ProLaxShop

SEMLA County Tournament POSTPONED

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Chilli

SEMLA County Tournament POSTPONED

Postby Chilli Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 am

Due to a misunderstanding over who was organising the event, we have only received three confirmed entries for the Tournament this Sunday.

Since the event costs a lot of money to run, SEMLA cannot afford to lose money in this way.

Therefore the Executive Committee has decided to postpone the Tournament to another date later in the season

Sorry to those people who have put effort into arranging the teams.
speach

Re: SEMLA County Tournament POSTPONED

Postby speach Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:02 pm

This is very frustrating.

I have two refereeing assessors coming down from the north to assess two referees at the Spencer v East Grinstead game on Saturday and then other referees at the County Tournament. I'm not sure whether coming down to just assess one game is viable.

Can anyone let me know if there are any other games on this Sunday? I'm aware of the Holder Trophy but don't think that would be suitable for assessing.

For example, if anyone that was going to the County Tournament arranges a friendly instead, you've got a crew of keen referees available!

Any input would be most welcome.
GarethBrown

Postby GarethBrown Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 pm

I wish this weren't the case, but you said in a different thread that teams were expected to be organised autonomously and independently, which will just never work as good as it sounds. You need to recruit someone from each region explicitly to coordinate...
samaleyo

Postby samaleyo Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:05 pm

GarethBrown wrote:I wish this weren't the case, but you said in a different thread that teams were expected to be organised autonomously and independently, which will just never work as good as it sounds. You need to recruit someone from each region explicitly to coordinate...

And how do you propose that someone is recruited explicitly? Surely someone would have to volunteer their time from each county? Which is exactly the system that is already in place!
South East Club Development Officer
Ex-Brooklands Hulmeians
Ex-Cambridge University #1
Ex-South Unis #1
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:19 pm

samaleyo wrote:
GarethBrown wrote:I wish this weren't the case, but you said in a different thread that teams were expected to be organised autonomously and independently, which will just never work as good as it sounds. You need to recruit someone from each region explicitly to coordinate...

And how do you propose that someone is recruited explicitly? Surely someone would have to volunteer their time from each county? Which is exactly the system that is already in place!

Exactly. And it's gone really well the last couple of years. Think the date this year just threw everyone and as there are still quite a few games on the Sat not many people can commit to 2 days of lax at the weekend.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
Chilli

Postby Chilli Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Gareth, I think that I wrote in that thread that the intention was to offer more people the chance to get involved at a more local level so that the same old people weren't always expected to do everything.
No fixed rules, do it their way, create their own systems, hopefully form their own County Associations in time.

We can't force anyone to do anything that they don't want to do but if it is made clear that new people are encouraged to step forward then we might increase the number of willing volunteers who may, over time, become more experienced and more regularly involved.

As Paul has said, for the first two years, people put themselves forward and it has all worked well.

Didn't work this year for several reasons.

We can't rely upon the same old workhorses to do all the work, unless we get more people in total. and young people in particular. involved in the running of the game, all the gains of the last ten years will be gradually wasted
GarethBrown

Postby GarethBrown Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Chilli wrote:Gareth, I think that I wrote in that thread that the intention was to offer more people the chance to get involved at a more local level so that the same old people weren't always expected to do everything.
No fixed rules, do it their way, create their own systems, hopefully form their own County Associations in time.

We can't force anyone to do anything that they don't want to do but if it is made clear that new people are encouraged to step forward then we might increase the number of willing volunteers who may, over time, become more experienced and more regularly involved.

As Paul has said, for the first two years, people put themselves forward and it has all worked well.

Didn't work this year for several reasons.

We can't rely upon the same old workhorses to do all the work, unless we get more people in total. and young people in particular. involved in the running of the game, all the gains of the last ten years will be gradually wasted

I don't disagree and would have been up for helping organise myself, circumstances permitting (regularly playing this season would probably be a good starting point...) I just got the impression from your previous post that the date and location had been sent out into the aether expecting a response - apologies if I misunderstood what may have happened behind the scenes...!
Having played in the county tournament for the last two years, I think it's a really good idea and hope it continues to improve.

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register