Loughborough University Men's Head Coach
South England Universities Head Coach
www.ArchLevelLacrosse.com
www.TheALFactory.com
www.TheArchLevelReport.com
dannyecko

Re: Running Up the Score - A Class"less" Act

Postby dannyecko Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

So if it is classless to push for a score so high in lacrosse isn't that the same as telling Usain Bolt to slow down during a race so the gap is narrowed??? I'd understand where you are coming from to say it's unsportsmanlike if the winning team were trying all sorts of crazy shots, trick shots or crease dives etc. but there's no evidence to suggest that the games were like that, it could just be a case of the teams playing good, well drilled lacrosse.
Leeds Met University #12 2010-12
Leeds Lacrosse Club #42 2010-12
Hull Lacrosse Club 2012-
Yorkshire Lacrosse BNC's 2012/2013
Lax Bandicoot #42
whopead

Postby whopead Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:20 pm

I personallydont really like these massive results. The German lacrosse leage has a good solution to this in my opinion. when a game is played the largest winning margin that is registered is " i think" 10 or 15 goals. so when a score is reported in a game where the game score is BLUE 35 - Red 2. the recorded score would be 17-2. This negates the NEED to run up the score as it will not affect league tables. What do people think?
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
GarethBrown

Postby GarethBrown Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:21 pm

It's a pretty baseless assumption, but Im pretty sure those games probably involved the same 'superstars' beating defenders who they knew they were better than, or taking big shots against keepers that they knew wouldnt save them.

The exception in my mind is probably the durham game - obviously they probably have a whole different team to last year, but having seen them last year I can believe that they put 30 team goals past someone by dictating possession.
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

Classless article in my book.

I'd be embarassed if a team stopped going to goal because they felt sorry for me.

The whole point of playing is to score as many goals as possible, surely.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
young_trig

Postby young_trig Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 am

mmm...beer wrote:Classless article in my book.

I'd be embarassed if a team stopped going to goal because they felt sorry for me.

The whole point of playing is to score as many goals as possible, surely.

I partly disagree with that statement.
I like to think that my team plays to get better and better week on week.
Does my team get better because Johnny No-Pass decided to score an individual goal taking on several players and scoring past an inexperienced goalkeeper? I think not.

I have been involved in games where my team scored close to 30 goals. In tight games I agree that teams should score anyway they can, but in games with big margins they should focus on fundamentals and scoring team goals that help the good of the team. I have no real issue with big margins, providing that the winning team show respect and don't take the p*ss.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:19 am

dannyecko wrote:So if it is classless to push for a score so high in lacrosse isn't that the same as telling Usain Bolt to slow down during a race so the gap is narrowed??? I'd understand where you are coming from to say it's unsportsmanlike if the winning team were trying all sorts of crazy shots, trick shots or crease dives etc. but there's no evidence to suggest that the games were like that, it could just be a case of the teams playing good, well drilled lacrosse.

Not a particularly good analogy .... track athletes 'could' be running against the clock as well as the other competitors.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
whopead

Postby whopead Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:21 am

I agree in that respect Trig... How do you sit with people playing out of position to make the game more interesting....obviosly without making it really obvious that you are doing it because the opposition are not competing? i agree that playing well worked plays is more beneficial in the long run that blasting shots from anywhere!
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
dannyecko

Postby dannyecko Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:06 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:
dannyecko wrote:So if it is classless to push for a score so high in lacrosse isn't that the same as telling Usain Bolt to slow down during a race so the gap is narrowed??? I'd understand where you are coming from to say it's unsportsmanlike if the winning team were trying all sorts of crazy shots, trick shots or crease dives etc. but there's no evidence to suggest that the games were like that, it could just be a case of the teams playing good, well drilled lacrosse.

Not a particularly good analogy .... track athletes 'could' be running against the clock as well as the other competitors.

Lacrosse teams 'could' be running against last seasons scores trying to gain more/concede less. What's the point in being complacent once a team is in front, every man and his dog seems to complain that it is the problem when our national football team takes the lead, why should it be different in any other sport? When a boxer knocks an opponent down they don't step off them and let them recover they go in for the knockout and finish the job off. With the turnover of BUCS players ever 3 or 4 years each league is going to always have different teams at different levels so there is not going to be the same consistency that may happen in NEMLA so these scores may well happen. Ironic thing is Loughborough, who are being coached by the author of the content, were posting them kind of scores last year yet I know having played against them that it wasn't because they were unsportsmanlike it was because they were playing good lacrosse.
Leeds Met University #12 2010-12
Leeds Lacrosse Club #42 2010-12
Hull Lacrosse Club 2012-
Yorkshire Lacrosse BNC's 2012/2013
Lax Bandicoot #42
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:13 pm

dannyecko wrote:
UKLacrosse wrote:

Lacrosse teams 'could' be running against last seasons scores trying to gain more/concede less. What's the point in being complacent once a team is in front, every man and his dog seems to complain that it is the problem when our national football team takes the lead, why should it be different in any other sport? When a boxer knocks an opponent down they don't step off them and let them recover they go in for the knockout and finish the job off. With the turnover of BUCS players ever 3 or 4 years each league is going to always have different teams at different levels so there is not going to be the same consistency that may happen in NEMLA so these scores may well happen. Ironic thing is Loughborough, who are being coached by the author of the content, were posting them kind of scores last year yet I know having played against them that it wasn't because they were unsportsmanlike it was because they were playing good lacrosse.

Blimey, all I said was the obvious ..... having been a runner in my time, I thought it was pretty obvious that just as much winning or losing a race, was the time you ran, whether that was against the same opposition or not, or whatever the conditions. In boxing you have a referee who can step in and say 'enough is enough' and stop the fight. Lacrosse is a game of possession, and the team who can win the ball, keep the ball and use it, can rack up goals. In football, you can have a third of the possession, and still win .... think Chelsea did that last season in the Champions League. Doubt that would work in lacrosse ... I don't recall seeing any games like that. Think Archlevel is hankering back to his US roots, where there is almost an unwritten code that says you win, and win well, but 20 goals to not very many is sufficient.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com
Pete_Brum

Postby Pete_Brum Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 am

There are sooo many reasons for these score lines, this article was very narrow minded and poorly thought out. 1 main reason is university pride, we are all adults and playing a very physical and competitive sport. Try telling lads, who have been waiting all summer for the bucs season, to 'not score the easy goal, but make 4 more passes and make it even more embarrassing for them'.
Secondly, at this level, where goal difference counts, why shouldn't teams try their best? If I turned up to a game, after hard pre season training, and a 'coach and a leader' told me to just walk through this one to make the opposition feel better id be pretty annoyed. I am all for development of the sport, but at this time, there is only a certain amount of leagues and a certain amount of games and its no reason for the experienced players to not bother for a while.

Most teams outside the premierships are made up of nearly all beginners, at birmingham id say 90% minimum of the mens clubs started 1 or 2 years ago. In my opinion if you get beat big, you have either played one of the very few teams (2 or 3) who get a consistently good intake of experienced players who havn't made it into the prem yet or the other team has simply worked alot harder than they deserve the win.

Capping score lines is for junior level so kids don't get dis-heartened and quit. Not in university if we want people to take our sport seriously. No other sport i know of 'goes easy on them'. Stupid.
PurpleD

Postby PurpleD Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:47 am

I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with huge score differences. In fact, at a level of competition such as BUCS this is bound to happen given the yearly waxing and waning of any given team. This is simply part of a game; it would be more embarrassing for another team if they realised you were going easy on them to avoid embarrassing them.

What I do have a problem with is winning without class. Sportsmanship is always very important. If you're winning a game and racking up big scores, that's great, but you should always get your goals by playing good lacrosse as a team, in order to benefit your team as a whole. It should never be about 'who got the most behind the backs' or 'did you see how awesome my unnecessary crease dive was on my 9th goal?'.

Of course, Lacrosse is a sport that allows showmanship and show-boating, and that's partly why people love it. But the difference is that in Lacrosse, so called 'trick shots' are actually useful - a behind the back shot whilst you're being driven away from the cage by a defenseman is in fact a more logical and easier option than trying to turn your body to shoot; you can get an angle on the goal even when you've been driven close to GLE. However, these are the kind of shots and flare that should come out when a game is close, when both teams are pushing to the limit and pushing themselves to their very maximum capabilities, exploring every possibility to get that winning goal. It is completely unnecessary when you're 24-0 up; it's simply boosting your own ego.

Where's the joy in hammering a team you've already beaten; you already know you're better than them. Don't judge a man by how he treats his equals, but by how he treats those who have nothing to offer him.

Guy.
Independent Filmmaker
Defenseman

Ex-Manchester University #5
English Universities 2012 #5
Mmk

Postby Mmk Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:51 am

I think this article may refer to Durham's 39-0 win over Sheff Uni. I wasn't there, I didn't see the goals but I know that Sheff Uni did the same thing they did last season and the season before - they went home and enjoyed the Weds social. Then the next night, those who were not still hungover made their way down to practice with the Hallam lads.

Durham are a cut above the other University teams and have been for the last few years. The only way to show their dominance is a large scoresheet - something Sheff Uni was proud of only a few years ago (season GD's from 08-11 were 91, 78 & 122). This is simply a way of highlighting an inequality between teams which is more prevalent in University sport than other leagues due to the ephemeral nature of team skill, experience and individual skill.

Perhaps in a few year's time, Durham will have lost their core players and another uni team will take their mantle as the most intimidating team to play against, hopefully a rejuvenated Sheff Uni.
bonjourmc

Postby bonjourmc Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Manchester played Durham yesterday and I was chatting to one of their poles. He said after half time they slowed right down and stopped banging them in, but then the University Sport Director arrived and apparently told them he wanted a 40+ score line.

They seem a different group of lads this year, much more sociable and despite the score line I enjoyed the game. Lets not get too hung up on bashing them, getting a bit tiresome.
dom#10

Postby dom#10 Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:48 pm

bonjourmc wrote:Manchester played Durham yesterday and I was chatting to one of their poles. He said after half time they slowed right down and stopped banging them in, but then the University Sport Director arrived and apparently told them he wanted a 40+ score line.

They seem a different group of lads this year, much more sociable and despite the score line I enjoyed the game. Lets not get too hung up on bashing them, getting a bit tiresome.

well then maybe someone needs to tell the director of sport not to be such a d1ck...
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:49 pm

dom#10 wrote:
bonjourmc wrote:Manchester played Durham yesterday and I was chatting to one of their poles. He said after half time they slowed right down and stopped banging them in, but then the University Sport Director arrived and apparently told them he wanted a 40+ score line.

well then maybe someone needs to tell the director of sport not to be such a d1ck...

What was the final score by the way?
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
bonjourmc

Postby bonjourmc Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

dom#10 wrote:<null>

Agreed.
Mmk

Postby Mmk Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:
dom#10 wrote:

What was the final score by the way?

Durham won 22-1

Return to “University”