ProLaxShop

Just sharing a great hit.

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
webby

Re: Just sharing a great hit.

Postby webby Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:56 pm

fresher309 wrote:There's no goading from the player, but those nearby to the cameraman certainly are.

Exactly. The video was clearly taken from the bench side as well, so I would imagine the goading/cheering is from the bench/those associated with the Lboro team.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
nabster

Postby nabster Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:28 pm

im gonna say its legall he reached out for the ball and then just dropped his hands to body through and the other guys isnt looking....
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
Central Manchester BNC team
South England Lacrosse
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:44 pm

nabster wrote:im gonna say its legall he reached out for the ball and then just dropped his hands to body through and the other guys isnt looking....
nabster, well done for saying you think it's a legal hit - very candid

a couple of questions:

1) how long have you been playing lacrosse?
2) which clubs have you played for?
3) have you ever been coached?
4) if you have been coached, who were the coaches that you have had contact with?
5) what position do you play?
nabster

Postby nabster Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

just over 2 years
Brighton Blues & South Eng
some guys are Brighton and obvious coached at blues
and play Attack/Middie

it seems all in all a legal hit just got the guy unlucky as he tries to catch the ball, he doesnt really seem to drop his shoulder be it to spear or put his shoulder through him more just runs into him with his hands low but its hard to see for sure with the camera angle
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
South England Lacrosse
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:03 pm

It's a gammer hit.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
kiddo

Postby kiddo Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:15 pm

To be fair it seems like both players are going for the ball....Doesn't seem like it was meant to be a hit....Not saying its not an illegal hit, its very high but seems more accidental that anything....
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:25 pm

thanks for sharing

a hit doesn't have to be malicious to be illegal, it would be impossible to know intent anyway.

the video clearly shows contact to the head with sufficient force to knock the player off his feet and cause injury to his mouth. His head is jerked back from the hit. It doesn't matter if the contact was with his shoulder/stick/hands or head as contact to the head is illegal.

If you have been playing for two years at those clubs and have played games and been coached, I would have hoped that someone would have explained the rules of the game to you or even the spirit of the game.

It wasn't that long ago that players didn't wear helmets, if that was still the case this player would be needing dentures now.

I would suggest perhaps discussing this hit with your coaches at Brighton & Blues and getting their opinion on it.

The Rules of the Game
are available for everyone to read
/mens_rules.php

The Spirit of the Game
is slightly more elusive but there are a couple of starting points
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/landing?blockID=209452

Laxerata:
http://www.e-lacrosse.com/elaxeratasm.html
nabster

Postby nabster Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:48 pm

it could be deemed illegal but so could many checks that are or arent slashes get called all the time all coming down to the ref

you can youtube some big hits in the NCAA this year that are clean as you get but giving illegal due to new safety rules

in this clip the guys helmet is obviously loose as he takes it off without unbuckling so if his mouth is injuryed maybe should have tighten his helmet? there may be some helmet on helmet contact but it doesnt seem intentional, more after the shoulder contact so no spear
there doesn't neccessary have to be a Lot of force to knock him off his feet as he is probably off balance trying to catch the ball in the awkward way he does, twisting his upper body.....just cause someone goes down doesnt mean you hit them hard, just been hit right off balance

im all for spirit of the game that doesnt mean you cant hit people...this hit illegal or legal doesn't really cross the spirit of the game as there is no majoy intent on nailing the guy, they both go for a bouncing ball and then collide......just playing hard?....the Loughborough guy has gone for the ball and then run into this guy trying to catch the bouncing ball across awkwardly,the Lough player seems to be falling down almost as he turned and hits and the other guy jus gets caught under off balance

its more an unlucky hit than anything....but as i say we have all see some calls go either way its all down to how you see the incident
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
South England Lacrosse
hooters86

Postby hooters86 Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:35 pm

It was accidental, they were both going for the ball, but definitely illegal. I dont think I've seen Gilly hit anyone in his life, ha
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 am

We must all remember that the ref in this game didn't have the benefit of watching the contact in slow motion over and over prior to making his call... but having done so myself, I am inclined to agree with Ash, Kiddo and Nabs.

It looks to me like both players were ball-watching, evidenced by their eye lines prior to contact and their both swishing sticks at a chest-high ball. It looked to me like Lugbug's 98 saw the Sheffield 36 at the last possible moment and twisted his entire body and head away to his left in the hope of protecting himself (pause it at the moment of contact and look at 98's body positioning - he's practically foetal) whereas the Sheffield lad focussed on the ball a split second longer and just didn't forsee any contact (he's virtually standing to attention at the point of contact). If either of them had seen the other, and wanted to, they could have lit their opponent up and the recipient of THAT hit would still be on the floor now.

My call? Face-off. Neither team was in possession at the time and I don't ascribe any more fault to one player than the other. Yes it was high, but they BOTH went in high, neither deliberately. The fact that one of them got hurt does not in itself warrant a penalty.

And the sideline... who cares what anyone on the sideline says? I certainly don't, but if the ref felt it was uncalled for he could have thrown an unsportsmanlike conduct flag and lugbug's in-home would have served the time. Job done.

Did anyone notice any excessively long hanging strings?
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
Ash

Postby Ash Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 am

Just to be clear then.....you don't agree with me then!

I think it was toO high and illegal (whether he meant to knock him over or not), and that possession should have been awarded to the offended player.
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 am

Dining Room wrote:It's a gammer hit.

defo gammer

no intention of it being a bad hit probably had his eyes closed.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 am

Ash wrote:Just to be clear then.....you don't agree with me then!

I think it was toO high and illegal (whether he meant to knock him over or not), and that possession should have been awarded to the offended player.

Apologies for my lack of clarity, I meant more specifically that i agreed with your initial assessment of it being accidental. Whilst it was high I suppose I'm saying that I view it as two players inadvertently colliding with each other through inattention, therefore no foul - kind of like a stick check that strikes the lid might be waved off as a brush, rather than a slow whistle or flag down.

hope the Sheffield lad is ok, of course!
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
jivingjohn

Postby jivingjohn Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Any thoughts on whether a gum shield would have saved his tooth in this situation?

I've chipped a couple of teeth in my time from being taken out and my bottom and top teeth colliding. Makes me think of wearing a gum shield, but I've never actually gone and done it.

I looked at the video and agree that the sidelines were out of order and Loughborough in-home should have served for that.

As far as the actual hit/collision/take-out goes, I wouldn't like to comment. Shame they didn't edit it up to show Tom Slade's decision on the matter, it would most likely have put more sense to the events to have known the outcome of what happened.

All the best to the Sheffield guy.
nabster

Postby nabster Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:24 pm

jivingjohn wrote:Any thoughts on whether a gum shield would have saved his tooth in this situation?

I've chipped a couple of teeth in my time from being taken out and my bottom and top teeth colliding. Makes me think of wearing a gum shield, but I've never actually gone and done it.

ive chewed on my tongue a couple of times wore a mouth guard for a bit but you get hit so rarely its more annoying
Cheadle 2012-?
Blues #45 2010-12
South England Lacrosse
james_512

Postby james_512 Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:40 pm

I wore a mouth guard for a while after losing a tooth in a football match, but found it annoying and it is currently lying in my drawer somewhere.

I think I would rather wear a gum shield in football (I don't though) than in Lacrosse as you are more likely to get kicked going for a header, elbowed in the face or just from normal contact.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 pm

This video does nobody any credit

player who stands over the injured man as though he meant to injure him - poor
idiot on sideline/bench celebrating an injury of an opponent
Sheff Univ players - who see a team mate down but not one of them, shows concern for injured man down eg "are you alright?"
various wind up merchants on Forum playing devil's advocate or worse, simply not knowing rules of the game we play.

"Just sharing a great hit" - doesn't really cover it

"showing a guy have a tooth knocked out by accidental head-to-head contact while others around him celebrate" - more accurate but not as catchy :?
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:56 pm

As for what happened, I also see it as being accidental rather than malicious. Now that's certainly no excuse for what follows, and I agree that the conduct of the man who stands over him then walks off is pretty poor. The bench reaction is inexcusable. Nobody else seems terribly bothered.

Equally, an accidental foul is still a foul. I cannot agree that it's like a check hitting the head being called a brush because there the issue is force not intent. If you accidentally hit somebody hard in the head with your stick it's a slash and you'll serve time. More time for deliberate, maybe, but accident is no defence.

Now it looks to me as though the injured player was standing up looking for the ball and the incoming man was running in looking for the ball. To that extent you could say that the injured man is illegally checked by the other. If that weren't the view taken, and it were thought that each ran into the other and their head collided, then I can see a faceoff call potentially. The fact that you win the impact doesn't mean you committed a foul and the other guy didn't, I would have thought. Perhaps both serve time for spearing each other?

In this instance, my view is that the player who stands over the injured one is guilty of an illegal body check. Easy to say with replays, of course...
Chichester Crusaders Coach.
Portsmouth Uni #66 - once upon a time.
Southampton Sabres #66 - a long time ago.
Army #7 - Tri-Services 2009

Coming soon to a sideline near you, complete with camera.
Mitchlax

Postby Mitchlax Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 am

Definite accident. No malice in the hit. A freak incident.

Someone made a comment about the lose helmet. The helmet actually broke.
S_24_LAX

Postby S_24_LAX Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Right place right time - right place wrong time. Just one of thoise things but definitely not a great hit.

Watch war on the floor for big hits

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics