ProLaxShop

Prediction 09/10 Season: East 1

Play in the Southern Divisons? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
KagedAnimal

Postby KagedAnimal Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:13 am

With the Blues 1st team gaining so many players several players with Prem experience will have to be bumped down. This means an already strong Blues 2's will be even stronger. This is enough to bump them above Croydon for the top spot.

Croydon, despite losing Ollie Barrett, still has an attack with the best stick skills in the league and young, fast middies to feed the rock to. Croydon's goal-keeper is off to Uni this year, but that wont hurt them. Their keeper didnt face many shots anyway, and as long as Croydon keeps their ball possesion/face off game going, there is no reason to think that their replacement keeper will either.

Cambridge will be strong and always contend for the top. No reason to think that they wont continue to be. Undoubtedly they'll easily pick up players if they lost any.

Brighton, I can't really say. I can understand their confidence, but really, without Eddens and Keeley, I can't think of many other prolific goal-scorers who can initially fill that gap. But Brighton was the most improved club in the league (from start to end of the year) so if they continue to progress they will be a tough team to beat. I also think they have 2 solid keepers who should continue to improve and hopefully balance out the loss of Blackwell.

London Uni, regardless of who is in goal, will basically dominate the first half of the year and will hold on for the second half. They've already got four NCAA Div 3 players signed up and guaranteed to play in the first half. They've still got Sean Dolan, an ex Div 1 player who will be able to play more consistently all of next year as well. And if this isnt enough to make Cambridge want to back out of the first half match as usual, London Uni usually picks up between 6-7 more Americans at freshers fairs who are studying for either half or all of the academic year and dont know that the Uni has a lax team. London does have a core group who has been working hard to improve the British core of the team. This should help them survive the 2nd half departure of the American talent, and if they keep working hard, a few upsets in the 2nd half could be in the cards. It'll still be hard for them to compete with top 3 or 4 clubs, however.

Reading will finish lower mid-table but I think will have a hard time dealing with the jump up in skill level they'll face from Croydon, Brighton, EG 2nds, Cambridge, and the Blues.

EG "A" - while they are a well-drilled, close-knit team, their first time cannibalizes their natural goal-scorers and leaves them underpowered on offense. I cant see this improving in the future. They'll be strong on the defensive side of the ball as usual and will have good goal-tending regardless of whether Dan or Andy is their backstop. But until they can find their offensive spark they wont be able to compete with the more dynamic clubs.

Here's my final table prediciton:

Blues
Croydon
Cambridge
Brighton
London
Reading
EG"A"
Buckhurst HIll
East Coast
Hitchin "A"

Spencer 2nds will almost undoubtedly be promoted since there were only 1 goal away from promotion this year.
Kyri

Postby Kyri Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 pm

[quote="KagedAnimal] Here's my final table prediciton:

Blues
Croydon
Cambridge
Brighton
London
Reading
EG"A"
Buckhurst HIll
East Coast
Hitchin "A"

Spencer 2nds will almost undoubtedly be promoted since there were only 1 goal away from promotion this year.[/quote]

Hitchin A had a very bad season last year due to gaining roughly 7 new players that hadnt played at mens level before.Through becoming acustomed to the way the game is played at this elvel and development/training with the Hitchin first team, a vast improvement has been made since last year which will be seen this 2009/2010 season.

Im not predicting that they will finish high up in the league, but last season the points difference was very close
East Coast 27
Buckhurst Hill 22
Hitchin A 21

With those 3 teams being relatively close while Hitchin were at that standard.... this is my table prediction for 2009/2010 season.

Blues
Croydon
Cambridge Uni
London Uni
Brighton Uni

EG
Hitchin
Reading
East Coast
Buckhurst hill

Both the top half and bottom half of division 1 will be extremely competitive with not much seperating the teams each section.

The relagation and promotion battle will be interesting aswell.
eww

Postby eww Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:02 pm

I only watched Croydon like once but to me it seemed like Ollie Barrett was really quite important in the Croydon team in defense and when he played short stick. With him now at the Blues i think that Croydon will really miss him especially if they keep not getting many players to games as people have said. Croydon to not be as big a threat this season.
Ewan Willsmer
Stokoe89

Postby Stokoe89 Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:26 pm

This is a difficult start to the season for Brighton but I reckon that with entering a team into BUCS to train people up faster and give them more experience, a stronger team will develop! We have lost a few players, obviously a sore point however we do have players in development that will suprise a bit! Just looking forward to getting out there and denying some more shots but i think BLUES will have it purely for the fact that their 1's arevery strong this year some players with exp will get dropped down to bolster an already strong TOOZ! If cambridge can hold up they're a very difficult team to play as are Croydon so it will be interesting to see how things pan out.......I'm a little excited haha
Brighton Keeps #89

Pigeon Killer Salou '09

"My Goal Is To Deny Yours"

Likes to use a rage cage as a duvet at Bluesfest
Jon_B

Postby Jon_B Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:29 am

ohhh.. rumours and scandal. transfurs etc. wont bother with league predcitions as nobody really cares but looking forward to playing an improved / strengthend Blues squad and our 4-1 meeting last season was probably most competative & enjoyable game. look forward to that 'clash'. Sure Brighton will still put forward a competitive and good spirited squad even if lacking in firepower, wouldnt rule out Reading 2's. rememeber their first season in East 2's where even with a school aged squad they proved well drilled and efficent, with endless pace. and rumor has it they signed lee donaldson (Ex northampton) in the cage, possibly one of the stupidest yet braviest goalies in the East leagues.
Croydon Lacrosse Club
http://www.croydonlacrosse.com
Lewis

Postby Lewis Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:00 pm

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but i doubt Reading 2's "shool-aged" players will pose much ofa threat, i've played them many times at U17 level and they didn't pose a threat then, let a lone in mens.

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
nima

Re:

Postby nima Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:47 pm

Lewis wrote:I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but i doubt Reading 2's "shool-aged" players will pose much ofa threat, i've played them many times at U17 level and they didn't pose a threat then, let a lone in mens.

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

I think you have to appreciate that in juniors, all those u17s/u18s that play mens were playing with people who had no or little game experience, meaning that they had to, sometimes single handedly, carry the ball from defense to offense and then try and make something out of it.

There is a lot of difference between having very limited options and having to carry the ball all the way to crease and score, and being able to cut in from the top, catch a well executed pass and finish it. That's not even considering the lessened pressure, the fact they will have people coaching them on the pitch and the knowledge that the defence won't slide earlier to them.

I know my opinion is biased, but I beleive a team with stronger and more experienced players people like Dom, Rich & Sheeb definitely pose more of a threat.
Exeter Uni - #1
Two Canoe - #1
dom#10

Re: Re:

Postby dom#10 Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 am

nima wrote:
Lewis wrote:I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but i doubt Reading 2's "shool-aged" players will pose much ofa threat, i've played them many times at U17 level and they didn't pose a threat then, let a lone in mens.

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

I think you have to appreciate that in juniors, all those u17s/u18s that play mens were playing with people who had no or little game experience, meaning that they had to, sometimes single handedly, carry the ball from defense to offense and then try and make something out of it.

There is a lot of difference between having very limited options and having to carry the ball all the way to crease and score, and being able to cut in from the top, catch a well executed pass and finish it. That's not even considering the lessened pressure, the fact they will have people coaching them on the pitch and the knowledge that the defence won't slide earlier to them.

I know my opinion is biased, but I beleive a team with stronger and more experienced players people like Dom, Rich & Sheeb definitely pose more of a threat.

you beat me to it nima!
the reading team that you see playing in junior tournaments is a few 2nd team players and LOTS of beginners. although in the mens 2nd team there are a number of school aged players, there are also many more experienced players, so the idea that a reading juniors team is the same as a reading 2nd team is totally wrong.
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
Jon_B

Re:

Postby Jon_B Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 pm

Lewis wrote:I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but i doubt Reading 2's "shool-aged" players will pose much ofa threat

I didnt say they would...

... I actually said that: in their first season (07/08?) the Reading Team was young and seemed to be lacking experienced players; an understandable situation for a new & developing team.
So... under the assumption that (above) squad still represent the core of the team, I would imagen the team has now developed under the tutilate of the Reading coaches, into a strong unit - proof of this being their vastly improved results, and ultimate success, in East 2 league last year.
The success may be the result of strong players being brought in, I dont know, I'm not a Reading player.
All I was saying.. is that their innital 2nd team showed alot of promise and seemed capible (on understanding of the game and ball movement) to hold their own at an East 1 level. A similar situation, I feel, with Hitchin A; once the squad from last season gains more experience and confidence on the field they'll be a very strong East 1 side. However, as we all know players leave, squads change frequently and clubs do the best they can with what they have.
Croydon Lacrosse Club
http://www.croydonlacrosse.com
Lewis

Postby Lewis Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:45 am

Chill.
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
steve flint

Postby steve flint Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:38 pm

After playing them last season, Croydon would be a worthy addition to the premiership. But it will depend on them turning out a settled team week in week out. University teams can never be discounted even though personnel changes from year to year can heavily effect them. As for the Blues, they have a big squad and a good mix of youth and experience, but my money is on Croydon coming up this season
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again
Mr.Stanford

Re:

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:27 pm

steve flint wrote: but my money is on Croydon coming up this season

Think they'll take the west this season?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:
steve flint wrote: but my money is on Croydon coming up this season

Think they'll take the west this season?

Nah, Bristol will be too strong for them! ;)
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
aDz0082

Re:

Postby aDz0082 Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.

you dont think they might have got better since you last saw them? and you dont think that the older more experienced guys will help the team be stronger? you've never posed any attacker a threat. in juniors or mens :)

and you do sound like an idiot.
eww

Postby eww Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:33 pm

aDz0082 wrote:

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.

you dont think they might have got better since you last saw them? and you dont think that the older more experienced guys will help the team be stronger? you've never posed any attacker a threat. in juniors or mens :)

I hope you weren't being serious with those comments. Just because they've improved a bit, doesn't mean everyone that they will play against won't have improved just as much. Chill out.
Ewan Willsmer
kiddo

Postby kiddo Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:25 pm

aDz0082 wrote:

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.
you've never posed any attacker a threat. in juniors or mens :)

Good one he plays defence...
Lewis

Postby Lewis Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:31 pm

aDz0082 wrote:

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.

Urm...firstly, who are you?

"you dont think they might have got better since you last saw them? and dont think that the older more experienced guys will help the team be stronger?" - No, not really.

"you've never posed any attacker a threat. in juniors or mens :)" - You're stupid, either the worst first post i've seen or you're a coward who has made a new account to try and be clever, you're not.

I don't even know you, and i'm sure hardly anyone else here does either.

You're a cool guy for trying to insult someone over the internet! Keep it up :)
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
aDz0082

Postby aDz0082 Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 am

Lewis wrote:
aDz0082 wrote:

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.

"you dont think they might have got better since you last saw them? and dont think that the older more experienced guys will help the team be stronger?" - No, not really.

"you've never posed any attacker a threat. in juniors or mens :)" - You're stupid, either the worst first post i've seen or you're a coward who has made a new account to try and be clever, you're not.

Big LOL - look at you lot mincing about cos one of your boys got a little mouthy on the forums and someone slapped him down.

Ewan - course im serious. little lewis takes a direct swipe at Reading kids and thinks thats ok

James - learn to read. well aware little lewis pretends to be a defender.

Peace out kids! big kisses
kiddo

Postby kiddo Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:46 pm

aDz0082 wrote:
Lewis wrote:
aDz0082 wrote:

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.

Big LOL - look at you lot mincing about cos one of your boys got a little mouthy on the forums and someone slapped him down.

Ewan - course im serious. little lewis takes a direct swipe at Reading kids and thinks thats ok

Misread yes my bad lol.
eww

Postby eww Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:04 pm

aDz0082 wrote:
Lewis wrote:
aDz0082 wrote:

No disrespect intended.

Lewis.

muppet.

I wouldn't really say we were mincing about. And i would argue that you "slapped him down" seemed to be quite even really.
Ewan Willsmer

Return to “UK Southern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register