ProLaxShop

Predictions

Moderator: ELA Staff

DanSawyer

Predictions

Postby DanSawyer Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:02 pm

I'm photographing at the event and want to arrange my schedule. Since after the first 3 days the schedule depends on results, it's time for predictions.

What's gonna happen? Who'll beat whom? My particular interest is Wales (and England, but they're easier to plan).

Also, what other games should be good and spectacular, either the action or the emotion?
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
webby

Re: Predictions

Postby webby Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:51 am

Wales vs the Netherlands will be a tough game, and one I'd recommend anyone to go watch. Netherlands are currently ranked #2 in Europe after the 2008 Euros. From what I've heard and seen, the Dutch are a solid team, but we all know how much passion and dedication there is that drives the Welsh boys.

Wales vs Argentina - Wales to win. As far as I'm aware, the Argies are pretty new to the lacrosse scene.

Wales vs Austria - Wales to win. Wales finished 8th at the Euros, Austria finished 15th. Unless Austria has seriously stepped up their game or brought in a number of international ringers, Wales should walk away with the W.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Agree that Wales vs Netherlands should be a very good game

The winner of this game will avoid Scotland and Ireland in the run to get a play-in game, I think both Scotland & Ireland will be strong.
Bme

Postby Bme Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:21 pm

Im deffo going to watch the Wales v Netherlands game. Might get my welsh flag out for some patriotism.
Ex-York lacrosse club #26 07-09
Ex -Bath University Lacrosse Club 09-10
Bath 09-
Team Dork #26 2010 dublinfest
Viking Lax #26
snooplax

Postby snooplax Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Bme wrote:Im deffo going to watch the Wales v Netherlands game. Might get my welsh flag out for some patriotism.

MIGHT?
Ash

Postby Ash Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I reckon Wales will win the grey division and have a good chance of top placing out of the non blue div teams, providing no other team is hideously overloaded with americans.
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Scotland 14 from 23?
snooplax

Postby snooplax Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Bme wrote:Im deffo going to watch the Wales v Netherlands game. Might get my welsh flag out for some patriotism.

If you cannot find the flag then I would be happy to sell you Wales fundraising tees/polos/hats/hoodies/beanie/sweat pants/jackets/shafts.

:wink:
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 pm

Ash wrote:I reckon Wales will win the grey division and have a good chance of top placing out of the non blue div teams, providing no other team is hideously overloaded with americans.

That was my thought but I guess it depends on the Yank turnout in other nations... I'm planning for a top 2 finish for Wales, and the difference between those two is only 30 minutes in the next start time.
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
webby

Postby webby Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Ash wrote:I reckon Wales will win the grey division and have a good chance of top placing out of the non blue div teams, providing no other team is hideously overloaded with americans.

As I said before, it will be tight between Wales and the Netherlands in that group.

In our group, I have no idea. France, NZ, Latvia and Scotland. Will be interesting.
6x6

Postby 6x6 Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:30 am

webby wrote:

As I said before, it will be tight between Wales and the Netherlands in that group.

In our group, I have no idea. France, NZ, Latvia and Scotland. Will be interesting.

Not to offend but it's got to be Scotland. They've been lackluster lately and I may be wrong about this but I don't think they've had all the North Americans for recent matches.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
webby

Postby webby Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 am

6x6 wrote:Not to offend but it's got to be Scotland. They've been lackluster lately and I may be wrong about this but I don't think they've had all the North Americans for recent matches.

I wasn't sure whether it would be Scotland or NZ to be honest. Scotland were strong at the Celtic Cup, and I imagine they will be stronger now. But NZ are an unknown entity to me. All I know is they have the 3 Clayton brothers and Happy.

But who knows what will happen. I hear that France are looking pretty tasty :wink:
Saul

Postby Saul Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Ive seen Lativa at the Berlin Open 2010 and they may not look very special but dont underestimate them. Ive seen two of their games and the one against USA AI at the later rounds of the tournament was very spectacular. They only lost by 2 goals to USA AI, the team who later made 3rd place. Final standing was 8-10. They're big, hit hard and do not back down. Obvisouly USA AI was dominating skill wise but Lativa was killing them on the field up to the point where it was clear to us in the stands that the US boys were scared. The momentum shifted and on fire they made some very nice goals. Could definitely have gone the other way. Even the other us-based team (who later made 4th place) they played during the group stage had respect for them, one of them said to me: "every face-off one was put on the ground, bodys flying everywhere" xD.

I played them two years ago at the Euros in Lathi, and with what ive seen at Berlin id say, they're not a team you like to play against and skill wise they have improved, ive seen some nice plays from them too. I think they're one of the teams that can make a surprise.

To the thread opener, go to a Lativa game, action is guaranteed. To those who play Lativa, man up is key as they obiously get a lot of penalties and dont back down.
Ash

Postby Ash Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:37 pm

There is a player for Latvia. I think he is number 20, who is an absolute take out machine and a bit of a unit. One of the most physical players I've seen. Beware if your in their division and make sure your health insurance is upto date. Brutal.
cavebehr

Postby cavebehr Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:43 am

Mongolia will take the gold...I think they have a team, anyways it will probably be USA vs Candy-duh in the finals, except this time the Candy-landers wont get the gold, at least not in field lacrosse
I really wanna see some small ex-commie countries do good, as a sigh that the big dogs don't always win, just look at Italy and france in the FIFA World Cup
Anyways I have no idea who is playing, country-wise, but patriotism has to take a lead to ethnic ties right now, thus, US will win it
"The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity."- Seneca
Bay Area Sandsharks U-17
Springstead High School Boys Varsity
webby

Postby webby Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 am

Participating nations:

Argentina Australia Austria Bermuda Canada

Czech Republic Denmark England Finland

France Germany Hong Kong Ireland

Iroquois Italy Japan Latvia Mexico

Netherlands New Zealand Norway Poland

Scotland Slovakia South Korea Spain

Sweden Switzerland USA Wales
webby

Postby webby Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:24 am

Ash wrote:There is a player for Latvia. I think he is number 20, who is an absolute take out machine and a bit of a unit. One of the most physical players I've seen. Beware if your in their division and make sure your health insurance is upto date. Brutal.

Good to hear. Nothing like a physical game, as long as it's clean.
jsgi

Postby jsgi Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Some detailed beermat analysis, guesswork and slight home nation (UK) bias...

USA
Canada
England
Iroquois
Australia
Japan
Ireland
Germany
Wales
Scotland
Netherlands
Sweden
Finland
Czech
Latvia
Norway
Mexico
Denmark
NZ
Slovakia
Spain
Italy
Poland
South Korea
France
Switzerland
HK
Austria
Bermuda
Argentina
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
Ash

Postby Ash Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Think you've done austria a significant diservice there! IMHO they'll finish about 10 places higher than that! Suspect about Latvia level in your list.
jsgi

Postby jsgi Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:45 am

Ash wrote:Think you've done austria a significant diservice there! IMHO they'll finish about 10 places higher than that! Suspect about Latvia level in your list.

As I said I'm guessing ;-) It will be fun to find out.
--------------------------------------------------

Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"

Return to “FIL World Championships”