travelling easier!
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:41 pm

Rotisserie wrote:
Tree13 wrote:
Wezalmighty wrote:

There was a trial held at Blues too this year in order to make the travelling easier!

Indeed there was. Somehow I managed to overlook that :oops:
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
JJXHLAX

Postby JJXHLAX Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Will be there regardless of travel - would have replied by email but it appears to be failing!
:shock:
#71 - Welwyn
#17 - 2 In A Canoe
#17 - Hertfordshire Uni Captain

Return to “UK Uni”