ProLaxShop

SEMLA Flags Finals 2011

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
JamesA

Re: SEMLA Flags Finals 2011

Postby JamesA Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:58 pm

do-do wrote:I'm quite surpised at Hillcroft A getting to the final, but then after looking at there fixtures i can understand as on all flags game they played there 1st team didn't have a game. I'm not saying they have cheated or anything, it's just strange how there have beaten teams such as London Uni (2nd in east 2) and Birmingham Bulls (3rd in west 2, but played less and score a shed load of goals).

It doesn't really matter that we didn't have games on those days, as all the firsts played in the first round of the flags against Reading, after that all of those players are cup tied and so cannot play for another team. There's a lot of pride (rightfully so) in that team and they would be the first to say they don't need anyone from the firsts to 'up their game' so to speak. (biased as I am) they have played fantastically this season, proving themselves worthy of being up there with the likes of London Uni and Birmingham.

And yep as Paul said, we only got enough players for an A team this year so it is their first year (not officially, there was a Hillcroft A back in the 80/90s), and as such had to enter into East 3. A lot of the guys in the A team are quality players who have been playing high standard lacrosse for a while, so I am personally not surprised to see them in the final in the slightest. I would say they deserve compliments not accusations...
Warwick #21
Hillcroft #8
kjk2085

Postby kjk2085 Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 pm

do-do wrote:I'm quite surpised at Hillcroft A getting to the final, but then after looking at there fixtures i can understand as on all flags game they played there 1st team didn't have a game. I'm not saying they have cheated or anything, it's just strange how there have beaten teams such as London Uni (2nd in east 2) and Birmingham Bulls (3rd in west 2, but played less and score a shed load of goals).

Funny that... Must be a wide-ranging conspiracy...

We've only got 4 players that have moved between the two squads and two of them being defensemen (not too likely to be racking up the goals) this claim doesn't make sense.

Maybe one could bear in mind that all the players in the A team have been competing in the Premiership up until this season, so you'd expect us to be handing out a few spankings. Premiership team we aren't but we surely aren't a 4th division team either...

Regards,
El Capitan

p.s. - I like that motto "so good that they must be cheating" !
Last edited by kjk2085 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petegriffin

Postby petegriffin Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 pm

This has to be fishing right?

I'll leave the defence of my team to finals day but as an aside if you're not saying we're cheating what exactly are you saying?
Pete

Hillcroft A
DreadLAX
https://www.facebook.com/DreadLAX
PlunketyPlunk

Postby PlunketyPlunk Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:33 pm

You're easily surprised, aren't you do-do.
Hillcroft 11
steve flint

Postby steve flint Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 pm

As the old bloke who stands between the pipes, I can catagorocally state I almost laughed myself into another stroke when I read this sour grapes from the aptly named contributor.
It should be pointed out that Hillcroft "A" is a newly ressurected team, after many years of being a one team club. Huge kudos should go to the younger element of the club who recruited tirelessly over the last 2-3 seasons. As a result we now have 2 strong teams where both have performed excellently this season. Of the 16 players in the "A" team squad, 9 were playing premiership last season, or have premiership experience, I myself was playing in East 1 with Croydon after a year out.
As a long time player, I wouldnt allow myself to be party to any kind of team loading as to be frank and not being rude to our fellow East 3 compatriates weve had an easy season, and the flags have been an excellent challenge for the team to show them what theyll be facing week in week out next season.
Anyone who doubts my word is welcome to discuss it with me in the bar at Reading after the final, and after theyve bought me enough beers so I can actually be bothered to enter into a totally pointless discussion with them.
And if Mr (or Miss) Do-Do was actually being serious which I doubt... I hope this puts the record straight
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again
jsgi

Postby jsgi Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 am

Nice bit of fishing for your first post...hooked about half the Hillcroft A team. Still you are an idiot!

Good luck to Ken et al in the final.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
Pete_Brum

Postby Pete_Brum Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:50 am

Just to back up the torrent of replies to that comment, having played in the birmingham bulls - hillcroft A game, Hillcroft A were a very good team who are simply in east 3 because they have just entered this year, same as bulls and exeter, im sure they would have a very good shout in winning east 1, let alone east 2.
There was certainly no stacking of the team as they dont need to and i doubt strongly hillcroft would do that anyway.

Iv heard they have had a very good intake for their first team from ex-warwick uni players and therefore have had the luxury of forming a strong second team from the older first team prem players. Which we realised last saturday in the form of a very experienced goalie!
subs'R'due

Postby subs'R'due Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 am

kjk2085 wrote:
Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:
jsgi wrote:
manc_lad wrote:Is Mr Rogers going to ref the final??

:wink:

I would hope that all the referees would not be associated with the teams involved in the finals.

Although for the Senior final it does rule out, Rob Collinge, Henry Collinge, Dan Wright, Amit Biswas, Tom Slade, Steve Jarvis and Trevor Rogers (and probably Ian Ballantine who is still a blues VP).

Simon Peach and John Harrop then??

Ray Nash!

Hazel and Debz :wink:
Hitchin #23
Herts Hooters #23
laxambition

Postby laxambition Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:40 am

Miles Whittle, Andrew 'Bikkies' Dillon, Mark Pinnick, David Williams, Rob Curtis, James Kellam, Mike Laleune

(notwithstanding some of those that already notified me as being unavailable)

Plus any NEMLA refs who want to make the trip down

So we'll be ok even without the Reading and Blues refs
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Reading Wildcats Lacrosse Club, SEMLA or, indeed, anybody else......but that doesn't mean that it's not what they're all thinking!
Ash

Postby Ash Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 am

Is dan wright associated with blues nowadays then? I thought Spencer was his club? Has he moved?
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
laxambition

Postby laxambition Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 am

Ash wrote:Is dan wright associated with blues nowadays then? I thought Spencer was his club? Has he moved?

yes, he's gone to Blues in a major off-season transfer under the Bosman ruling. He now also occasionally plays for their 3rd team as well as reffing (not at the same time, of course)
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Reading Wildcats Lacrosse Club, SEMLA or, indeed, anybody else......but that doesn't mean that it's not what they're all thinking!
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm

laxambition wrote:
Ash wrote:Is dan wright associated with blues nowadays then? I thought Spencer was his club? Has he moved?

yes, he's gone to Blues in a major off-season transfer under the Bosman ruling. He now also occasionally plays for their 3rd team as well as reffing (not at the same time, of course)

I think "play" may be a strong word. Standing around on the field making up the numbers may be a better way of putting it.
Mind you, that could also describe my reffing....
Blind Zebra

Postby Blind Zebra Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:48 am

"I think "play" may be a strong word. Standing around on the field making up the numbers may be a better way of putting it.
Mind you, that could also describe my reffing...."

A gazelle compared to Wiggy, especially his refing!

BeZee.
In glorious Black & White at a pitch near you.
Tommy88

Postby Tommy88 Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:33 pm

steve flint wrote:

As the old bloke who stands between the pipes, I can catagorocally state I almost laughed myself into another stroke when I read this sour grapes from the aptly named contributor.
It should be pointed out that Hillcroft "A" is a newly ressurected team, after many years of being a one team club. Huge kudos should go to the younger element of the club who recruited tirelessly over the last 2-3 seasons. As a result we now have 2 strong teams where both have performed excellently this season. Of the 16 players in the "A" team squad, 9 were playing premiership last season, or have premiership experience, I myself was playing in East 1 with Croydon after a year out.
As a long time player, I wouldnt allow myself to be party to any kind of team loading as to be frank and not being rude to our fellow East 3 compatriates weve had an easy season, and the flags have been an excellent challenge for the team to show them what theyll be facing week in week out next season.
Anyone who doubts my word is welcome to discuss it with me in the bar at Reading after the final, and after theyve bought me enough beers so I can actually be bothered to enter into a totally pointless discussion with them.
And if Mr (or Miss) Do-Do was actually being serious which I doubt... I hope this puts the record straight

I have to say I was surprised by the result in the semi's, didn't know too much about Hillcroft A though and after looking at their scores all season it makes perfect sense, but I know how good Bull's are so its proof Hillcroft A must be a very good team, no doubt heading to East 1 in a few seasons. Hillcroft as a club are impressive indeed, good to see they are growing. Can't wait for the final! Will be a great match.
Boardman & Eccles - Junior
Exeter No.70 2007-2011
Boardman & Eccles 2011-
stemcdlax23

Postby stemcdlax23 Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:58 pm

subs'R'due wrote:
kjk2085 wrote:
Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:
jsgi wrote:
manc_lad wrote:Is Mr Rogers going to ref the final??

:wink:

I would hope that all the referees would not be associated with the teams involved in the finals.

Although for the Senior final it does rule out, Rob Collinge, Henry Collinge, Dan Wright, Amit Biswas, Tom Slade, Steve Jarvis and Trevor Rogers (and probably Ian Ballantine who is still a blues VP).

Simon Peach and John Harrop then??

Ray Nash!

Hazel and Debz :wink:

News just in - I've just heard that Andy Gray and Richard Key's have been approached to do a spot of commentating for Setanta on the event!! Hahaha
'This is the whit...........'

Northern Monkey
Chilli

Postby Chilli Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:35 pm

The confirmed schedule for Flags Day is;

10am Start of Junior boys' tournament at u12, u14 and u16

10.30am Start of junior girls' games, Reading, Henley and Reigate

Minor Plate - Welwyn 2 v Maidstone (11am)

Intermediate Plate - Reading 2 v Colchester (11am) Game conceded by Colchester, Reading win the trophy

Minor Flags - Exeter v Hillcroft 'A' (1pm)

Intermediate Flags - Portsmouth v Bristol Bombers (1pm)

Senior Flags - Reading v Walcountian Blues (3pm)

5pm Presentation of all medals and trophies by Alex Beckey, Director of Sport at Reading School

There will be two stands selling lax kit, Zenith and Northern Soul and a raffle for lax goodies.
Guy_O

Postby Guy_O Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:55 pm

Chilli wrote:The confirmed schedule for Flags Day is;

10am Start of Junior boys' tournament at u12, u14 and u16

10.30am Start of junior girls' games, Reading, Henley and Reigate

Minor Plate - Welwyn 2 v Maidstone (11am)

Intermediate Plate - Reading 2 v Colchester (11am) Game conceded by Colchester, Reading win the trophy

Minor Flags - Exeter v Hillcroft 'A' (1pm)

Intermediate Flags - Portsmouth v Bristol Bombers (1pm)

Senior Flags - Reading v Walcountian Blues (3pm)

5pm Presentation of all medals and trophies by Alex Beckey, Director of Sport at Reading School

There will be two stands selling lax kit, Zenith and Northern Soul and a raffle for lax goodies.

it it just me that thinks this it a bit odd??? I was really looking forward to watching the exeter Vs Hillcroft game or at least some of it. Any chance of Reading have conceded that they can play at 11 so people dont have to chooses between finals?

surely it makes more sense to have the minor plate and final at the same time then the intermediate plate and final at the same time.. otherwise it kind of splits the crowd....
Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead

Bristol Bombers #5
Ash

Postby Ash Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:00 pm

not really a lot of organisation goes in to the timings! Its only a shame that colchester have cancelled otherwise there would have been a choice there too! Don't think exeter would thank you either for the two hours earlier departure ahead of a big match with the longest journey to make
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
Chilli

Postby Chilli Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:03 pm

The logic is simply the seniority of the competitions.
This year is the first time we have had the Plate competitions which are not as 'senior' as the Intermediate and Minor Flags which in turn obviously have to be over before the main event, the Senior Flags.
The unfortunate fact that Colchester's players from the Uni of Essex are on tour in Salou means that they are unable to field a team and have conceded the game.

Teams who play in the SEMLA leagues but choose to go on Uni tour cannot expect the date of the Flag Finals to be changed. There are several choices of tours and dates and SEMLA's calendar of events is announced in July each year.

Unfortunately no account can be taken of which other games people who are playing in finals would like to watch. :D
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:11 pm

How will the day go without Grindle for the first time in 3 years! :lol: :P :D

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register