ProLaxShop

Issues with availability of referees

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Tommy_Tank

Issues with availability of referees

Postby Tommy_Tank Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 pm

I'm not an expert on the subject and I appreciate its been going on for a while, but I have been having problems with referees in south. Here's just some thoughts id appreciate feedback on:

- An email went out at start of the year about getting two panel ref's to each game;
- I have had 1 panel ref turn up so far in all fixtures;
- When I email the panel ref email I get no response;
- Our games have been set in stone for many months, surely we don't need to email each week but just be told if no-one is available or has volunteered for our fixture; and
- With a little more information/notice I can organise individuals in my own team in advance but I'm currently nominating players to take on quarters each. This has not been successful in terms of referee quality or player satisfaction but I have been lucky enough to have the squad to spare a few players to CBO/Ref.

Thanks in advance for any responses, nothing is meant in malice I'm just keen to improve the situation.
Tank
Hillcroft #44
Warwick Exiles #1
EX-Warwick Lacrosse #44
Chilli

Re: Issues with availability of referees

Postby Chilli Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

Tommy
The issue of refereeing is an ongoing issue that can only be dealt with over a long timescale and with complete commitment from all SEMLA Clubs.

1. The 2 man refereeing issue is being discussed at the moment and SEMLA is evolving a plan that works in the context of the South and does not currently apply to SEMLA.
2. Several seasons ago SEMLA introduced the requirement for each Club to invest in refereeing and to have one qualified referee per team in SEMLA plus one extra, so a two team Club must have three qualified referees. By October 31 each year each Club must declare the nominated referees whose qualifications are then checked.
3. All Clubs are responsible for providing a suitably qualified referee for their home games whether a Panel referee is allocated or not.
4. A Panel referee in the context of SEMLA is a referee whose ability has been recognised as meeting the standard required and on the agreement of the Officers of the Referees Committee is added to the list of Panel Referees.
5. If a Panel Referee is acting in his role as a Home referee he is not technically a Panel Referee, if he is allocated to a game involving two teams that he is not connected to, then he is officially a Panel Referee, i.e independent or neutral.
6. The SEMLA Referees Committee is discussing a plan to move the refereeing requirements towards a higher standard over a period of time. The plan will be discussed at the General Committee and put to a vote of the Clubs.
If it is adopted then each Club will be responsible for implementing the plan.
7. It would be great if all of this had been dealt with decades ago and we were overrun with former players desperate to give back something to the game. Sadly, however, we aren't so we have to do the best we can with what we have got.
8. The number one reason that former players do not stay in the game as referees after retiring is the abuse that was endemic in the game for too many years. As discussed before, it's not rocket science that when a player sees some poor sod being shouted at and abused by a player that he thinks, 'well that's never going to be me taking all that cr*p' Therefore SEMLA introduced the zero tolerance policy and heavy punishment for any expelled player for abuse, only now after several seasons are we beginning to see an increase in the number of active referees.
It will take many more years before we can ensure that we have enough qualified and experienced referees to provide independent referees to all SEMLA games.
Every SEMLA player has a responsibility to help this to happen.

If you want to know the byelaws that apply to referees, please go to
http://www.southlacrosse.org.uk/regs/byelaws.html
Tommy_Tank

Postby Tommy_Tank Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Comments above duly noted, I will endeavour to make sure we are supplying, training and using our own referees.

How am I notified that I will have a panel ref if I request one? That's the only query you have not covered. We have had a panel ref turn up but only knew about it when he arrived.
Hillcroft #44
Warwick Exiles #1
EX-Warwick Lacrosse #44
Chilli

Postby Chilli Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Simon Peach, as Chairman of the Referees Committee has taken over temporary control of the refereeing allocations while Steve Jarvis is occupied with work issues etc.

With the constraints of Clubs having to provide home referees and so few independent Panel referees, Simon's and Steve's hands are tied but it may be worth asking
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Is there a communication structure in place?

"dear mr (and/or mrs/ms/miss) referee's commitee

Will we be assigned a referee this week or will I need to organise adequate officials from my own club?

Regards,

Mr. Tank"

"dear Mr Tank,

This week SEMLA will be unable to assign a referee"
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
speach

Postby speach Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:07 pm

Just seen the postings.

As it happens, we launched a new database Wednesday evening to manage the assignment of Referees, running on Google Docs. First task was to get all Referees able to access and "Edit" the database and select the game that they can referee.

I'm Chairman of Referees but, as Trevor points out, I'm looking after the Secretary's role, while Steve Jarvis is indisposed and I am handling this personally. So far, so good.

Second task is to give Club Captains the ability to "View" the database, so they can see if they have a Referee. It will also enable them to get hold of the Referee, should the game be cancelled for any reason. I will roll-out the ability to "View" the database early next week and will email you accordingly.

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Simon
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:02 pm

sounds great.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
jsgi

Postby jsgi Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:37 pm

A couple of issues here

We are is desperate need of more true full time panel referees (referees who are happy to go and ref away from their home club.) Currently we have only Simon who is really unaffiliated to any club.

Secondly when I have panel refereed at other clubs I generally referee on my own, as Trevor points out there is an onus on home clubs to provide second referee when a panel ref is allocated, this seldom if ever happens. I feel this is something that really needs to change especially in the Prem. I doubt very much any club has been pulled up on this practice ever!
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
Chilli

Postby Chilli Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:02 am

That's a really good point and it may be part of the referee strategy proposed to the Clubs.
The original idea was that when a Panel ref was reffing he would do so with one of the home refs and help develop skills, understanding and confidence.
The flaw has been that it rarely happens and certainly not often enough.
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:45 am

Jsgi
The number of panel refs who aren't affiliated to a club is at least 100% bigger than you think.
jsgi

Postby jsgi Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:55 pm

James, sorry was unaware of your independence.

Still two is not a big number.
--------------------------------------------------

Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:31 am

It's true that there aren't enough unaffiliated referees. Making qualified players ref an occasional game can only be part of the solution to the shortage of referees, we need a cadre of people who are willing to ref every week. One thing we need to do in order to achieve this is to make refereeing attractive as a way of participating in lacrosse. The truth is that reffing provides the best opportunities for most participants to take part in big events like world and European tournaments, to travel and to develop as a participant. Yet we have no talent identification programme and we charge referees to take the exams to qualify as better referees (if we provide a course at all). In short, we appear to be actively making it difficult for referees to make progress.

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics