Junior GIrls Clubs & Junior School Teams

All discussion for womens lacrosse in the UK

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Kari Gosnay-Jones

Junior GIrls Clubs & Junior School Teams

Postby Kari Gosnay-Jones Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 am

I don't have a blog page, but I did want to inform the wider lacrosse community of some of the issues we are facing at Junior Club Level in the North and also wanted to tell you what some of us are trying to do to tackle it.

We have a small club league which runs on a Sunday morning at the U12, U14 and U16 levels. In many clubs the some of the U12s fill in at the U14 level and some of the U14s fill in at the U16 level, so we play U12s and U16s on 1 weekend and U14s on the other, and alternate throughout the season. The league runs from September thru to about March or April so with approximately 8 junior girls clubs in the North West, games against the same teams and the same girls do get a little tirsome, for the players and the coaches and the parents.

In order to tackle this clubs like Wirral and Stockport, organise Junior tours playing school teams in other parts of the country, last year Stockport has a successful tour to the South West playing Godolphin, St Swithuns and Westonbirt. This year Stockport are hopeing to go to the Malvern area and play schools around there hosted by Mr Abini.

This is very often once 1 year maybe twice at the most an takes a lot of organisation and commitment to make it work. Wirral have organised tournaments at their club against Morton Hall and other school teams, again taking a lot of time and organisation from VOLUNTEERS.

So I thought I would see how I could get more games for my junior teams and found out there was a Junior School tournament being held at Casterton school on Jan 31st. It is called the Small Schools Tournaments. With the tournament being virtually on my door step ( well about 1.5 hours away).

I requested to the ELA if I could enter a Junior team. To date I have been told "NO". Stockport LC is not a Small School. The problem is most of my girls DON'T play at school. Just like the majority of the club team players in the whole of the North. Many are involved with Regional and National Centex and are not getting the varied competition that school players are. So how do I get the variety of competition for my junior teams?

To date, I have been told by ELA that in order to get an invitation to this tournament and other school tournaments such NATIONAL SCHOOLS, I need to request a policy change from the WPC, so that is what I am doing.

These have been my actions so far.

1) The spoken to the North WPC rep, (Alison Dunn) and I have her agreement to take this forward to the next meeting.
2) I have requested the protocols from the WPC Secretary and WPC Chair to work out how to request a policy change
3) I have requested from the WPC the Small Schools Tournament Entry Regulations, I presume these must be written down somewhere, for all to see!
4) I have highlighted to the ELA and to the WPC, tournaments organised by WPC where the entry requirements have been altered or exceptions made. i.e. Reserves Territorials, Junior Territorials, Senior Territorials.

I have requested why those decisions have been made, I am guessing this will be in the name of development for those teams allowed to enter i.e. Centex, Home Scot, Junior Wales, Junior Scotland, England World Cup Squad, which is absolutely fine. I would like to see the same courtesy extended to my Junior Club teams in order to enhance their development.

To date I have had no response from the WPC. I will keep you posted when I do.
Kari Gosnay-Jones
Stockport Lacrosse Club

If no one raises issues, if no one asks questions, then no one is accountable and nothing will change.
Kari Gosnay-Jones

Postby Kari Gosnay-Jones Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 pm

Update:

I have had a response from the WPC. They will get back to me with a detailed response within 2 weeks.

I will update this thread with the response.
Kari Gosnay-Jones
Stockport Lacrosse Club

If no one raises issues, if no one asks questions, then no one is accountable and nothing will change.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Kari

Well done on the Junior Girls Lacrosse development

Keep up the good work

Heaton Mersey LC now have a Girls U12s team and are committed to developing girls lacrosse over next 5 years

Good Luck

Return to “UK Womens”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register