ProLaxShop

Results 07/02/09

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
User avatar
clclaxman
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:58 pm

Results 07/02/09

Postby clclaxman Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:02 pm

London Uni v Croydon postponed due to unplayable pitch

Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(
User avatar
checkley00
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:42 pm
gender: Male

Postby checkley00 Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm

clclaxman wrote:
Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(


Possibly more like this than not!?

Kent V. Northampton postponed. Annoying as that's the home and away game now that's suffered the fate of the weather. Global warming ey... who needs it :D .
User avatar
Raptor_attack
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Re:

Postby Raptor_attack Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:28 pm

checkley00 wrote:
clclaxman wrote:
Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(


Possibly more like this than not!?

Kent V. Northampton postponed. Annoying as that's the home and away game now that's suffered the fate of the weather. Global warming ey... who needs it :D .


Well we do really, then well have warmer drier winters, hotter summers and more games will get played. Lets make it happen...
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
User avatar
Mr.Stanford
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3957
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am
gender: Male
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Raptor_attack wrote:
checkley00 wrote:
clclaxman wrote:
Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(


Possibly more like this than not!?

Kent V. Northampton postponed. Annoying as that's the home and away game now that's suffered the fate of the weather. Global warming ey... who needs it :D .


Well we do really, then well have warmer drier winters, hotter summers and more games will get played. Lets make it happen...


I'm doing my part, i left my tv on!
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
User avatar
Scoops
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:58 am
Location: East Grinstead

Postby Scoops Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:25 pm

I think some clubs need to try a little harder to get matches on really. I understand that your pitch may be unplayable but do clubs look at the options of astros in the local areas? I know it can be a bit pricey on occasion but most people are willing to pay a bit more in match fees just so they get to play. We have only managed to play 3 fixtures between 2 teams on our official home ground this year, instead we have forked out £100 per game for a rubber crumb astro 20 mins from us and have only had to call off one game due to bad prior planning. This is not a dig in the slightest but I do think more effort could be made.
East Grinstead Lacrosse Club
Dave@Reading
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:38 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Re:

Postby Dave@Reading Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Raptor_attack wrote:
checkley00 wrote:
clclaxman wrote:
Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(


Possibly more like this than not!?

Kent V. Northampton postponed. Annoying as that's the home and away game now that's suffered the fate of the weather. Global warming ey... who needs it :D .


Well we do really, then well have warmer drier winters, hotter summers and more games will get played. Lets make it happen...


I may be wrong and not wanting to turn this into a global warming debate but isnt the UK an anomaly where in fact we will get colder more extreme weather from global warming due to the fact that melting ice caps will change the course of the gulf stream which currently keeps us exceptionally warmer then other places on the same latitude. That is to start with anyway. Sorry that is the teacher in me, i havent been able to teach for the last four days, but had to go into school anyway.DOH!
Playing again
User avatar
checkley00
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:42 pm
gender: Male

Postby checkley00 Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Dave@Reading wrote:
Raptor_attack wrote:
checkley00 wrote:
clclaxman wrote:
Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(


Possibly more like this than not!?

Kent V. Northampton postponed. Annoying as that's the home and away game now that's suffered the fate of the weather. Global warming ey... who needs it :D .


Well we do really, then well have warmer drier winters, hotter summers and more games will get played. Lets make it happen...


I may be wrong and not wanting to turn this into a global warming debate but isnt the UK an anomaly where in fact we will get colder more extreme weather from global warming due to the fact that melting ice caps will change the course of the gulf stream which currently keeps us exceptionally warmer then other places on the same latitude. That is to start with anyway. Sorry that is the teacher in me, i havent been able to teach for the last four days, but had to go into school anyway.DOH!


From my brief go at Geography, that was my understanding... but I don't try anymore, for good reason maybe?! Wish there was more lacrosse though.....

Scoops wrote:I think some clubs need to try a little harder to get matches on really. I understand that your pitch may be unplayable but do clubs look at the options of astros in the local areas?


In many instances yes probably could try a little harder. In this instance even astro may not be playable however! More regularly, I know we'd have struggled to get the AU to fork out money for a Saturday games.... we are still trying to get some decent training! The same may be said for other Uni clubs in the leagues, that's where our trouble is this weekend.
User avatar
Paddyp
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:02 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Paddyp Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:37 am

Looking more likely that Quins 'A' v UWIC will be postponed as Quins pitch is unplayable and looked at possiblity of playing at UWIC but our pitch is worse.. fingers crossed still 24hours to find a solution!
Bath City LC #55

ex-UWIC Lacrosse (Captain 2009/10)
ex-Penarth Lacrosse (2009/10)
ex-South England U19s #13
User avatar
Minchroadster
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:50 am
gender: Male
Location: Not of this World that's for sure!
Contact:

Postby Minchroadster Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:31 am

Gloucestershire has had another horrendous night of snow, approx. 12 inches.

We are trying to find alternative, artificial pitches but they are also affected by the snow too. The roads around the County are poor other than the motor-ways and A roads (we've run out of salt/grit to boot) so we need to consider the safety of travelling teams journeying up Glos's country roads. Must be similar for other local teams; Cardiff, Bath, Bristol, etc.

Trying to see if we can re-arrange for Sunday and even travel away, but these local conditions are exceptional, in my opinion. I can see us completing our rearranged fixtures around ........August!

Hey ho I've been having some great 1 on 1 practice against Mr. Snowman in the cage, managed to score 6 out of 10 to date!

Mark

PS Turn that telly off Mr. S!!!!
Ex-Urmston 1st
Ex-Timperely 1st
Ex-Sheffield Steelers 1st
Ex- Cheltenham Cougars lefty attack
England Lions (FIL 2010 ~ World Series, Manchester)
Norbury Lax(NEMLA) Cardiff Quins(SEMLA)
User avatar
Raptor_attack
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Re:

Postby Raptor_attack Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

checkley00 wrote:
Dave@Reading wrote:
Raptor_attack wrote:
checkley00 wrote:
clclaxman wrote:
Suspect this won't be the last fixture to go this way :(


Possibly more like this than not!?

Kent V. Northampton postponed. Annoying as that's the home and away game now that's suffered the fate of the weather. Global warming ey... who needs it :D .


Well we do really, then well have warmer drier winters, hotter summers and more games will get played. Lets make it happen...


I may be wrong and not wanting to turn this into a global warming debate but isnt the UK an anomaly where in fact we will get colder more extreme weather from global warming due to the fact that melting ice caps will change the course of the gulf stream which currently keeps us exceptionally warmer then other places on the same latitude. That is to start with anyway. Sorry that is the teacher in me, i havent been able to teach for the last four days, but had to go into school anyway.DOH!


From my brief go at Geography, that was my understanding... but I don't try anymore, for good reason maybe?! Wish there was more lacrosse though.....

Scoops wrote:I think some clubs need to try a little harder to get matches on really. I understand that your pitch may be unplayable but do clubs look at the options of astros in the local areas?


In many instances yes probably could try a little harder. In this instance even astro may not be playable however! More regularly, I know we'd have struggled to get the AU to fork out money for a Saturday games.... we are still trying to get some decent training! The same may be said for other Uni clubs in the leagues, that's where our trouble is this weekend.


Degree level quaternary Geography - Everyone knows about Ice Ages, and the periods between them called Interglacials, well about 130,000 years ago during the Eemain-Sangamon Interglacial the Earth was around 2 degrees warmer GLOBALLY than todays temperature. Now to put that in perspective, after a volcanic eruption (I forget which) the global temp dropped by half a degree, crops failed, animals died and general all round bad times.

So during this interglacial, most of England was marshy swamp, but it was warm enough for lions to live in present day trafalgar square and for hippos to swim in the Thames. The Golf stream (of thermohaline circulation) is driven by diferences in water temperature and salinity, which has been interupted in the past by huge (I mean glacier sized) flows of fresh water into the sea which interupts the flow of water north. So yes, stopping the Golf stream would cause UK tempertures to drop by a few degrees, but there is evidence from the past to suggest that the UK can become warmer as the Earth heats up.

And All-Weather pitches aren't all they're cracked up to be, our football match was called off last night as the All-weather pitch was frozen thus unsuitable to play on :!: :!: :!: . Trade descriptions act anyone? :lol:
Last edited by Raptor_attack on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
User avatar
Raptor_attack
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Re:

Postby Raptor_attack Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:44 am

Minchroadster wrote:[color=#0000FF][b]Gloucestershire has had another horrendous night of snow, approx. 12 inches.


Those lucky Gloucester ladies, the only 12 inches of anything they'll get... :lol:
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
User avatar
Tom_Southampton
Posts: 1791
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:20 pm
gender: Male

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for the geography lecture, you did however let yourself down somewhat crucially on the spelling of GOLF stream.
Also, if sea levels were 65m higher lions in Trafalgar square is right out. at 14m it looks pretty iffy
http://flood.firetree.net/
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
User avatar
Tom_Southampton
Posts: 1791
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:20 pm
gender: Male

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 am

MArk, can we recruit your snowman goalie? he sounds promising
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008

Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----

South Unis #6 (once)
User avatar
Raptor_attack
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Re:

Postby Raptor_attack Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 am

Tom_Southampton wrote:Thanks for the geography lecture, you did however let yourself down somewhat crucially on the spelling of GOLF stream.
Also, if sea levels were 65m higher lions in Trafalgar square is right out. at 14m it looks pretty iffy
http://flood.firetree.net/


You are indeed correct Tom, I was confusing myself, 65m would be the max sea level rise if all water contained in ice was to melt. Before taking into account Isostatic uplift.
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
User avatar
Chilli
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:50 am
gender: Male
Location: Reading

Postby Chilli Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:22 am

Reading v Purley and Reading 2s v Spencer 2s officially postponed
Toby Gadd
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:29 pm
gender: Male

Postby Toby Gadd Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 am

Heavy snow in Devon means that Exeter vs Warwick is going to have to be postponed too.
Exeter #4 -
Club Captain
User avatar
Raptor_attack
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:27 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Raptor_attack Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Cheltenham's pitch is unplayable, and Southampton City couldn't find a pitch either, postponed to another time.

When do all results need to be played by? Can the deadline be extended to cope with all the postponed fixtures, we're running out of free dates.
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
User avatar
jsgi
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:30 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby jsgi Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:03 pm

Just heard that Spencer vs Blues game is off due to a waterlogged pitch (I guess form melting snow)
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
kjk20
Posts: 723
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:23 am
gender: Male

Postby kjk20 Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Portsmouth v Bath postponed.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
User avatar
Mr.Stanford
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3957
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am
gender: Male
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Hitchin v Hillcrotf Postponed :(
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register