Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
chippie

FIL Trial Rules

Postby chippie Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:53 pm

what do you think?

THE FIL RULES COMMITTEE SUBMITS THE FOLLOWING RULES FOR TRIAL
UNTIL DECEMBER 15, 2009

TO START AND RESTART PLAY, RULE 12:
Each half of the game, overtime period and after each goal, the game is started with a Draw except
when a free position or throw at the centre line has been awarded. A maximum of five players from
each team may be between the restraining lines during the Draw; the centers and 4 other players
from each team. All other players must be below either restraining line.
Guidance: When the game re/starts with a free position or a throw at the centre line rather than with a Draw,
players shall take legal positions as they would for the draw and must stand until the whistle sounds.

12.B.2 AND MINOR FOUL PENALTIES RULE 19.B.8.D.2:
If both players draw illegally, or it can not be determined why the draw was illegal, the umpire will call
time-out and a redraw will occur.

OUT OF BOUNDS, RULE 14:
Rule 14.D.1: The opponent nearest the ball will place the ball in her crosse and stand 4m inside the
boundary from the spot where the ball went out of bounds. When the goalkeeper is inside the goal
circle and the nearest player to the ball when it crosses the boundary, she will be awarded possession of
the ball inside the goal circle to restart play.

Rule 14.E: When a shot or deflected shot on goal goes out of bounds, the player nearest to the ball
when it crosses the boundary will place the ball in her crosse and stand 4m inside the boundary line
from the spot where the ball went out of bounds. If two players are equidistant from the ball when it
goes out of bounds, a Throw will be taken to restart play. Play may not resume within 11m from the
center of the goal line or within 4m of the boundary. When the goalkeeper is inside the goal circle and
the nearest player to the ball when it crosses the boundary, she will be awarded possession of the ball
inside the goal circle to restart play. (Rule 14.D)

CHANGE RESTRAINING LINE RULES AND PENALTIES, RULE 18.A.1 & 18.A.2:
1. A team must not have more then seven attack players below the restraining line in their offensive end
of the field.
2. A team must not have more then eight defense below the restraining line in their defensive end of the
field.
<SLG> This proposed change arises every time there is an opportunity to change rules. This change will
be trialed one final time.

RESTRAINING LINE, RULE 18.B:
<SLG> The question posed: Since the offside violation is a minor foul, why should the free position for an offside
by the attack be penalized 27m from goal? As proposed below, the change will make the penalty for attack
offside the same as the defense offside penalty.
18.B. Penalties
1. When the attack is off side:
a. if a Goal is scored, the Goal shall not Count. (Rule 13.C.11)
b. If the ball is within the 15m Fan or anywhere within the goal circle when the violation is
called, the defense shall be awarded a Free Position at the top centre of the 15m Fan.
The defense player nearest to the top center of the 15m Fan shall be awarded the Free
Position.

1) The closest attacker shall move 4m to the side of the player awarded the ball relative
to her field position when play was stopped. The offside attack player or the attack
player nearest to the Restraining Line shall move back onside.
c. If the ball is outside the 15m Fan or below the Goal Line extended when the offside
violation is called, a defense Free Position shall be awarded at the spot of the ball; at least
11m from the centre of the Goal Line and 4m inside the boundary.
1) The closest attack player will move 4m to the side of the player with the ball relative
to her field position when play was stopped. The offside attack player or the attack
player nearest the Restraining Line will move back onside.
d. and play ends with a Minor Foul by the defense, the attack will move back onside and a
Throw will be administered at or near the spot of the ball when play stopped; at least 15m
from the centre of the Goal Line, 4m from the boundary and 4m from the Restraining
Line. (Rule 15.B.7)

MINOR FOULS, RULE 19.A.4:
A player must not touch the ball with her hand or use her hand or body to keep the ball in her crosse. A
Player must not allow any part of her body to deliberately impede, accelerate or change the direction
of the ball. (Rule 17.A.3)
Guidance: “Deliberate” implies intent and intent is determined by a player’s actions on the field.
It is a major foul if the GK blatantly attempts to stop a shot on goal by playing the ball off her body while she is
outside the goal circle. (Rule 20.A.16)

MISCONDUCT, RULE 22.A.4:
A player receiving a yellow card must leave the field for 2-minutes lapsed playing time. A substitute may
not take her place, and her team must play with one less player below/goal side of the Restraining Line for
the duration of the 2-minute suspension penalty.

THE FOLLOWING ARE CLARIFICATIONS ONLY
Rule Uniform and Equipment 6.C:
All visible undergarments worn under the kilts/shorts must be a solid dark color or the same
predominant color as the kilts/shorts.
Add to Uniform and Equipment Rule 6.E:
All players must properly wear a professionally manufactured intra-oral mouth guard that fully covers
the upper jaw teeth. Players may wear eye protection. Players are not permitted to wear headgear or
face masks.
Scorers and Timer Rule 9.B.10.
Immediately notify the nearest umpire when a yellow card is a player’s second, when a green card it a
team’s third and when a yellow card is her team’s third (this third instance may change).
Inform a suspended player and her coach of the time on the clock when the player or a substitute may
re/enter the game. Inform the nearest umpire if a suspended player or her substitute re/enters the game
too soon.

Start of Play Rule 12.A and Minor Fouls Rule 19.A.1
During the draw a player’s top hand may not contact the throat of the crosse, or any part of sidewall or
pocket. (Rule 19.A.1)
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
Sour37

Re: FIL Trial Rules

Postby Sour37 Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:19 pm

chippie wrote:THE FOLLOWING ARE CLARIFICATIONS ONLY
Rule Uniform and Equipment 6.C:
All visible undergarments worn under the kilts/shorts must be a solid dark color or the same
predominant color as the kilts/shorts.
Add to Uniform and Equipment Rule 6.E:
All players must properly wear a professionally manufactured intra-oral mouth guard that fully covers
the upper jaw teeth. Players may wear eye protection. Players are not permitted to wear headgear or
face masks.

Could be an issue for Keepers!
Two Up!
wildcat

Postby wildcat Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 pm

A quick question, chippie, as you are the man in the know.

Does that mean for the first half of BUSA 2009-10, Women's leagues, and territorials, that women's lacrosse will be 7 on 7? And then if the powers that be decide if doesnt work, the second half may revert to 8 on 8?
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 pm

At last the women's game has woken up to the yellow card = penalty, rather than a forced substitution!
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
chippie

Re:

Postby chippie Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:32 pm

wildcat wrote:A quick question, chippie, as you are the man in the know.

Does that mean for the first half of BUSA 2009-10, Women's leagues, and territorials, that women's lacrosse will be 7 on 7? And then if the powers that be decide if doesnt work, the second half may revert to 8 on 8?

i dont know :shock:

i have asked at what level these rules will be trialed at....i think the most realistic would be at uni level as thats prob where the most games/elite players play on a regular basis, theres also the 2 main womens leagues (north/south) but most of the representative lacrosse does not start till reserves which is in dec

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
chippie

Re:

Postby chippie Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:38 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:At last the women's game has woken up to the yellow card = penalty, rather than a forced substitution!

although the rules just seem to be following the US game, i do think most of these changes are good

everyone will agree that 2 min player-down adds more than just having a sub and actually is a punishment...will be interesting to see if there will be yes yellows because people foul less or if umpires will not give yellows as much

im also gonna miss the 4v3 situation that going offside gives but makes sense that the fouls for attack and for defence are the same

and 7v7....more room, bigger slides, will def help teams with good individuals!

UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:04 pm

The yellow card has always been an enigma e.g. it might just allow a team to replace one of their weaker players with one of their stronger ones? Theoretically the rule change should have no bearing at all on whether the umpire shows a yellow card, unless of course the interpretation of what constitutes a yellow card has been changed. Otherwise it just points the finger of suspicion at the umpire as not doing the job properly. While the men's rules are at times difficult to understand and interpret, I would suggest that the overwhelming majority of spectators of the women's game have little idea of the women's rules and how they're interpreted.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com
chippie

Re:

Postby chippie Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:48 pm

wildcat wrote:A quick question, chippie, as you are the man in the know.

i have checked and the answer is YES and NO! they are not compulsary....

and a decision will be made in jan to accept them fully or not but feedback will be asked, if you havent tried them then you cant give feedback!!

this could prove a problem if one team plays with the trial rules and another does not, teams will therefore have to agree at the start of the match

robbo

Postby robbo Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:45 pm

I'll check for you all at what levels these rules will be trialled. Chippie if I'm rubbish and haven't posted in a couple of days could you drop me a text to remind me?!
robbo

Postby robbo Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:01 pm

Right, all of these rules will be trialled in England and Wales with the exception of 7v7. It will stay 8v8. This rule has been trialled a number of times before.

All other rules will be in effect for the WHOLE of the 2009/10 season. After the end of the 2010 season the new rule book will be released.

Feedback on the trial rules will form the basis of discussions about whether we will vote for or against their adoption. Feedback needs to be received by 15 December, so either discuss it on here or PM me with your views.

Hope this helps, and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
robbo

Re: Re:

Postby robbo Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:03 pm

chippie wrote:this could prove a problem if one team plays with the trial rules and another does not, teams will therefore have to agree at the start of the match

All teams will play with the trial rules with the exception of the 7v7. These rules have been implemented at a national level so it's not up to teams whether they adopt them or not!
robbo

Re: Re:

Postby robbo Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 pm

chippie wrote:and 7v7....more room, bigger slides, will def help teams with good individuals!

Well as we're not adopting it, looks like you'll have to go back to the coaching board and come up with some pieces of inspired genius :wink:
PaulM

New rules

Postby PaulM Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 pm

Is there going to be an umpires meeting before the leagues to clarify issues on these new rules?

My concerns relate to the restraining line positions at the draw, and is the keeper still constrained to 10 seconds if receiving the ball for a restart from crossing the back line?
robbo

Re: New rules

Postby robbo Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:54 pm

PaulM wrote:My concerns relate to the restraining line positions at the draw, and is the keeper still constrained to 10 seconds if receiving the ball for a restart from crossing the back line?

Which bit of the draw positioning do you want clarification on? The set up should consist of the two players taking the draw, and four players from each team. All other players must be behind the restrining lines. It does not matter which restraining line they are behind.

And yes, they will still be bound to 10 seconds.
chippie

Postby chippie Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:16 pm

I think the biggest issue is making sure everyone is reading off the same page....

especially at uni level where its usually the qualified students umpiring, how will they all know these rules are being played, even if an email has been sent to all clubs, contacts change each year, and when emails sent to AU's they dont always get to the right people in the teams.

AlexNic

Postby AlexNic Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:18 pm

i think this needs to be confirmed with leagues and if they have committed to trialing them or not.
Check with your league secretary to confirm whether your league is trialing them as requested!!!
chippie

Postby chippie Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:23 pm

AlexNic wrote:i think this needs to be confirmed with leagues and if they have committed to trialing them or not.
Check with your league secretary to confirm whether your league is trialing them as requested!!!

north league?

AlexNic

Postby AlexNic Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:40 pm

I saw an email from Stockport chasing to confirm this today - will keep you posted (and will post on here) when I hear anything.
first game of the season on Saturday - would be nice to hear beforehand...especially when referees in the league are pretty much all volunteers that get enough grief from players (and I am including myself here......) let alone when new rules are in play and there is the potential that not all teams or referees know about them.
AlexNic

Postby AlexNic Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:27 pm

Just confirmed (day before season starts) north league will be playing these rules.
suggest teams and umpires have a chat before games to confirm understanding and umpires perhaps show some leniency to players in the first game of the season.
also, players showing aome leniency to umpires :)
chippie

Re:

Postby chippie Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:40 pm

AlexNic wrote: players showing aome leniency to umpires :)

yeah alex.....

only joking, how did stockport do yest?

Return to “UK Womens”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register