Box Lacrosse in England

All other men's leagues and teams including Europe and the USA

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
eastcouleeboy

Box Lacrosse in England

Postby eastcouleeboy Mon May 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Well, now that the 2007 WIFL Championships in Halifax are over, I would be interested in hearing how English fans feel about the future of box lacrosse in England. I do not know which games were broadcast on TV in England or how many people would even have viewed the games so wonder how much buzz there has been about the games. The team and organizers can be proud of their performance at the tournament. Has anyone spoken to any of the Team England players and heard how they felt about their experience? Will their be more interest in box lacrosse or will field lacrosse remain the sport of choice?
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Tue May 22, 2007 4:26 am

There were two England games scheduled to be on Eurosport 2 Live

England v Iroquois
England v Canada

The Iroquois game missed the 1st 30mins as a women's tennis match over ran, it was horrible some rank outsider fluked a set. Women's clay court is not fun.

The Canada game was cancelled after 5 mins as Eastlink provided a feed to a camera up in a corner rather than the halfway line gametrack camera, which meant you couldn't tell who the players were and no chance of seeing the ball. So Eurosport pulled the plug.

There are a number of barriers to Box lacrosse in England.

1) Venues: England isn't a big Ice Hockey country, so there are no outside rinks like they have in Scandanavia & Czech Republic.

2) Equipment: Goalie equipment is very expensive because there is very little hockey, likewise the hard shell, arm, rib, kidney and spine protectors are not very common although better than it used to be.

3) Experience/Expertise very few people have been exposed to box lacrosse, so coaching/refereeing knowledge is limited.

4) Ignorance: For a lot of people the only bit of Box lacrosse they see or know is the fighting, which isn't very attractive in a sport when you have work on Monday. There is plenty of fighting outside pubs every Friday/Saturday night to have to play a sport that promotes it.

5) Will/Desire : Most Clubs are run by a couple of people who do all the work. Most players simply turn up play a game then go home. They are content to have a bit of a run have a few beers then do it all again next weekend. The desire to learn a new game, join a new team, buy new equipment to play other new teams isn't there.

For me personally I was lucky enough to play Box Lacrosse in Australia at Altona,Vic. It wasn't indoor but we had boards and a gate and the hitting and shot clock was there. It was fantastic to play, it's like lacrosse+, it was fast furious and great fun to play and watch. There is no standing around and nobody hogs the ball because if you do you get hit and it hurts. Square or cross checking is easy to learn and encourages you to move the ball and move your feet.

There are lots of benefits to playing box lacrosse, it would definitely improve the standard of field lacrosse. Handling and shooting develop rapidly as you are under constant pressure and it's harder to score in a smaller goal with a bigger goalie. You get used to catching in traffic again because you have to.

The problem is you need a critical mass/number of players to actually get a game together.

Hopefully all the guys who come back will be inspired to spark things up.
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Tue May 22, 2007 9:38 am

Slightly amatuerish but Rochdale have kept their astro training pitch for the summer and are playing 6-aside box style games for an hour every Monday.

It's not perfect but a start, absolutely exhausting and everyone is having loads of fun/ getting battered.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 am

What happened to the EBALL?

I remember something about it....but it was just as i was getting into the game a couple of years ago, and dont really remember what the craic was.
Two Up!
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue May 22, 2007 12:49 pm

swansea are looking at renting out a sports hall for a go. Slightly scaled down though. No take outs into the boards... as they are brick walls! but they have the goals and we have access to hockey kit for goalies! :D
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Southsea skatepark has a roller hockey rink with boards to about 3 foot and chainlink above. No prospect of getting a game on there because it's now the skatepark street course. However, if Southsea's rink would work, it must follow that wherever people play inline or roller hockey, there's a potential box lacrosse venue. Get googling you box enthusiasts.
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 am

I e-mailed the guys at the UK inline hockey website about the possibilty of hiring the rink at Bisley but never got a reply, I'll try the actual complex and see if I can get some contact details for it.
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
https://www.facebook.com/DreadLAX
GiBby

Just to let you know...

Postby GiBby Thu May 24, 2007 10:18 am

In Dublin,

We play out of a small sports hall and run a 4 team league. We bought 4x4 goals from UKGoals and cheaper goalie equipment from canada. Luckily we had a guy bring it over so there was no charge for shipping. I can tell you personally it is one of the best things that we have done thus far here in Ireland. The games were awesome and our boys improved every week. There is no substitute for the skills gained in Box!!

Initial investment was floor time, gear, and nets our boys were happy to pay a bit of cash to offset these costs.
-----------------------------------------------
GiBby -
Dublin Lacrosse #13
Dublin Riggers #13
Ireland #13
Hitchin #3, SEMLA CHAMPIONS 2005/06 & 2006/07

"Fake High, Fake Low, High Cheese..."
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Thu May 24, 2007 10:24 am

That's doable, where would a league likely be based? London area?

We could do a couple of evening a month or something.
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Postby S-t-r-e-t-c-h Thu May 24, 2007 11:44 am

there are plenty of ice rinks in the uk, just need to get them thawed, only problem is they arnt in a very high density arround the stockport/manchester area where lacrosse is at its strongest.

i remember some box being played over the summer a few years ago, wasnt involved so dont actually know much about it, was arround stockport.

best thing is to use it as a summer game, in gyms/sports halls acrosse the country, get some small training goals made up, play with your team mates. if you have three teams in the nemla/semla, than getting 12 people out is going to be easy, and if your from the same club reffing could be done yourselves. the game could always progress on sundays ect, during the season, use it as training, throw in a few long poles anyway, maybe even arange frendlies. we can all play field lax, i dont think it would be hard to get our heads in some books and learn box basics.

-stretch
Shef uni #2
Jedi Lax #2
old-stockport #11
pop lacrosse ALLSTAR!
Delmonte

Postby Delmonte Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:32 pm

this has already been discussed a while back, the major problem was where to play, some rinks where expensive, others didnt reply to messages, and there was the fixtures, where to play it as in area, and how many games played, the idea popped up where if there was a league, for instance in the summer maybe play 2-4 matchs at the weekend at the same venue. That way be lots of people watching and make it more fun, the idea was if there were say a venue in the west, london and north the fixtures could rotate round, so everyone has to travel away some point
morrell_ben

Postby morrell_ben Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:58 am

Having similar problems finding a rink here in Sydney,

Box has been here for a while, I only came here in December, but I know many English players have played at the very place I'm talking about in The Rocks, Sydney......

Its basically an outdoor basketball court, with Walls on 2 sides, a netted end and a fence on the other. We don't go nuts on each other, but the contact is reasonable, and it works. Usually 5 a side not 6, but most Saturdays there has been games on there, and having played field nearly all my life, I have to say Box has a very valuable place within many areas of my game. My close control has improved, vision, picking is a major obviously, and also work rate.

Anyone who plays football will know, 5 a side footy is shattering, as the ball is always in, and you are running constantly, same goes for box.

There isn't a rink within 15 miles of Sydney, so we'll stick with what we've got......I know in the other states in Australia they are more priviledged in the rink department!

Would be great to see a summer league formed in England - bonus being you aren't clashing with the cricket pitches which most lacrosse pitches lie on.....
Spencer

Postby Spencer Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:47 am

Having just come back from the Worlds i can say i love box lacrosse and i dont know if i can wait a year for the prauge tournement to get my next fix.

Lots of the guys on the team are living down south and there was some talk of trying to sort out some pick up games to get things started.
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:54 am

Yeah I think the best way to start would probably be just get the venue turn up and see how the games go, then if it goes well get it going a couple of times a month or something and slowly built a league worth of teams, could be brilliant.
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
CGKer

Postby CGKer Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:01 am

See Southern Section. I'm organising Box Training at the fantastic facilities in Bisley nr Woking. Its 25 from London by Train, its very close to the M3, A3 and M25. The next session will be mid week, mid month of Sept. Possibly 12th Sept.

All over 18's are invited.
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Seriously, Badgers make better tube drivers than Moles. Ask one.
EGLC #19
G&J #60
salmiakki

Re: Box Lacrosse in England

Postby salmiakki Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:01 am

This is a very old thread, but I was wondering if there still was any interest in box lacrosse?

I'm asking because we're opening an inline hockey rink in Hampshire (kinda like the one in Bisley, but loads better). I want to offer box lacrosse in there.

You'll also be glad to know that this facility is run by Salmiakki Community Interest Company. We're non-profit for the benefit of non-mainstream sports. It's cheaper to hire out our rink than it would be to hire out the horrible brick-walled leisure centre down the road. We'll also have the new spec boards (they're being built in Finland as we speak) that will conform to the new ice hockey requirements coming in 2014... they flex a bit more so it doesn't hurt quite so much when you get thrown at the boards and there's much less chance of injuries. We'll also have ice hockey regulation plexi on top of the boards so your ball won't escape every two seconds.

Our website is on its way, but in the meantime we're chatting away on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Salmiakki - come have a look.

All the best,
Setti @ Salmiakki Sports
webby

Postby webby Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:42 am

Someone jump on this opportunity now! How often can you say an owner of a field/rink has come looking for lax teams?

If only you were based in the north east!
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:23 am

There are lots of versions of lacrosse

Field Men's
Women's
Pop
Inter-Crosse
INTO

etc

but Box Lacrosse is like Lacrosse +
It's Fast
It's Violent
It's Skillful
It's Intense

if I was aware of Box Lacrosse as a kid, I would have played Box over field every day of the week & twice on Sunday

You get hit
You hit back
You Run Fast
and Go To Goal
Big Goalies Little Goals
Transition, Ball Movement, Making Space & Feeding Team mates is the path to success

A lot of people are scared of Box Lacrosse as all they see are the Fights
Forget the Fighting - leave that to the Crazy Canucks
Fast - Physical - Fun & Gun Lax

Watch the Iroquois Nationals play Box
Toronto Rock under Coach Les Bartley (RIP) when Jim Veltman was Capt early 2000s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Bartley
Watch Rochester with JGJ
Watch Mammoth when GG was there
Watch the Bandits with Tavares & Coach Kilgour
Watch the Roughnecks either under England Box Head Coach Chris Hall or more recently under Troy Cordingley
Old School Philly Wings with John Grant Senior (legend) 1974 Documentary

I've got stuff on Box Lacrosse I'd like to share, if anyone has the balls to play BoxLa

Troy Cordingley Coached Scotland as Asst Coach in 2003 WILC
He is the Most Intense Fired Up little puppy I've ever met as a Coach
http://www.thestar.com/sports/lacrosse/ ... h-by-night

Players would run thru walls for him
mind body & soul on the line every game - Love the Guy :mrgreen:

There are no players with all the gear and No idea in Box Lacrosse

Lax Bros & Flow Society need not apply

They would get crushed :lol:

Lax Players ONLY

Non Players stay off the floor - as Players may appear bigger in real life than in the rear view mirror

If you feel Rugby is a girl's game and American Football is too slow - Play Box

Unleash the Beast! :twisted:
salmiakki

Postby salmiakki Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:46 pm

webby wrote:Someone jump on this opportunity now! How often can you say an owner of a field/rink has come looking for lax teams?

If only you were based in the north east!

You'll be glad to know we're launching weekly box lacrosse sessions at Solent Arena next week! Box will be played every Wednesday from 10pm and hopefully we'll get enough players to run a proper league next summer! Gotta start somewhere!
BoxFan

Postby BoxFan Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:48 am

I will be running the Box Lacrosse sessions at "The Solent Arena" The first one will be tomorrow night and they will continue every Wednesday in the new year. All players are welcome whether you have box experience or not.

The arena is legit and provides the facility to play authentic box lacrosse. This will not be field lacrosse indoors :) The sessions will focus on Box specific skills and drills and depending on numbers will turn into a weekely scrimmage.

The London Knights are also excited to annouce the Solent Arena will also be hosting the International Tasko Cup in March 2014. The first ever legitiate Box Lacrosse tournament in England!

please check out our Facebook page for details

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/554021744668569/

any questions PM me

Cheers,

Alan Keeley

Return to “Other Men's”