ProLaxShop

Online petition to allow Iroquois to travel

Moderator: ELA Staff

laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Online petition to allow Iroquois to travel

Postby laxwill11 Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 am

Sign up if you think the ban on the Iroquois travelling to Britain should be lifted. We are all part of the lacrosse community for the simple reason that the Iroquois gave us the game - we need to unite as a community in support. Sign up to show your support!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/iroquoislacrosse/
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
HawkUK

Re: Online petition to allow Iroquois to travel

Postby HawkUK Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 am

(Newser) – US officials are refusing to recognize passports held by Iroquois native Americans, blocking champion lacrosse players from traveling to a top international competition in Great Britain. The Iroquois Nationals, including players from upstate New York and Canada, have been traveling for 20 years with the passports, which were issued by a confederacy of six Iroquois nations, reports the New York Daily News.

The British Consulate has refused to issue travel visas to the 23 players because American authorities said they wouldn't be allowed back home. The State Department has offered to obtain expedited US passports for the team, but the Iroquois are insisting on traveling with their own passports, issued by an Indian nation recognized as sovereign by the US. "It's a huge deal because these documents mean so much to our sovereignty," said one player. Time is running out for the team, which is stranded in Manhattan and has already missed a game against Scotland.

Statement from Chief Oren R. Lyons, Honorary Chairman, Iroquois Nationals Lacrosse Team

We have been informed by the Consulate of the United Kingdom of Great Britain that they will not accept the one-time travel waiver offered by the US State Department authorizing travel using the Haudenosaunee Passport for the Iroquois Nationals Lacrosse Team and its delegation to the Federation of International Lacrosse World Championships starting tomorrow in Manchester, England. We are deeply disappointed, and urge our friends and supporters to reach out to the British government to seek reconsideration in this unprecedented rejection of Haudenosaunee passports as well as the one-time travel waiver issued by the US State Departments as was originally requested by the UK Consulate.
Hull Team Secretary & Treasurer 08/09
Hull - 05
Bristol Bombers 2 - 15
LAXLoofer

Postby LAXLoofer Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Dear Iroquois,

I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the brotherhood of the United Kingdom lacrosse players for our country's inability to honour your passports. It is a shame that politics and red-tape have, yet again insisted on destroying a lot of hard work and effort put in by many people in the FIL and ELA in order to host and run a tournament to spread joy provided by the "FASTEST GAME ON TWO FEET".

I sincerely hope that they see sense in time for me to watch your games on the 19th and 20th.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards,

LL
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 am

LAXLoofer wrote:Dear Iroquois,

I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the brotherhood of the United Kingdom lacrosse players for our country's inability to honour your passports. It is a shame that politics and red-tape have, yet again insisted on destroying a lot of hard work and effort put in by many people in the FIL and ELA in order to host and run a tournament to spread joy provided by the "FASTEST GAME ON TWO FEET".

I sincerely hope that they see sense in time for me to watch your games on the 19th and 20th.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards,

LL

Well said,

I agree 100%, ditto

Return to “FIL World Championships”