All discussion about US college leagues in here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Shamel Bratton Dismissed from Virginia Team

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/04/ ... rosse-team

Shamel Bratton #1 All Time leading Midfield point scorer has been dismissed by Coach Starsia from VIrginia Lacrosse team and will play no further part in the 2011 season.

I think this is a good decision as lacrosse is a TEAM sport and some players think they are bigger than the team, Coach Starsia has made a decision and it will be interesting to see if the team responds positively

thoughts?

there is a story about Rhamel Bratton being suspended for Saturday as well
http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2011/04/ ... -suspended

Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cav ... _blog.html
davewilliams

Re: Shamel Bratton Dismissed from Virginia Team

Postby davewilliams Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Hate to say I told you so..

" UVA vs Cornell
Post » Sat May 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Maybe discipline is UVA's Achilles' heel. Minds turned to mush. Virginia coach losing it and his kids' heads down with 20 minutes left..
Visible break-up of the UVA morale and teamwork. Rebuild has got to happen this summer... My bookie is offering decent odds on Brats switching to gridiron tomorrow.
"

The football coach might be a bit wary now.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Look on the bright side, and I'm sure most of the UVA players are; other players will be able to impose themselves on the game now. Steele Stanwick from X has the ability to pick apart a defense in a very old-fashioned way, and Chris Bocklet is a classic crease finisher. Maybe this signals a change of method all through the top of NCAA; away from the clear-out and top-stick drive to goal, and return to fundamentals of team lacrosse with snappy passing and close-in shooting.

edit -- UVA beat Pennsylvania 11-2 this afternoon to claim home advantage for the play-offs. Steele Stanwick was left unmarked at X for some of the game and assisted for 5 goals.
Stats http://www.virginiasports.com/fls/17800 ... 302011.htm
Hickey7

Postby Hickey7 Fri May 06, 2011 12:18 am

What did Shamel actually do? I've watched the videos on inside lacrosse etc and read articles just seems to say he "broke team rules" or some crap like that. But everyone on the forums are calling him arrogant, hot headed etc.

Seems passionate if u ask me, though he wasn't on top form, Doubtful for Rammels game time till end of season.
Canterbury Christ Church University#73 2008-2011
Southampton Sabres Captain #73 - 2011 - ??
South England

Team Chris Griffiths
'Lacrosse is a very fashionable game, all colours must match and be Pink'.
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Sat May 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Hickey, there's nothing specific mentioned in any reports, but there are hints at being unwilling to accept team rules. There's probably a connection to last year's issues in the Coach insisting on exemplary behaviour now.
The reports also state that a meeting/discussion/vote of the players was the deciding factor in Shamel's removal from the team. The Coach and University have distanced themselves from any litigation (they hope).
Imagine if you could be removed from CCC's lacrosse club for wanting to have a couple of beers after a game? Just demonstrates the culture difference between NCAA Div 1 and BUCs/SEMLA E3.
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Sun May 22, 2011 1:15 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:Shamel Bratton #1 All Time leading Midfield point scorer has been dismissed by Coach Starsia from VIrginia Lacrosse team and will play no further part in the 2011 season.
I think this is a good decision as lacrosse is a TEAM sport and some players think they are bigger than the team, Coach Starsia has made a decision and it will be interesting to see if the team responds positively

thoughts?

After closing down Rob Pannell yesterday, and all that has gone before, the Coach is a living legend.
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Sun May 29, 2011 12:49 am

What happens if UVa win on Monday? I assume Shamel doesn't get a ring or get acknowledged as a national champion? What about Rhamel, who remains suspended?

Just realised that the iPhone autocorrects Shamel to Shameless!
Doink

Postby Doink Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 pm

After watching the games over the weekend I would have to say that the removal of the Brats definitely made Virginia a better team, Although I think they need to keep Colin Briggs if the Brats are gone for good. (any reasons for his suspension on saturday?)
Without any of the three they would not pose much of a threat from the midfield.

Comparing how they played this weekend with earlier in the season is like chalk & cheese and I found the new style much more enjoyable to watch! Real lacrosse rather than one huge threat that does not posses any real lacrosse skills! (controversial but true!)

The rejuvenated Virginia along with Maryland (Maryland especially) played some great lacrosse this year and hopefully this will see other teams move away from the huge/fast dodger who just drives the alley and shoots!

I was routing for Maryland throughout because in the games I watched through the season they played the most exciting lacrosse and it was a breath of fresh air seeing all the work that had put into working off ball (screens & picks) to get open, Although I was happy for Virginia after a terrible few years.

Yes I would hae liked a few more goals in all the games but at least there is hope that real lacrosse is making a comeback!!
http://www.stalefish.uk.com/.
Custom Lacrosse Sportswear.
20% Off Everything "SAVELAX20" at Checkout.
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:35 pm

DanSawyer wrote:What happens if UVa win on Monday? I assume Shamel doesn't get a ring or get acknowledged as a national champion? What about Rhamel, who remains suspended?

Just realised that the iPhone autocorrects Shamel to Shameless!

Both Brattons ended up being dismissed from the team, Rhamel's release was announced during the week before Final Four.

On other forums there are rumours that both were seen tailgating at the Quarter Finals and that neither will be leaving Virginia with a Degree!

IF TRUE, that would be a shame as they would have wasted a great opportunity for a free education as well as a Championship Ring
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:59 pm

So no ring for either?
I see they've also decided to skip MLL despite being drafted. How long before nobody will have them?

I just want to see their next IL interview!

Return to “US College”