Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
davidmcculloch81

Re: European Club Championship 2011

Postby davidmcculloch81 Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 am

Fat b*****d wrote:
webby wrote:
Fat b*****d wrote:and this year they had the lead with 6-0 aginst Ben Mcallisters team Nando, then Nando called in some of the best players in the tournement (not a nice move...) and turned the game to a win with 6-7.

Welcome to tournament lacrosse!

now this maybe is a bit of topic but tournement lacrosse or not, at least you could say that it is a bit unsportsmanlike to call in players during the game. before sure, if you are not enough players no problem.

First of all it was Nick Anderton's team - hence 'Team Nando'
Second, no tournament rules were broken - hence the complaint was not upheld

You make it sound as if he put a shell to his lips and summoned Siebald, Rabil and Mundorf. What actually happened were a few of the players who regularly helped us out arrived after their game had finished. FoC should be grateful that they weren't there from the start or it would have been murder.

For the record, I really enjoyed that game. Thanks for making it competitive. :D
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Fat bastard

Postby Fat bastard Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:38 am

First of all it was Nick Anderton's team - hence 'Team Nando'
Second, no tournament rules were broken - hence the complaint was not upheld

You make it sound as if he put a shell to his lips and summoned Siebald, Rabil and Mundorf. What actually happened were a few of the players who regularly helped us out arrived after their game had finished. FoC should be grateful that they weren't there from the start or it would have been murder.

For the record, I really enjoyed that game. Thanks for making it competitive.

First: to be hounest i don't se the fuzz about this.
I just wrote a comment of FoC and what i think is not ok to do in a tournement.

Second: what rules? There are basicly no rules in that tornement.
Third: I think i counted to 7 borrowed players a little more then a few.
Four:I don't know if you were ironic but i also enjoyed watching the game it was a very entertaining game to watch.
Five: murder i think not! Because nando didn't even borrowed the ball first half of the game but then nando's great tall defencmen don't know his name but he was really pist in half time and after that it was a different defence that started to play, they found out about foc's weak spot and in half time they got some help on attack, by the way who was that defensman?
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:20 pm

The last time we played in the Berlin Open there were rules about who could/ should play. Something along the lines of so-called 'pick-up' players during the course of the tournament. beyond a certain point it's not permitted. How it's policed is anyone's guess. Tournament play nowadays is the same everywhere ... anything goes ... the same applied at the Bath 8's. People playing for more than one team .... players 'drafted in' for a specific game. Seems that it's rife within the game.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
patrick.oleary1

Postby patrick.oleary1 Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 am

Have we got a list of confirmed teams travelling to the European Club Championships?

Blues?
#14 Ireland Lacrosse, Dublin Bay Prawns, ILL Allstars
Fat bastard

Postby Fat bastard Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Hamburg warriors
University of dublin
Farsta lacrosse
Walcountian blues
Fat bastard

Postby Fat bastard Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Hamburg- Dublin 6-3
Farsta-Blues 7-3
Blues-Hamburg 12-2
Dublin-Farsta 2-18

i am not 100% sure about the scores

comments?
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Farsta Cobras (Sweden) were crowned European Club Champions today. When they post the results I'll add them here.

Farsta 16-6 Hamburg
Chairman & LDO, Hull Lacrosse Club
YCLA Committee Member

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hull_lacrosse_club/
Whitey

Postby Whitey Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Well done to Farsta...

I have been called a little grumpy in the past but...
was a tournament without the best UK side and no Czech team worth it?

The champions can call themselves European champs, but they know they'll lose to Stockport, and probably a Czech team!
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:09 pm

If we are looking for the best TEAM in Europe, surely Durham University firsts would be top of the list. But they won't be invited to enter by ELF or ELA.

To Farsta's credit to be crowned the best you must show up to the event. They did and appear to have dominated all but Blues on there way to the title.

EDITED - To add that I have been told that Farsta will host next years European Clubs Championship. Stockholm 2012!
YCLA Committee Member

Fat bastard

Postby Fat bastard Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:00 pm

From what i heard the numbers Farsta beat Blues with could easaly have been bigger so they should probably beat the Czech team. But no i don't think they could win against Stockport at least it should be impossible when you know that they barely have 80-100 players in Sweden. But i do like the Farsta team they play with a lot of heart
But as Gasmanofhull says: you have to be there to get a chance for the title.

how big is the difference between the blues and stockport?
anyone dare to give a qualified guess

Kippis
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:45 pm

gazmanofhull wrote:If we are looking for the best TEAM in Europe, surely Durham University firsts would be top of the list. But they won't be invited to enter by ELF or ELA.

Why would they be?

They're a shark in a goldfish bowl, how often do they actually play against good teams?

There is no metric for comparison with them.
Whitey

Postby Whitey Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:48 pm

A full strength Stockport would beat a full strength Blues team - unfortunately I think everyone will think the same.
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:42 am

I think differently

A full strength Stockport would give blues a bloody good thrashing 20+ goals margin

i think most people would agree with that
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:51 am

Sour37 wrote:
gazmanofhull wrote:If we are looking for the best TEAM in Europe, surely Durham University firsts would be top of the list. But they won't be invited to enter by ELF or ELA.

Why would they be?

They're a shark in a goldfish bowl, how often do they actually play against good teams?

Was kind of half-referencing the point made by UKLaxFan that he made last year. That Durham were the best team he watched all season and that there should be a way of pitching the best Club against the best University if a gap can be found in the schedules. I know Durham are a totally different squad this year, but I doubt there will be any less quality in the first-team. Unless you have seen differently Sour?
YCLA Committee Member

webby

Postby webby Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:50 am

gazmanofhull wrote:
Sour37 wrote:

Why would they be?

Was kind of half-referencing the point made by UKLaxFan that he made last year. That Durham were the best team he watched all season and that there should be a way of pitching the best Club against the best University if a gap can be found in the schedules. I know Durham are a totally different squad this year, but I doubt there will be any less quality in the first-team. Unless you have seen differently Sour?

No Jeremy Sieverts or James Prescott for one. I believe there are also less Americans than last year.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
happylaxer

Postby happylaxer Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 pm

So, a few thoughts about the tournament then:

Firstly, fair play to Farsta who showed up, played the most consistent lacrosse and were deserved winners - they played a physical game and their ball and player movement were what ultimately set them apart. You can question all sorts of stuff about the organisation, the format and the lack of teams but when it comes down to it Farsta won it so congratulations to them.

As for results, I don't recall most of the scores but I believe the Blues-Farsta match was the only game that finished with less than a 7-goal margin. Blues results were a 6-3 loss against Farsta and then (something like) 15-5 and 17-8 wins over Hamburg and Dublin respectively. I'd question the assertion that Farsta could have beaten us by more and would argue that that was the one game that could easily have gone either way but again, that's to take nothing away from Farsta who simply played better in that match.

For the tournament more generally, it was disappointing to have just a round-robin stage with no final of any sort - it meant that ultimately the tournament was decided in the second match and seemed a sad anti-climax (and no, that's not just because we came second...). A lot has already been said about the cost so I won't dwell on that but I was also shocked to see that there wasn't a single representative from the ELF there over the weekend!

As for how to improve things for next year - it's surely got to be a cheaper option with details finalised much earlier to get as many teams there as possible until the tournament becomes fully established as a key part of the calendar.

P.S. Pom, can we go for a 10 goal margin?!
Blues #55
Wales #15
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm

I am not sure that it is helpful to be talking about Stockport here as it devalues the efforts of those who did compete, and as I was backing Blues I would also add my congratulations to Farsta.

I was really disappointed when Stockport were forced to withdraw from this event, not through lack of enthusiasm but simply because of the cost to individual players. The ELF do need to set a firm date for this event as early as possible so the English game can avoid fixture clashes, but as importantly clubs and players get plenty of notice to arrange transport and to save their pennies.

The location of the event is also an issue. Personally if it is hosted in the UK I think it should be held close to London, simply because it is a bigger and cheaper transport hub than Manchester for example. I also think that such an event could be used to promote the sport better in the South than in the North. Of course this would mean Northern teams travelling South of the Peninnes but it has to happen some time!

There was some confusion this year around costs of the event, and Hamburg apparently received some unwarranted criticism. so I would like to thak them for their efforts in staging the event, and hope that the ELF will get their collective act together to ensure its place in the future development of the sport.
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:19 pm

happylaxer wrote:

Yes but only to make you feel better sorry.

and moning git we regualy travel south of the peninnes wilmslow, old stops possibly stockport.

how often do southern teams have to travel north of the peninnes never!!! it is about time they do
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
jsgi

Postby jsgi Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:25 pm

the pom wrote:
happylaxer wrote:

Yes but only to make you feel better sorry.

and moning git we regualy travel south of the peninnes wilmslow, old stops possibly stockport.

how often do southern teams have to travel north of the peninnes never!!! it is about time they do

Blues come to Stockport every year!
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Pom

As usual you appear to be out of kilter with the growth if the sport in the UK.

No one is disputing Stockport are currently stronger than Walcountian Blues. Years back I played on Lee squads that beat Northern clubs in the Iroquois Cup.

Epsom travelled up pre season to play Brooklands and Wilmslow (due to be Wacs but due to an unfortunate death if a player gad to be re-arranged). Blues Tour every Easter. Yes the south can improve thier petformance by taking on stronger competition in the North. Lee did it on a regular basis and therefore competed.

Much importantly it broke down the North/South divide and for me created many friends that I have maintained throughout the years. The barrier between the N/S is not as black and White as you portray it and I think it is unhelpful to both to continue the assumed divide. Dare I say it happens within Manchester - Utd or City or Liverpool - red or blue or Glasgow - green and White or blue. To me it doesn't exist - cone to Bluesfest to experience and I'll buy you a beer to chat over the scenario.

Shame more teams don't take up representation at the European Club Championship. There appears to be several problems and I hope in memory of Ken these can be overcome.

Return to “Tournaments”