ProLaxShop

What is the point of Lax forums?

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Guy_O

What is the point of Lax forums?

Postby Guy_O Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:04 pm

having been reading posts and topics of late I thought I would ask the question above.

I thought the point of them was to improve lax relations and compare notes on different topics to help develop lacrosse? (as well as well timed banter)

With predictions I would have thought that if you are going to make them then surely you would always predict that your own team would win. Although it might be a long shot you have to have some belief if you are ever going to overturn a team that is favorite to beat you?

Although it is a little mundane (and a touch sad) to keep reading posts about lax being crap in the uk it also raises the question as to why you bother playing the sport in the uk. If you dont think it is good enough or have such little respect in developing lacrosse that you slate the developing players then leave. If not then why not offer some advice as to how to improve the game as I am sure some of the things you assume in differnet countries may not have even been though of in some developing lacrosse teams.

It is just my opinion but most of the forum posts seem to be by prem teams trying to get one over on each other and also slating the lower teams/leagues. Doesnt this raise and answer the question as to why more players are not involved on the forum?

I guess what I am saying is that I am sure there is so much experience and skill in southern UK lacrosse that rather then slating do you not think it would be more beneficial to have open topics about best styles of defense/offence/formation. That way inexperienced players and teams can come on the forum and ask questions that they may not have the experience in their own team to have thus developing lax.

both myself and many others in Bristol are working really hard to try and develop lacrosse at both uni, club and youngster levels, as I know many others teams are, and would really benefit from the forums being a little more open and helpful. I for one know my coaching would really benefit from hearing peoples views on zone Vs Man on Man defense, different defense against different attack formations, the benefits of different man up formations.

I know there are these sections on the forums but they are not really used.

this is in no way a rant just food for thought and if anyone fancies putting up any knowledge of the topics above that would be great to see different opinions.
Trample The Weak, Hurdle The Dead

Bristol Bombers #5
UKLaxfan

Re: What is the point of Lax forums?

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Guy_O wrote:both myself and many others in Bristol are working really hard to try and develop lacrosse at both uni, club and youngster levels, as I know many others teams are, and would really benefit from the forums being a little more open and helpful. I for one know my coaching would really benefit from hearing peoples views on zone Vs Man on Man defense, different defense against different attack formations, the benefits of different man up formations.

There should be a Section For Coaches (I've requested this a number of times)
- How to run a practice
- How to develop Team Offense & Team Defense
- Individual Skills and drills to improve them
- Strategic Options and when to use them

Guy_O wrote:I know there are these sections on the forums but they are not really used.

Player Tips Section is used but it is reactive
- so if you have specific questions regarding the game or development... Ask them in that section

As for Banter, some is funny and tongue in cheek and some isn't and says more about the person posting than the subject :evil:
the pom

Postby the pom Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:17 pm

UK lax fan has never had a sense of humor: lol: (Probably not well timed banter).
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Guy_O wrote:With predictions I would have thought that if you are going to make them then surely you would always predict that your own team would win. Although it might be a long shot you have to have some belief if you are ever going to overturn a team that is favorite to beat you?

Most people I find generally make no prediction on their own games

Guy_O wrote:It is just my opinion but most of the forum posts seem to be by prem teams trying to get one over on each other and also slating the lower teams/leagues. Doesnt this raise and answer the question as to why more players are not involved on the forum?

I guess what I am saying is that I am sure there is so much experience and skill in southern UK lacrosse that rather then slating do you not think it would be more beneficial to have open topics about best styles of defense/offence/formation. That way inexperienced players and teams can come on the forum and ask questions that they may not have the experience in their own team to have thus developing lax.

both myself and many others in Bristol are working really hard to try and develop lacrosse at both uni, club and youngster levels, as I know many others teams are, and would really benefit from the forums being a little more open and helpful. I for one know my coaching would really benefit from hearing peoples views on zone Vs Man on Man defense, different defense against different attack formations, the benefits of different man up formations.

I know there are these sections on the forums but they are not really used.

I'm not sure I agree with you on prem teams dominating forums, and the views - plenty of the prem teams have few if any posters on here regularly, and more posters from large clubs like blues, welwyn etc... is only to be expected as there is considerably more players at those clubs than others.

As you've said those sections aren't much used at the moment, but have you tried posting your questions in there yourself? You may well find that you'll get plenty of good insightful replies. In fact I'd go so far as to predict an almost identical response to this thread before my post - a detailed answer from UKLaxfan you'll have to re-read a number of times to take in all that he has said, and a sarcastic comment from the pom

Also one part you seem to have missed on the point of forums, is that I think it has increased the communication within the sport massively, as with a single post, you've a good chance of reaching the majority of clubs
ahhh ... the whit
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:48 pm

I would also like to add my own two pence in addition to the points made previously

The forum has helped to further an already close knit community, to some extent the forum has enhanced or furthered inter club discussion and relations to the point where individuals now contact each other directly (outside of the forum).

This may make the forum appear less useful, but inevitably its use will continue to enable contact for those coming through the ranks over the years to come, both in terms of juniors, new players and University teams.
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
Tommy_Tank

Postby Tommy_Tank Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 pm

I dont have a clue how i would...

read results 30mins after my saturday game,
organise events,
get in touch with the lacrosse community (for many reasons),
sell my spares to newbies,
complement other teams,
banter with more distant teams,
look up old topics (I imagine every play/piece of kit/change to the sport/any other point would ahve been laboured in the past),
talk about / plan tours,
find out about tournaments,
whore myself out at those tournaments,
meet girls,

...without laxforums.

well... maybe not the last one
Hillcroft #44
Warwick Exiles #1
EX-Warwick Lacrosse #44
LAXLoofer

Postby LAXLoofer Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 am

...whore myself out at those tournaments,
meet girls,

...without laxforums.

well... maybe not the last one

Turn up to Sunday matches ==> meet gurlz <lulz> not only that... but girls that LAX so you already have something in common :)
Born-again stickbrain(tm) :lol:
Colchester LC #69
Guy_O

Postby Guy_O Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks Guys

Loads of stuff I hadnt thought about there, and many of it taken for granted.

especially seeing results, contacting the Lax community etc.

Finally who do we speak to about having a coaching section as i think it would be really useful....

good luck in your games tomorrow.

Bristol Bombers #5
manc_lad

Postby manc_lad Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Guy,

Surely laxforums will reflect the people who are members. Having played before laxforums, I can say the community is much better now with it.

Regarding predictions, I'm pretty sure there are no rule books and people can predict what they like. Although predicting your own result could be a little pointless and stating the obvious unless you have something to say about it, who cares?

Re: lacrosse being crap in the UK
It's the same as saying football (soccer) in the US is rubbish. This takes the mental capacity of a 4yr old.

Now slating developing players is a d**k move, plain and simple. Some leagues are not as good as others, UK, US, North, South, you don't have to be Einstein to figure that out. It still takes nothing away from the people who love the sport and turn up every saturday and give it 100%.

I would actually say that the majority of the people on laxforums are not from Prem clubs, I agree with the above that most are form big clubs and lower leagues.

There is a load of experience on here. There are players who have played for their country and others that have 30 years playing experience (not naming any names). These players are not going to go out of their way to write up about tactics as most have day jobs. It's up to the players who want the advice to engage them as I know they're more than happy to help! If you want to find someone, just leave an open topic for some help or look at people's profiles and send them a PM.

Just my 1p worth.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 pm

spreading rules knowledge and interpertations of actual game situations. Looking at ways we can improve the way we referee.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Guy_O wrote:It is just my opinion but most of the forum posts seem to be by prem teams trying to get one over on each other and also slating the lower teams/leagues.

I'm intrigued to to find out which materials lead you to such an opinion? Now I'm sure you didn't make this sweeping statement based on one thread where one player (we shall call him 'le duche' to protect his identity) made a derogatory post... where the majority of replies came from lower league players...

no

you have read the whole forum and weighed up the evidence and decided that most of the posts are prem teams slagging each other off and talking down the lower leagues.

Guy_O wrote:I guess what I am saying is that I am sure there is so much experience and skill in southern UK lacrosse that rather then slating do you not think it would be more beneficial to have open topics about best styles of defense/offence/formation. That way inexperienced players and teams can come on the forum and ask questions that they may not have the experience in their own team to have thus developing lax.

Have you even searched the Attack, Deffence, Midfield and goalie tips forums in the COACHING section?

A quick scan and these are just some of the topics...

'Getting into the blue' goalie coaching/training sheet
Online FREE Goalie Clinics
Face off against a faster opponent
New/Different Team Handling Drills
Face-Off Lessons
Speed Training for Lacrosse
Pressure Defence
Overview - Team Defence
Defensive Footwork?
Slide packages
motion offence
Change of Direction (CoD) Dodge
Training Canadian Way

If you have questions, ask them in the forums, or shock/horror.... search for stuff.

Guy_O wrote:I for one know my coaching would really benefit from hearing peoples views on zone Vs Man on Man defense, different defense against different attack formations, the benefits of different man up formations.

They are there you have to look out side the southern forum and beyond the first page in the relevant coaching forums.

Guy_O wrote:I know there are these sections on the forums but they are not really used.

Not used?

Have you asked a question in there?

No?

So your upset because no one has answered the questions you haven't asked... or worse yet... looked for!

Be proactive, contribute to the community by asking the questions which will result in the pooling of knowledge.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
VGrimes

Postby VGrimes Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:
Guy_O wrote:

So your upset because no one has answered the questions you haven't asked... or worse yet... looked for!

Be proactive, contribute to the community by asking the questions which will result in the pooling of knowledge.

Nerve struck...
ArchLevel Lacrosse
South England Universities Head Coach
Cambridge University Head Coach
Green Jello Ninja

Suffer for it.
Guy_O

Postby Guy_O Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:48 pm

ok lets slow this a little..

I am not saying I dont LOVE lax forums. I really enjoy reading most of the posts that people put. the predictions, the advice that people do give and also the fact that you can contact many different people in the lacrosse community to ask advice. There are also many other things that lax forums gives that I had not considered and have been really happy to accept that I have overlooked some really useful tools that it offers.

I also was not in anyway saying that there was no point in Lax forums as this thread seems to have rumbled down that track.

Although I realise that the title can be read in many different ways, I was simply asking the question. As in, "in your view what do you think the point of lax forums is" so I can better understand the workings of it as I am relatively new to the site and wanted to know if I was missing some useful tips.

I was also just commenting that as a new user some of the banter on here can make it seem that to post something may result on you being attacked which then makes it harder for new users to get involved.

All in all for the first part of the thread I had some useful info, was pointed in the right direction and aided in a really helpful way.

However it seems that by asking a question and being pointed in the right direction by some helpful users it has now digressed. I asked a simple question and voiced opinions as a new user trying to get in touch with the lax community and ask for help?

Also have you not read the additional post stating that I had overlooked certain aspects and that I am now using the info available? As for the slagging of players and leagues, I am very happy to accept that it was comment that was based on recent posts and had I looked further back I might have seen that it is not all on that wavelength, I was wrong, and I apologise for any offense. However,do you think your tone and remarks are that of a moderator?
Having said that your info is really useful and I do appreciate the help so thank you. I will also post topics and ask for help from now on.

Thanks to all

Guy

Bristol Bombers #5
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 am

Guy_O wrote:I was also just commenting that as a new user some of the banter on here can make it seem that to post something may result on you being attacked which then makes it harder for new users to get involved.

Guy

I suspect that this is true of all forums, most of the ones I've ever joined have had a hard core of in jokes and banter.
Laxforums in general is quite good (i've found) at being nice to people who are new and genuinely ask questions.
If you're being a tool however then you'll get the piss taken quite rapidly
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
steve flint

Postby steve flint Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:20 pm

As someone who is really really really old (almost as old as mr Ballantine) I think maybe a little time comparison is in order. When I was a mere youth and the microchip was just a vague idea in a boffins mind and the transistor was still a gimmick, the only north/south communication or inter team communication was via lacrosse news which was haphazardly printed, the annual trip to Lilleshall, the few tounament like the semla sixes, or Ted Donnett. Most clubs were very insular, and did their own thing, and very little passed between clubs apart from via those who turned out for the south of England or the few who were lucky enough to see lax played to a higher standard elsewhere. Now we have the Global community, ideas pass very quickly and best practice is taken up almost immediately. Interclub communication is the norm whether it be important information or just banter and can only be a good thing.
Being someone whos played for a few years and watched the game progress , I can only make comparisons with the way technology has progressed. Since the microchip became as much a household item as the toaster, things have moved incredibly fast. And now im in my prime (cough) I look on with a small amount of jealousy alongside an enormous amount of pride with the way the game has evolved and grown over the last 10 years or so. As a teenager the only chance you had of playing abroad was if you played for England or if you were very rich. but with the global brotherhood of lacrosse, English teams playing in foreign tournaments is the norm, and before global communication became as it is, these countries often didnt play the game, let alone host good quality lacrosse tournies.
In conclusion I feel message boards like laxforums have done a huge amount of good for the game, and made me laugh on many occasions. Its something I look at a few times a week to find out other results, match reports, game info, and feel it has played its part in the growth and improvement of lacrosse not only in the south but countrywide.
Long may it continue
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 am

What is the point of Lax Forums? The Monday Morning Moan. Bring it back!

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics