ProLaxShop

Iroquois National Team

Moderator: ELA Staff

HighPeaksDeeMonster

Iroquois National Team

Postby HighPeaksDeeMonster Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:00 pm

What a sad loss for English Lacrosse fans that the Iroquois were not allowed to enter the country. I remember the first time I saw an English boys lacrosse team playing at the World Youth Festival in Baltimore, MD in 1998. I was so excited to see the game spreading internationally. It was really cool to hear the British boys calling out to each other during the game with that wonderful British accent.

What some bloody fool in the British government did was to prevent English lacrosse fans from seeing the founders of the game and their wonderful traditions. Many of the Iroquois sport Mohawk haircuts, they have some wonderful warm up rituals, and best of all their style of play is so unique. What a shame.

Take a moment to imagine England's Football team not being allowed into South Africa for the World Cup.

Now take the next moment to write an email to LSECSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, NEYHCustomers@ukba.gsi.gov.uk, MECSU@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, complaints.immig@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk, to express your opinion. Copy in 100 of your closest lax friends and ask them to do the same.

Mark Alvut
Buffalo, NY
Last edited by HighPeaksDeeMonster on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Iroquois National Team

Postby rpowell Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:39 pm

HighPeaksDeeMonster wrote:Take a moment to imagine the British Football team not being allowed into South Africa for the World Cup.

Oh no, what a disaster that would be.

Wait a minute... there is no such thing as a British Football team. Just the separate England, Scotland and Wales sides.

Phew, all OK then... :)
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:55 am

The English football team do however, as far as I am aware, all hold legitimate internationally recognised passports. The Iroquois do not.

The new passport laws and regulations have been in place for sometime now. Surely somewhere along the line someone within the Iroquois (not necessarily lacrosse, I mean someone from their "government" - I don't know how they are governed but assume there is some kind of ruling body) should have realised the Iroquois passports should be updated to reflect international standards as needed to pass into Britain.

It is a sad loss to the games, and a shame for the players who are not really responsible and the spectators, but the British Government was just following its protocol. I guess the argument could be made that they could have made a one-off allowance, but it may have set an unwanted precedent of allowing people into the country without recognised documentation (we all know the UK is subject to serious debate about its immigration policy at present enough as it is).

I don't think the way forward in these situation is to lay blame on certain parties. Like I say, one could just as easily lay blame with the Iroquois management for not ensuring they had correct travel documents, or whoever looks after their migration/passport legislation on a wider level for not ensuring the Haudenausaunee passports complied with certain international standards.

Hopefully this will be avoided again and make all teams realise the possible outcomes of not controlling all possible controllables in their preparations.
Dubai Lacrosse #3
Nicole53

Postby Nicole53 Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:14 am

Hello all!

The team in question, the Iroquois Nationals is composed of First-Nations people from both Canada and the US, mostly from Ontario and New York State. You might also be surprised to learn that they actually have their own passports, and this is exactly where the controversy begins.The Nationals were due to play their opening match against England on Thursday, but the UK authorities refused to issue the Iroquois team visas unless the American government would promise that they would absolutely allow the team back into the US after the tournament was over. That's pretty reasonable, but what was unreasonable is that the US refused. They cited a lack of modern security features on the Iroquois' passports (they are hand-written, hand-made documents) but they had never posed a problem before.
how to treat depression
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:24 am

Nicole53 wrote:Hello all!

The team in question, the Iroquois Nationals is composed of First-Nations people from both Canada and the US, mostly from Ontario and New York State. You might also be surprised to learn that they actually have their own passports, and this is exactly where the controversy begins.The Nationals were due to play their opening match against England on Thursday, but the UK authorities refused to issue the Iroquois team visas unless the American government would promise that they would absolutely allow the team back into the US after the tournament was over. That's pretty reasonable, but what was unreasonable is that the US refused. They cited a lack of modern security features on the Iroquois' passports (they are hand-written, hand-made documents) but they had never posed a problem before.
how to treat depression

hmmm so distinctly after the event and looking spammish, however no links poor show - either well meaning but didn't read the numerous threads on the forum or crap spammer
ahhh ... the whit
Jiellen29

Postby Jiellen29 Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:25 am

Hello!

how to treat depression
I am newbie here...hope you will accept me in this site...

God bless..

Return to “FIL World Championships”