Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
davidmcculloch81

Re: European Club Championship 2011

Postby davidmcculloch81 Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Fat b*****d wrote:
davidmcculloch81 wrote:
Fat b*****d wrote:
Whitey wrote:Well done to Farsta...

I have been called a little grumpy in the past but...
was a tournament without the best UK side and no Czech team worth it?

The champions can call themselves European champs, but they know they'll lose to Stockport, and probably a Czech team!

Farsta-Stockport score 6-5, 2013-09-08 and by the way they have newer lost to a Czech team

I rest my case

But you did lose to a rampant Team Nando in Berlin 2011 after a seven-goal second-half comeback. I think you might have complained about losing that game because we made friends with some young, quick Americans :lol:

Well......because you could not live with the shame of loosing to a swedish team
i guess your only chance to win the game was to bring the americans in :wink:

I wonder what is the worst loosing to a southern league team or to another european team... :wink:

Luckily, I don't think I have ever suffered the horrible shame of either.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
the pom

Postby the pom Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:23 pm

young_trig wrote:
davidmcculloch81 wrote:
the pom wrote:I cannot believe this but I am supporting Stockport here

I doubt it was a proper Stockport team they had a team in bath and it was an England training week end
so all the best players would have been in England not in gent
so this Stockport team was probably a best of the rest/boozing team I doubt it contained that many first team players

So apart from the fact that Stockport *weren't* at Bath and their England players *were* in Ghent, you've pretty much nailed it there Beadle. Spot on.

I think that we came blame this on the league restructue. Stockport would never have lost under the old structure

I think you could be right trig as we have now been playing less competitive games each season the standard is dropping lower.
as smaller teams fold and join to bigger stronger clubs the younger players are forced in the lower nemla leagues they are not getting exposed to higher level lacrosse
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
dalglish

Postby dalglish Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 pm

The best team won over the weekend, no excuses from Stockport, Spencer got better as the tournament went on and were deserved winners.

Stockport had the chances to beat Farsta but couldn't hit a cows a*** with banjo in the semi. 29-14 shots plus 13 mins of penalties tells the story. 5-5 final score losing in O/T. The Farsta keeper played one of the best games I've seen for a long time, peppered during final 10 mins and was ultimately voted MVP for the weekend.
In answer to the question as to who didn't play Bland, Murphy, Baxter, Williamson, Reynolds, Singleton, Leonard and Carny did not travel from last years first team but the squad was still good enough to compete. Possibly due to the fact that the Saturday games were not competitive may have had some effect.
The only saving grace was the spirit shown in both the semi final and the final play off game especially, 8-4 down with 6 minutes to play, slowly clawing back to 8-8 only this time the O/T winner went Stockport's way.
Hey ho- onwards and upwards, good experience for everyone and a few lessons learned.

The tournament was very well organised, 5 superb pitches, great weather, good bar, great hospitality. The feeling is that this would be a very good venue to come back, If there is a better facility anywhere else I'd like to see it.
the pom

Postby the pom Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:20 am

so only 8 first team players missing might as well call it full strength then.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Spencer20

Postby Spencer20 Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Would second those comments on the facilities and organisation - can't see why you'd look for an alternative location next year given what was laid on over the weekend.
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Where was it again?

Hej Sverige; what's the standard of club lax over there then? Is it a surprise to do so well?

Spencer; your views? Did you take a full squad? What did you do well?

Congrats, by the way.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
Spencer20

Postby Spencer20 Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:15 am

It was in Ghent, Belgium.

We were missing a few 1st team regulars and only took 1 recognised attack man. However, team D was immense and those filling in up front played quality attack.

Avoiding a high penalty count also helped
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:37 am

Is Kirkwood at spencer? Think a good few of the south team were with spencer at the bncs of I remember?

Few handy players.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
Spencer20

Postby Spencer20 Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:59 am

He was. He's moved back up north now so wasn't playing.
Fat bastard

Postby Fat bastard Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:38 am

Jim13 wrote:Where was it again?

Hej Sverige; what's the standard of club lax over there then? Is it a surprise to do so well?

Spencer; your views? Did you take a full squad? What did you do well?

Congrats, by the way.

Hi jim,
The standard of club lacrosse in Sweden is ok but there is only 4 teams that compete regulary. Then you have 3 teams that you have to combine to get a full team during a tournement.
So i would say there is less than 80 players that play lacrosse as there main sport. (Total amount around 120players)
So considering that we are at a very high standard.
At the euros we placed 2004 4th, 2008 4th, 2012 3d and 2011 Farsta beat the blues pretty easy so we have some quality in the country.
But we have never been accused of being fancy when we play :D
The strange thing is that we are newer in the discussion of the medals in europe but we are allways in there fighting for them the last decade but i guess being the underdog has it's advantages. :wink:
What we really need in sweden is to play against high quality lacrosse clubs otherwise we will not develop lacrosse in sweden.
The goalies needs to face sharp shooters, Attack needs to face good defence and so on
That is why tournements like Champions cup is so important for the rest of europe, to compete against better opponents is the only way to develop.
If England didn't participated then the tournement wouldn't have any credibility but also there would not be a reason for us to participate.
We only travel there so we can face good english teams.
Maybe a england tour is the next step but you know money is always an issue.
So Spencer maybe we will come for you next year with fresh legs :wink:
And i Think Stockport want a rematch.
Likkedeeler #27

Postby Likkedeeler #27 Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:24 pm

For the sake of clarifying the process, regarding a repeat of the venue and timing.

It is worthwhile noting that this event was produced on the back of a competitive tender constructed of an invitiation for expression of interest (from clubs), followed by a detailed description of requirements from the board/ELF committee/whoever does it, followed by complete bids from potential hosts. Member nations then vote where they want to see the cup played out.

Given the quality of the outcome, it seems unlikely that the ELF would abandon that process. Should Ghent choose to bid again then they can win it again.

This also means that if clubs want to go to the same venue again, you need to influence your own national governing body (i.e. the ELA, or Swedish Lacrosse Federation) accordingly as they will vote on your behalf.

Have the guys in Ghent said if they wanted to do it again?
Offence wins games,
Defence wins championships
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Likkedeeler #27 wrote:For the sake of clarifying the process, regarding a repeat of the venue and timing.

It is worthwhile noting that this event was produced on the back of a competitive tender constructed of an invitiation for expression of interest (from clubs), followed by a detailed description of requirements from the board/ELF committee/whoever does it, followed by complete bids from potential hosts. Member nations then vote where they want to see the cup played out.

Given the quality of the outcome, it seems unlikely that the ELF would abandon that process. Should Ghent choose to bid again then they can win it again.

This also means that if clubs want to go to the same venue again, you need to influence your own national governing body (i.e. the ELA, or Swedish Lacrosse Federation) accordingly as they will vote on your behalf.

Have the guys in Ghent said if they wanted to do it again?

Judging by the players' comments, this is a victory for the ELF's tendering and selection process.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
dalglish

Postby dalglish Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 pm

FB, why not try and plan to enter the Stockport Easter 8's in 2014, you'd be welcomed with open arms. Could camp out to reduce costs. We could even try and arrange a full game at some point on the Saturday afternoon.

Return to “Tournaments”