ProLaxShop

U18s League

Play in the North, South? U12-U19? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

Do you want Junior Lacrosse to be extended to U18s age Group?

Yes
67%
No
20%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 15
UKLaxfan

U18s League

Postby UKLaxfan Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 am

Would you be interested in having an U18s League?

Would you prefer U16s to be in a competitive League not just friendlies?

share your views
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 pm

it should all be competitive otherwise there is no point playing.
I keep hearig people talking about upsetting juniors if they finish bottom, does that not happen in major sports - some teams aren't as good as others?
You'd struggle to get U18's played on a Saturday morning, building the case of juniors on a Sunday, however Sunday nights is U19's in the North.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
dmiddie

Postby dmiddie Fri May 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Under other thread, there is/ was a proposal at J&S's to realign juniors to U11, U13, U15 and U17's. That would make more sense as there's already an introduction of U11's at the younger end to help split up what has become a too wide age band. At top end it would help to retain some U16's who fall by the wayside due to not getting into the U19's and a struggle to adapt to senior lacrosse. Sundays for juniors is a dead duck. It will never get wide support from the clubs.
Waggy

Postby Waggy Sun May 23, 2010 10:33 am

Why bother with under 18's, change the existing age groups to better fit development and education, u19's, u17's, u15's, u13's, u11's, u9's. or would this upset the old duffers to much like the league restructure 'don't change it because we've always done it this way!'
UKLaxfan

Re:

Postby UKLaxfan Sun May 23, 2010 11:16 am

Waggy wrote:Why bother with under 18's, change the existing age groups to better fit development and education, u19's, u17's, u15's, u13's, u11's, u9's. or would this upset the old duffers to much like the league restructure 'don't change it because we've always done it this way!'

Currently there is a GAP from U16s to BUCS/Senior lacrosse

u19's, u17's, u15's, u13's, u11's, u9's. would involve Clubs needing 3x Home pitches

I have no idea why the League restructure didn't go ahead it makes Zero sense to defer for 12 months

- League Restructure
- Squad size up to 16 max
- Junior Competition Levels review

These changes need some joined up thinking to ensure player retention and inline with a Player Pathway
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 pm

u19's, u17's, u15's, u13's, u11's, u9's. would involve Clubs needing 3x Home pitches

No it wouldn't at least not at first. The idea is to introduce a competetive structure at each level, so that does not mean necessarily all play on Saturday morning. U19s would stay as they are. U11s would be the standard starting level with an U9s tournament programme. So 2 pitches needed regularly if a team is entered in each age group.
stocklax26

JUNIOR SYSTEM

Postby stocklax26 Mon May 24, 2010 9:40 am

Agreed, as a coach I think we need to encourage a more competitive nature in our junior players. But I think we need to be more extreme, move the whole junior lacrosse set-up to the summer months.

Matthew Bagley from Blues who has been trying to come up with the concept for SEMLA.

1. You dont compete with Football, Rugby... Cricket is not really going to effect numbers. (MORE NUMBERS)
2. We get the pick of the athletes who we miss out on due to Football, Cricket
3. Far more marketable to kids, who dont usually play due to other sport commitments and usually have nothing to do in the summer months.
4. You could link up with local Football and Rugby clubs (Club Partnerships)
5. The game would be played at a far higher pace, more run-and-gun style of play.
6. Your U18 proposals would not effect Senior Teams.
7. Club revenues would be sustained throughout the year.

You would have to take into consideration:

Most teams have or have access to an alternative pitch thats not being used as a cricket pitch during the summer, however some do not so maybe hosting mini-tournaments is the answer.

Volunteers have a very long year, so you would have to break the two seasons up with a couple of breaks:

1: After the Senior Season
2: One for US tours/ International Competition
3: After the Junior Season

Recruitment - Would you recruit durning the summer or winter? How would the LDO system work?
Ketts19

Re: Re:

Postby Ketts19 Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 am

i would suggest whichever of the suggested ideas was implemented each club would require at least a half dozen and probably closer to 10 extra volunteers to cover coaching, management, refereeing, bench officials etc. That could be the biggest barrier to overcome, manpower.

And slightly off topic.

UKLaxfan wrote:
I have no idea why the League restructure didn't go ahead it makes Zero sense to defer for 12 months

Now this may just be me, but I would imagine that if you try to move the goalposts with barely weeks of the season left, someone may take exception to it. Some clubs will have worked towards an aim of promotion/surviving relegation this season and it must be frustrating to find that all that effort could be academic because of a complete overhaul of the league.

I can't see Richard Scudamore putting forward a proposal for implementing extra teams in the Premier League after 30 games of the season have been played :!:

But perhaps I'm just an old duffer :wink:
Jedi Lax #19

Some people are beyond help....myself included

Return to “UK Juniors”