ProLaxShop

Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
User avatar
Muz
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Muz Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Cheers Fresher -
EG 32
User avatar
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:57 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby fresher309 Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Muz, dont get me wrong, it wasn't a go at EG, just pointing out the interesting sets of results and decisions which have shaped the prem this year and which could result in fortuitous outcomes for some teams, while being pretty disastrous for a couple of others.
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
User avatar
Tommy_Tank
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:02 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Tommy_Tank Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:30 pm

EG are a good team and have had some good wins and every game between those bottom three have been tight, showing that any one of them could have the strength to stay up. We struggled against them in both games at times.

The 1 point for turning up is there for a reason and Hitchin may lose out because of it.

Penalizing teams for poor conduct is there for a reason and Cardiff may lose out because of it.

Walkovers are a bit of a tougher call.

The team/s who get relegated because they had the least points / 2nd least (and loses the playoff) deserve to be demoted by way of the rules.

Looking forward to the last two games coming up. Both games mean a lot to all involved. Both Hitchin and Cardiff can stop themselves being automatically demoted and Hillcroft are looking to improve again on last seasons results with potential to finish right up the top of the table.
Hillcroft #44
Warwick Exiles #1
EX-Warwick Lacrosse #44
Batswish
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:47 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Batswish Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:42 pm

As has been mentioned in another thread, if Cardiff and Hitchin both lose to Hillcroft, relegation would be decided by the toss of a coin. Quite an amazing situation if it comes about which takes the luck/fairness discussion to a whole new level.
I need a bigger shirt....
User avatar
rr53
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:18 am
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby rr53 Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Batswish wrote:As has been mentioned in another thread, if Cardiff and Hitchin both lose to Hillcroft, relegation would be decided by the toss of a coin. Quite an amazing situation if it comes about which takes the luck/fairness discussion to a whole new level.


Why is that? surely it would be better to have a playoff between the two teams? A cointoss is a bit harsh!
User avatar
weenstar14
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:29 pm

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby weenstar14 Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:51 pm

fresher309 wrote:Tbh EG are lucky that they aren't relegated already, Hitchin would be definitely staying up if they hasn't lost the point for a walkover earlier in the season which I gather was due to food poisoning? As they got the better head to head vs EG.
As for Cardiff, well they'd also be staying up if the hadn't lost the 2 points for the ' complaint' earlier in the season(which I believe still has no procedure for). I still find that a ludicrous decision, and find it pretty odd that the worst team in the prem (by results) has a very good chance of staying up provided both hitchin and cardiff fail to beat hilcroft.


Not to mention EG getting a pre-xmas 10-0 walkover from Hampstead, could be pivotal!!
User avatar
Whitey
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:46 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Whitey Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Whoever goes down it will be a shame. This season has been competitive between most teams.

We've lost to Hitchin twice, but beaten teams above us. We've actually given all the teams a good go, probably with the exception of the Blues. ...and if it wasn't for Birkett on the face I think we'd have given them a decent go as well.

Let's hope next season is just as competitive!
User avatar
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:57 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby fresher309 Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:05 pm

Totally agree with you, however, the walkover against hitchin may have ben a bit harsh as didn't both 1sts and 2nds cancel due to ilness (could be wrong but that's what I thought). May have been better if they had asked for a postponement due to extenuating circumstances.

As for cardiff, I still can't see the rationale of the deduction. Mainly because it hasn't been made public due to it being a complaint and not a disciplinary. Additionally as I have stated previously it is far harsher compared to previous 'disciplinary' procedures, and could result in relegation. To say penalising them for a reason when the process isn't even defined doesn't really seem fair. Imagine if a company you worked for did that.....they'd be opening a whole can if worms.
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88

Bristol Bombers #88

Turkish.....Maybe

Lacrostitute....Definitely
User avatar
KagedAnimal
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby KagedAnimal Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Batswish wrote:As has been mentioned in another thread, if Cardiff and Hitchin both lose to Hillcroft, relegation would be decided by the toss of a coin. Quite an amazing situation if it comes about which takes the luck/fairness discussion to a whole new level.



Also, if both Cardiff and Hitchin win against Hillcroft there will be a 3 way tie for 9th place, and if they both draw there will be a 3 way tie for 10th place. If I am correct in my maths:

Purley = 31 points with no games left.
Cardiff = 28 + (3) = 31 OR 28 + (2) = 30
Hitching = 28 + (3) = 31 OR 28 + (2) = 30

bottom of the league could look like this with wins:

Purley 31
Cardiff 31
Hitchin 31
EG 30

OR like this with draws

Cardiff 30
Hitchin 30
EG 30

What then happens in these scenarios? Still goal average?
Blues #00
South
User avatar
UKLaxfan
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4109
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:36 pm
gender: Male
Location: Heaton Moor, Stockport
Contact:

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 pm

just catching up with South lacrosse

wow! there are a lot of close games and screwy results :shock:

Cardiff drawing with Blues then losing to Hitchin, beating Reading and losing to East Grinstead

Sounds like a great season

How many teams go down?
User avatar
KagedAnimal
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:10 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby KagedAnimal Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

10th place team goes down automatically

9th place teams plays the loser of the East/West playoff game. If they win they stay up, if they lose they go down.
Blues #00
South
Simo69
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Simo69 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:48 am

Interesting re the effect of SEMLA intervention

If the Spencer 2 v Cambridge original result stood (11 v 6) Blues 2 would have won East 1 - updated table below.

Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Goal Diff. Goal Ave. Points
Walcountian Blues 2 14 9 3 2 123 63 60 1.95 35
Cambridge Univ. 14 10 1 3 121 79 42 1.53 35
Spencer 2 12 7 2 3 107 71 36 1.51 28
Brighton Panthers 14 6 2 6 96 97 -1 0.99 28
Croydon 14 5 1 8 93 105 -12 0.89 25
Reading Wildcats 2 13 5 1 7 100 138 -38 0.72 24
Buckhurst Hill 14 4 0 10 68 98 -30 0.69 22
Colchester 13 3 0 10 64 121 -57 0.53 19
User avatar
RobGooch
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:02 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby RobGooch Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:20 pm

While we are slightly off topic, just a thought for next season if EG 'A' get promoted to Div 1 (note Maidstone can still clinch 2nd spot), that would put 5 x 2nd teams in Div 1; namely Blues, Reading, Spencer, Welwyn and EG. This would mean, in theory, an easy ride for the 3 other teams in the division as SEMLA rules state a club cannot have two teams in the Premier Division. So this could mean the team that finishes 6th in Div 1 next season could gain promotion, if (and it's a big if) the 5 x 2nd teams finish in the top five places. Strange, but I think true.

I'm not now going to suggest following NEMLA with a separate league for 1st teams only - well not just. If lacrosse continues to grow in the south then I think that must happen one day. Maybe the crunch point will be if a 6th 2nd team gets into Div 1 for the 2012/13 season - maybe Hillcroft A?
User avatar
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 1069
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:03 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 pm

RobGooch wrote:While we are slightly off topic, just a thought for next season if EG 'A' get promoted to Div 1 (note Maidstone can still clinch 2nd spot), that would put 5 x 2nd teams in Div 1; namely Blues, Reading, Spencer, Welwyn and EG. This would mean, in theory, an easy ride for the 3 other teams in the division as SEMLA rules state a club cannot have two teams in the Premier Division. So this could mean the team that finishes 6th in Div 1 next season could gain promotion, if (and it's a big if) the 5 x 2nd teams finish in the top five places. Strange, but I think true.

I'm not now going to suggest following NEMLA with a separate league for 1st teams only - well not just. If lacrosse continues to grow in the south then I think that must happen one day. Maybe the crunch point will be if a 6th 2nd team gets into Div 1 for the 2012/13 season - maybe Hillcroft A?


I agree in some ways but the "winner" of East 1 would still have to beat the Winner of West 1 for promotion which is mostly 1st teams so if that was a team that could only finish 6th in E1 I couldn't see them getting promoted.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
User avatar
Simmo
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:52 am
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Simmo Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:
RobGooch wrote:While we are slightly off topic, just a thought for next season if EG 'A' get promoted to Div 1 (note Maidstone can still clinch 2nd spot), that would put 5 x 2nd teams in Div 1; namely Blues, Reading, Spencer, Welwyn and EG. This would mean, in theory, an easy ride for the 3 other teams in the division as SEMLA rules state a club cannot have two teams in the Premier Division. So this could mean the team that finishes 6th in Div 1 next season could gain promotion, if (and it's a big if) the 5 x 2nd teams finish in the top five places. Strange, but I think true.

I'm not now going to suggest following NEMLA with a separate league for 1st teams only - well not just. If lacrosse continues to grow in the south then I think that must happen one day. Maybe the crunch point will be if a 6th 2nd team gets into Div 1 for the 2012/13 season - maybe Hillcroft A?


I agree in some ways but the "winner" of East 1 would still have to beat the Winner of West 1 for promotion which is mostly 1st teams so if that was a team that could only finish 6th in E1 I couldn't see them getting promoted.

Also you've got to think that a team that can't finish above 5 Prem division teams' 2nd teams would get battered by their first teams in the Prem, so probably wouldn't welcome promotion
User avatar
Rotisserie
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:14 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Rotisserie Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:37 pm

You're also forgetting about teams demoted from the prem. There's a chance that both EG and Hitchin could go down, in which case you'd put good money on that team winning E1 the following season.
User avatar
Guy_O
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:45 pm
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby Guy_O Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:16 pm

fresher309 wrote:Totally agree with you, however, the walkover against hitchin may have ben a bit harsh as didn't both 1sts and 2nds cancel due to ilness (could be wrong but that's what I thought). May have been better if they had asked for a postponement due to extenuating circumstances.

As for cardiff, I still can't see the rationale of the deduction. Mainly because it hasn't been made public due to it being a complaint and not a disciplinary. Additionally as I have stated previously it is far harsher compared to previous 'disciplinary' procedures, and could result in relegation. To say penalising them for a reason when the process isn't even defined doesn't really seem fair. Imagine if a company you worked for did that.....they'd be opening a whole can if worms.


out of curiosity, did nything happen about the game that was stopped in the second quarter a few weeks back. seems that if cardiff are to be used as the norm then surely that team should get some points taken away?...
Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead

Bristol Bombers #5
User avatar
petegriffin
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:17 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby petegriffin Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Guy_O wrote:out of curiosity, did nything happen about the game that was stopped in the second quarter a few weeks back. seems that if cardiff are to be used as the norm then surely that team should get some points taken away?...


I believe the hearing is yet to take place.
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
https://www.facebook.com/DreadLAX
User avatar
RobGooch
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:02 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby RobGooch Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm

petegriffin wrote:
Guy_O wrote:out of curiosity, did nything happen about the game that was stopped in the second quarter a few weeks back. seems that if cardiff are to be used as the norm then surely that team should get some points taken away?...


I believe the hearing is yet to take place.


Hearing is this week.
User avatar
S_24_LAX
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:59 am
gender: Male

Re: Results - Saturday 19 March 2011

Postby S_24_LAX Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Looking at E2 again.

Who else feels sorry for Northampton Town Weasels - battling to stay in E2 - why cos Hitchin A fielded Wavey against NTW and he won the game for them. Hitchin A got a 2 point dseduction and poor old NTW got nout out of it. They seem to inadvertantly get the tough end of the stick far too often. Especially as they are now a very solid club with good prospects for the future. Good luck against London Univ.

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register