All discussion for womens lacrosse in the UK

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Sports on Sky Sports TV Channels

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:12 pm

I've just watched the England Netball team beat Australia LIVE on SKY Sports 3

The Netball was quite entertaining with lots of scoring and speed & agility on show, the athletes tend to be very tall and quick with good skills on show.

Women's Lacrosse at the Top Level is also a very exciting, entertaining sport to watch played by very competitive women who are exceptionally fast and fit, there is a great level of technical skill displayed and well as physical prowess, the most impressive feature of women's lacrosse though is the guile and finesse of attack vs defence where there is a constant battle to create and finish scoring opportunities, is contrast to the men's game it is also a dynamic sport which is played with grace and can be aesthetically pleasing when co-ordinated plays are executed successfully.

So what's the point?

Women's Lacrosse is a more attractive sport to watch than netball and is played by more attractive athletes...

So come on Ladies, get organised and get on TV to showcase your sport and share this well kept secret with the rest of the UK (World)

U19s Lacrosse World Championships 2010 = Zero Coverage (not even webcasts)

Netball
= LIVE on Sky Sports 3 on a Sunday, as well as regular coverage of a National League showcasing their sport.

Lacrosse Girls are better athletes and better looking

They play for 60 minutes and change ends after 30 mins... :twisted:
chippie

Re: Sports on Sky Sports TV Channels

Postby chippie Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:15 pm

you mentioned the issue in your post....

netball has a national league which has 'franchises' which attract sponsorship and a format that sells...!

Hopefully the new competitive structure will lead to that!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Now that I have recently taken over as the Officiating Manager for England Netball (getting paid to do what I love) I can tell you that the sport of Netball is much bigger than lacrosse. That is no disrespect to Lacrosse, but 98% of school age girls play netball at some point in school. Unfortuately the same can't be said for lacrosse. England Netball has 75,000 players that are affilliated with many more playing in leagues that are not affiliated. There are 3500 umpires across the country, as well as someone has already ponted out a Superleague that is on sky sports through the season. I was in Liverpool for the first two days of the games and the buzz in the arena was quite good England Netball has done an amazing job in attracting people back to the game in recent years.

In Australia and New Zealand they put upwards of 10,000 people in an arena to watch their pro league through the season. Many sports are using England Netball as a model to follow. The ELA too has done a lot in the last while to attract people to the game. We just need to develop that critical mass to build on.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
chippie

Postby chippie Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:53 am

dblacklock wrote:Now that I have recently taken over as the Officiating Manager for England Netball (getting paid to do what I love)

seriously?? congrats!!

netball will always have more players....its a easier game to play....and i dont mean that in a negative way to netball, but you just need a ball and goals which makes it more inclusive on the equipment issue. The get back into netball scheme has been successful especially using individuals to push the games in their communities and as you say at some point almost all girls have played netball so they know the basics, its just giving them the opportunities at the times that suit them.

One of the problems lacrosse has is that womens need to be more inclusive, some clubs are so driven on their current team that they forget that within 5 years the current players will age or have other commitments!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:46 pm

agreed, one of the transitions into a women's sport is that you have to factor in that at some point the women umpires are going to have a family which will take them away from the game and there is no guarantee that they will return either. Rarely a problem in Men's lacrosse
Don Blacklock

I'll referee the perfect game

only when you play the perfect game.

Return to “UK Womens”