ProLaxShop

Referee Evaluation

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
speach

Referee Evaluation

Postby speach Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Lacrosse in the South is growing at a very encouraging rate and it is very important that we continue to encourage and develop Referees. The ELA has developed a Referee Evaluation Process, which got underway in the North before Christmas, and we now want to get it up and running in the South. There has been some debate among Referees, Coaches and Captains as to whether this particular method will be of benefit or not, but the end view is that we will only know by giving it a try. Yes, there will be some teething problems and I will need to address these as we go. Clubs will be emailed regarding this system, but I thought that it was worth putting this posting on LaxForums as well.

A Coach or Captain should use the following link to access the Evaluation Form on the ELA website http://www.englishlacrosse.co.uk/referee-evaluation-forms complete it and submit it. ELA staff collate the information as it comes in and put it onto a spreadsheet. They then send that spreadsheet to Peter Davidson in the North and myself in the South. For the avoidance of doubt, the spreadsheet is only sent to the two of us and is not distributed to Referees. I will monitor the results and look for trends for Southern Referees, feeding back information to Referees in a constructive, sensitive and positive manner where appropriate. I will also provide the SEMLA Committee Meetings with a regular Report. Obviously, this will not contain names, but will focus on the data.

Could I please ask all Captains and Coaches to support this initiative and, if you have any questions or issues, please do not hesitate to email me. Let's give it our best shot and we can look at how the system has worked at the AGM in June.

Many thanks.

Simon Peach
Chairman
Referees South
S_24_LAX

Re: Referee Evaluation

Postby S_24_LAX Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:33 pm

As a referee I always welcome back feed back from players and coaches.
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:36 pm

Oops mobile update not so easy.

I really welcome all feedback on my refereeing and have always found the informal open and frank. Whilst I have disagreed and discussed - never have I fallen out with them.

Great move Simon and I look forward to hearing the feed back.
jsgi

Postby jsgi Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:22 am

Agreed Ian I'm happy be be evaluated in my refereeing and the conversations I have had with blues and opposition captains have been always enlightening useful and acted on.

This kind of feedback is both useful and constructive especially to someone who is looking to improve their skills.

I think a formal mechanism like this is vital for the progression of good referees in the south so do get behind it.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
notlob

Postby notlob Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:23 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments already posted. We often decry 'our friends in the north' for being unwilling to change so we have no reason not to give this trial our full support. The necessary safeguards are in place.

Let's get fully behind this and, before and after every game, positively encourage team captains to take the time to fill in the forms and send them off to Simon.
buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

Good to see fellow referees are onside, now we just need the teams to committ a few minutes each week to complete the forms.
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

RAF Lacrosse (Association Secretary) #17 2005-2020
SEMLA Referee
Welwyn Warriors #whatever's going spare 2011
Newcastle Knights #17 2008-2010, Toon Army #17 Forever

Return to “UK Southern”