ProLaxShop

Flags

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
laxplayer

Flags

Postby laxplayer Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 pm

I was just wondering who decides on the flags fixtures? Is this done in front of the Semla committee or not?

Reason why i was wondering this is looking back over the history of the flags.
In the 2007-08 season if Swansea were to win all their games and got to the final they would have had to travelled 3 away games in 4.
In 2008-09 again if Swansea were to have got to the final they would have had to travel 3 away games in 4 and Reading all their group games were due to be away apart from the Final which was held at their ground.
In 2009-10 if Bath were to have got to the final all their 4 games would have had to been played away.
In 2010-11 Cardiff would have had to played away for all their games if they were to get to the final.

Now as the new season is upon us, Cardiff and Bristol are due to play each other in the first round. But the winner of that will have to play the rest of their games away if they can get to the final.

I'm not saying nothing dodgy is going on, but seems a bit of a coincidence.
Chilli

Re: Flags

Postby Chilli Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:46 am

The draw is made by Jon Cooper the SEMLA Fixture Secretary according to the instructions derived from the SEMLA AGM and previous General Committee Meetings
The AGM and GCMs are meetings that are open to all clubs for their input.

Alternative methods have been discussed and proposed by Jon but no Club has ever proposed that any alternative should be used and no one has ever expressed the remotest concern over the absolute impartiality of Jon, who, by the way, is a non-player not connected to any Club.

Apart from the instructions to keep the two previous years Senior Flags Finalists in separate pools for the first round, the entire draw is random.

As you make the point that theoretically clubs would have had to play all their games away, it is an enormous stretch of the imagination to conceive that somehow, someone was able to rig the games and know in advance who would win each game to ensure that the teams you mention would have to do all the driving.

Sometimes life throws up apparently weird things, they are not always the result of deliberate planning.
'predator'

Postby 'predator' Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:44 am

Ha! Writing about coincidences, last year Aberystwyth had to travel coast to coast to Canterbury for a flags minor game (500 miles round trip).
This year our first Flags match is an away game against... Canterbury!

God love sods law!
#86 Aberystwyth University 2009 -
dave28

Postby dave28 Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 am

laxplayer wrote:I'm not saying nothing dodgy is going on, but seems a bit of a coincidence.

A Freudian grammatical slip there perhaps, but yes, it's a coincidence.

And you forgot to mention 2009-10 when Swansea would play all 3 games at home to reach the finals (plus a bye past the Prelim round), or this year when all Bath's games will be at home. Or maybe those don't fit your conspiracy theory?
WhydoIbother

Postby WhydoIbother Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:38 pm

On a vaguely similar note, I've "just" noticed we have to win ALL our flags games to get to the final.... there might be something in this.
laxplayer

Postby laxplayer Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Looks like I struck a slight nerve here!

Chilli - really informative post, thank you for explaining the draw process
Predator - totally respect you and the Aber boys commitment to the sport (2nd round against Welwyn on the cards?!)
Dave28 - very clever but using your complex formula did you notice I was only focusing on Senior fixtures?
WhydoIbother - well why do you bother?

Was just an observation boys. Thankfully I don't play in the West.
steve flint

Postby steve flint Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 am

Last season Hillcroft A played every leg away from home.... still made the final and gave Exeter a fright before finally being beaten.
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again
jsgi

Postby jsgi Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:28 am

Don't feed the trolls. Apparently they go away after a short while.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
WhydoIbother

Postby WhydoIbother Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:29 pm

Sorry lads, it seems my previous post was a little too cryptic for some of you.

There is no conspiracy, there is no conspiracy, there is no conspiracy.
We're all a load of amatures trying to do our best, so are the organisers, refs coaches, etc.
In a 4 round cup, it's quite likely someone's going to play all home, or all away games.
... in the west, this could mean 4 away games in wales, most abandoned
... in the east, 4 games.... some played.
... in the north, 4 games in walking distance.

S##t happens, it's part of the game.
As for "why do I bother", I enjoy playing... maybe, that's why I bother, unfortunately I'm s##t!

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register