ProLaxShop

Prediction 09/10 Season: Prem

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Mr.Stanford

Prediction 09/10 Season: Prem

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:03 pm

The line up:
Hampstead
Spencer
Welwyn
Reading
Hitchin
Walcountian Blues
Purley
East Grinstead
Hillcroft
Bath City

Just over 2 months away from the start of the new season.
The rumour mill has been busy with snipets of information and hear say.

Spencer loosing their 1st string attack

Blues recruting players across the field

Hitchin see the return of a male LDO

Reading have another goalie as LDO, but i hear rumors of a migrating Face off man

Anything else to add?

How do you all see the next season developing?
Who is going to win?
Who is going down?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Ash

Postby Ash Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 pm

I reckon blues may well take it this season. Hanpstead and spencer following up. Relegation battle wil be interesting this year though.
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Rumour mill suggests that Dustin Coombs of Spencer and Eamon Poller of London Uni have/are joining Blues and possibly Dave Howie of Reading. All players which will add to what was a talented team last year.

After Hampstead pulled it out of the bag in the second half of the season I don't think they should ever be written off and neither should Spencer.

Hoping for a close season with anyone able to beat anyone like last year. I think Bath will prove a lot stronger prospect than Swansea were and that Hillcroft will have improved a lot.

Could be a very interesting season
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
Simmo

Postby Simmo Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Hampstead are always strong and I suspect will be the team to beat again this year.

Blues will be a real prospect this year with the addition of Judas Coombs and their attack will be difficult to stop with realistic goal threats from all three - think they are still susceptible at the back however.

Don't write off Spencer however. Some returning faces and a new LDO to add to an all new attack line-up
kiddo

Postby kiddo Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Blues have also recruited Ollie from Croydon at the defensive end which is also huge, aswell as the other new members!
Lewis

Postby Lewis Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Blues will win it this year.

Amazing attack lined up, aswell as an amazing midfield and defence. Looking VERY strong.
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
Simmo

Re:

Postby Simmo Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:33 am

kiddo wrote:Blues have also recruited Ollie from Croydon at the defensive end which is also huge, aswell as the other new members!

Nice to see you are poaching players from other teams too! :wink:
jsgi

Postby jsgi Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:59 am

Blues confidance pre season is high due to all the new recruits, with the latest crop of juniors heading to uni after this season there is a sense of "must win something".

However I do see a number of teams who will cause problems to everyone during the season. Welwyn and Hampstead won't be any weaker. Spencer although losing their attack still have enough good players to beat anyone. Reading will always be tough to beat with an LDO keeper, EG will always play well to their strengths as demonstrated by their bluesfest and 6-a-side performances. Hitchin are well hitchin and were a major force when they had a good keeper.

Anyway predictions...

Blues
Hampstead
Welwyn
Spencer
Hitchin
EG
Reading
Purley
Bath
Hilcroft

But it will be as close as last year with most teams able to pull out wins against everyone else.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Re:

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:16 am

jsgi wrote:Reading will always be tough to beat with an LDO keeper.

While it does seem a bit early to rise to the bait we have had both good and bad ldo keepers over the years :D More importantly we scored 100 more goals last season than the one before that. Really looking forward to the start of the season. Still far too long to wait.

And regarding Blues I think they had a very strong team last season but didn't manage to challenge for the title. Will be interesting to see if the new signings will galvanise them enough to get over that hump.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
kiddo

Re: Re:

Postby kiddo Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:57 am

Simmo wrote:
kiddo wrote:Blues have also recruited Ollie from Croydon at the defensive end which is also huge, aswell as the other new members!

They know wheres it's at, thats all :wink:
Lewis

Postby Lewis Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:05 pm

Simmo wrote:

It's not like we force players to come. We just have the likes of Bagley and his persuasive powers, you don't want to be on the wrong side of Bagley :lol:
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
jsgi

Postby jsgi Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:
jsgi wrote:Reading will always be tough to beat with an LDO keeper.

While it does seem a bit early to rise to the bait we have had both good and bad ldo keepers over the years :D More importantly we scored 100 more goals last season than the one before that. Really looking forward to the start of the season. Still far too long to wait.

And regarding Blues I think they had a very strong team last season but didn't manage to challenge for the title. Will be interesting to see if the new signings will galvanise them enough to get over that hump.

;-) I was complementing Reading on the quality of their defence...I made no comment about the attack however if you have lost David Howie you may struggle to score those again this year he was a big cog in your midfield and attack. As an aside I had not heard that he was heading blues direction...great news if he is!

Blues #19

jsgi

Postby jsgi Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Lewis wrote:
Simmo wrote:

It's not like we force players to come. We just have the likes of Bagley and his persuasive powers, you don't want to be on the wrong side of Bagley :lol:

The wrong side of Bagley...what he may hug you too hard?

Blues #19

Sam H

Postby Sam H Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:40 pm

The nearest thing UK Lacrosse has to Tigger
Paddyp

Postby Paddyp Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:02 pm

1. Blues
2. Spencer
3. Welwyn
4. Hampstead
5. hitchin
6. Reading
7. East Grinstead
8. Purley
9. Bath City
10.Hillcroft
Bath City LC #55

ex-UWIC Lacrosse (Captain 2009/10)
ex-Penarth Lacrosse (2009/10)
ex-South England U19s #13
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Can't see anyone beating Hampstead.

Looking forward to playing Blues this year, if their younger players keep it up they won't need Dustin et al.

Welwyn were a peculiar proposition last year, I think that Kyle has organised them very effectively. Think they will do the same again this year.

I hope Spencer continue to do the same as last year, they were a whole lot more incisive at the beginning of the season, hopefully they can regain their form.

Hitchin, get the same team turn up every week and they'd be at the top.

Purley will take a few of the better teams this year but I think they'll be in and out of contention.

Reading looked so much better last year than the previous year, if they can keep building on that then they would be a good each way bet.

East Grinstead have been training and playing throughout the summer so I'm hoping for better things from us this year.

Bath is miles away isn't it! Never seen or heard much about them, will be a good trip.

Hillcroft have some good players in all positions, some very handy poles, have they recruited yet more players into their rather large squad?
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Blues have done well with recruiting, however on paper i'm not sure they look a great deal better than Spencer did last season.

If Hampstead play like they did in the second half of last season I can't really bet against them

Spencer have taken quite the offensive hit, it will be interesting where their goals come from this season. There was mention earlier of a new attack linup, however i feel they'll be hard pressed to equal last years trio.

Reading had one if its better seasons along with 2 of the best (reading based) LDO’s I can remember. With the loss of Dave gifting them a lot of FO possession and some big LDO boots to fill I don’t think this will be their season.

Welwyn played the best game plan lacrosse I’ve seen in the South last season. Protecting their weaknesses and amplifying their strengths. With their performance in defence centred around 2 outstanding poles (kyle + LDO) and their offence centred around Taylor(?)(LDO) with the 2 long poles playing a lot of 6-6 and man-up offence. The rest of the guy’s filling in and playing to the plan. If they have equally strong LDO’s this year expect a similar performance.

EG are solid consistent side, likely to pull out their annual upset against Blues. Their new goalie was impressive at the 6’s. I still think they need a couple more impact players (like Ryan) before they start making a push.

Purley really suffered this season with injuries and retirement from the game. They looked much better in the second half of the season with 1 or 2 returning players as well as an additional LDO in the area. Hopefully some of the young uni players will offer them some options.

Hillcroft looked like they were starting to come together more as a unit towards the end of last season. I think currently they would need to recruit a couple of players to make an impact this season, however the future looks good.

Hitchin see the return of the male LDO which should help increase their firepower. A lot of new players last season making a return and the D is looking to be solid from the offset. The potential to have an inconsistent unit of players is still there, but we shall see.

Bath… I have no idea.

Hampstead
Blues
Welwyn
Hitchin
Spencer
Purley
Reading
EG
Hillcroft
Bath
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
OWULax17

Re:

Postby OWULax17 Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:EG are solid consistent side, likely to pull out their annual upset against Blues.

Check the history books, Rhodri! EG played a fantastic game against the Blues last season and edged us by a goal in the 2nd game, but it was their first victory against our First Team in the Premiership... ever! I would hardly call that "annual"! :)

Without a doubt it will be a battle again this year between older and younger brother, and if they beat us again - then you're warranted in making the "annual" comment - but not before then! :)

The Tigger of lacrosse... I like that! :)
Muz

Postby Muz Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:30 pm

When we stop picking up injuries for fun (Justin caught a hamstring prob on Sat and Neil got a fractured finger) then I reckon we should be able to push a lot of teams close. Rhod right that we lack a couple of impact/LDO style players but we'll just have to keep focusing on the team-based stuff (Not that flashy but we love it!) Reckon Blues will be very hard to beat this year (But we will defo try) and we came very close against Purley / Hampstead & Reading and did do the double over Welwyn in the league last year.
EG 32
Paddyp

Postby Paddyp Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:28 am

Im looking forward to seeing how Bath do this season in the Prem again, dont believe they'll contest for top places but i dont think they'll finish bottom.. got alot of experienced Prem players still at the club, handy players from Bath Uni and looking forward to seeing how young Mike Carey does against the Prem d poles.. good thing that'll help his game this year is the new LDO being a Lefty Attacker.. think Bath could give a couple of teams a run for their money this year.. they'll just have to travel well...
Bath City LC #55

ex-UWIC Lacrosse (Captain 2009/10)
ex-Penarth Lacrosse (2009/10)
ex-South England U19s #13

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register