ProLaxShop

Durham Men's Lacrosse

Play for a Uni Team or at College? Post In Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
USAlacrosse

Durham Men's Lacrosse

Postby USAlacrosse Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Durham apparently has 6 Americans trying out for their team. Some of whom played four years of college lacrosse in the American NCAA system. This could bode well for Durham, does anyone have any details in regards to this?
webby

Postby webby Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:21 pm

The rumour I have heard is that Durham have offered 6-7 former Goucher students/players scholarships to study masters in business and marketing, including free accommodation etc, in order to boost their lacrosse programme. It's being headed up by Omar Dupree, former Sheffield LDO and Goucher player, and some guy from Yale.

They are doing the same for different sports, including women's lacrosse, tennis, etc.

http://www.teamdurham.com/universityspo ... osse.mens/

Should make the Northern division an interesting competition this year!
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
USAlacrosse

Yanks

Postby USAlacrosse Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 pm

I am simply trying to figure out who all these 'yank imports' are because I am one of them. I am not from goucher however, but will be playing at Durham this upcoming year.
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm glad an academically prestigious university such as Durham can spell Baltimore...

About Omar:

• Goucher College, Baltimoore graduate
• Four years NCAA Division 3 experience
• Level 2 coach

Omar is supported by Graduate Assistant Kevin Disceplo who is studying but also working for Team Durham to develop the junior lacrosse programme and to support Omar's work with the University squad.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
Harry Collins

Postby Harry Collins Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:41 pm

He'll probably pipe up himself, but if you pm ibop on here, he'll probably know more about it/be able to put you in touch with people that do. He's left Durham now, but is still in the loop I think.
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
webby

Re:

Postby webby Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Harry Collins wrote:He'll probably pipe up himself, but if you pm ibop on here, he'll probably know more about it/be able to put you in touch with people that do. He's left Durham now, but is still in the loop I think.

As far as I'm aware, Ian doen't know much about the situation. Or at least he didn't the last time I spoke to him about it. Might still be worth shooting him a private message though.

I can provide you with the mobile number of the Durham captain via pm if you want.

Also get in contact with the Newcastle Knights club team at nutlax@hotmail.com, as we compete in the North of England Men's Lacrosse Association on saturdays and currently have a handful of Durham players on our roster. In the UK you can play for a university team in BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sports) on wednesdays, and a club team on saturdays (either NEMLA in the North, SEMLA in the south, or if you're a massive laxtitute, both). Newcastle is about 20-25 minutes drive from Durham.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
USAlacrosse

Newcastle

Postby USAlacrosse Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:00 pm

I might be interested in that, as long as I can get a Newcastle Brown Ale after the game of course.
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:21 pm

I'm afraid I can't shine much light on the situation, everything happened without my involvement or input.
As far as I know, there are scholarships available to players with some experience, fees will be the same as for home students and there are some other financial provisions made. The club is also receiving a significant funding boost this year, in return for providing players to help Emily Blatter with doing youth coaching, I presume pop in schools and camps, I'm not certain though. The scholarship info is on http://www.teamdurham.com/universitysport/scholarships/

My hope is that having extra people of high levels of experience will encourage people, my fear is that without enough 2nd team opportunity that players will be discouraged if they feel they will never get into the team. I hope that overall the influx this year will be good for the club in terms of the skills base, rather than detrimental, I feel it could go either way. I'm certainly looking forward to Old Boys.

Playing for Newcastle Knights is a great shout as well, lots of fun, although the matches and training are on the only two days you have free from Durham training!

Incidentally, Durham's rubber crumb is nearly finished, my levels of jealousy regards the guys who are still there just keep rising.
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09

Return to “UK Uni”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register