All discussion about US college leagues in here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Canadian Players in NCAA

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:02 am

http://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.ngin.com ... -_2009.pdf

Interesting article on the rise in number and performance of Canadian players in NCAA.

It breaks down the players geographically, by position, by class year and by NCAA Div I, II or III.

It also looks at the factors leading to increased participation in NCAA by Canadian players.

the biggest factors seem to be

1) socio-economic strength or community
2) strength of lacrosse community
3) having an agent to promote and procure access and exposure to NCAA schools.

The Hill Academy in Ontario ran by Brodie Merrill

The development of travel teams competing against the best of US programs

Fostering of long term links between schools and NCAA colleges, Cornell & Canisius both examples of this.

Its interesting to see the difference between how Canada is supporting and developing Field players getting into NCAA schools,
while England and Australia and getting further and further behind.

Aussie girls are getting recruited and some English girls but the boys are far behind and getting left further behind :shock:
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:17 am

Interview with Aussie Adam Sear on his NCAA experience

http://lacrosseallstars.com/fireside-ch ... -maryland/
6x6

Re: Canadian Players in NCAA

Postby 6x6 Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:1) socio-economic strength or community
2) strength of lacrosse community
3) having an agent to promote and procure access and exposure to NCAA schools.

The development of travel teams competing against the best of US programs

Fostering of long term links between schools and NCAA colleges, Cornell & Canisius both examples of this.

Its interesting to see the difference between how Canada is supporting and developing Field players getting into NCAA schools, while England and Australia and getting further and further behind.

Good reading, thanks for posting.

Possible reasons, in no order, explaining why there are not as many UK/Australian players playing in the states vs. Canada.

First, proximity. The study indicated that 85 of the 153 guys were from Ontario. Much easier to travel accross Lake Ontario or Lake Erie to attend school in the U.S. than going accross oceans. Easier for the guys to get home for the holidays, parents can possibly watch Jr. play etc. Also, as you and the study pointed out much easier for Canadian travel teams to play in the states which means exposure for their players with college coaches.

Second, I'll combine a couple thoughts. Box lacrosse/growth/participation. I know lacrosse in the UK has been around a long, long time. However, it seems growth in Canada has been greater in recent years which would explain BC (which we know hosted the last U-19 tourney) having the second largest number of guys going to the states. Box has been huge in Canada for awhile. Most of the players for the original NLL formed back in the 70's were Canadian. While the games are different, it would seem natural that more and more would want to play lacrosse year round which would mean the growth of the outdoor game. So that goes back to community and even national support as mentioned. (see link, http://www.lacrosse.ca/print.aspx?cid=470&lang=1) note the article quotes the pm as saying lacrosse is Canada's offical national summer sport. Admittedly, I don't know participation numbers. Are there more kids playing in Canada than the UK and Australia, especially those at high school age? If so, then logically more kids means more possible recruits.

Third, cost of education, Again, I'm not 100% sure so correct me but isn't the cost of a college education in the states far greater than the UK and Australia. We all know that full rides in lacrosse are almost no existent. Even if they can waive out of state/international fees it's still damn expensive for parents. In addition, as mentioned the cost of trips home for holidays, summer etc. Wouldn't that put off a lot of potential players who might have the skills from venturing abroad? I'm sure it's no easy decision leaving family, friends and your native land.

Fourth, variety of sport for potential athletes. No disrespect meant but aren't there fewer sports for kids to get involved with in Canada than the UK/Aus. Totally guessing but I'd assume hockey is by far #1. Many hockey players played lacrosse to stay in shape for hockey, ie Gretsky and others. I know there are others but In the UK you have major participation in football, rugby, cricket along with golf, tennis etc. Aus wide variety too. The point is that kids might not even think about lacrosse becasue they are involved in one of the other "major" sports, while in Canada box is pretty big and lacrosse in general is getting a bigger foothold.

Finally, I agree that networking and fostering connections is huge and I'd guess that's where Canada is way ahead. Bellarmine has at least 10 Canadians on their squad this year. Coach McGetrick must have some pipeline as he has had a large number of Canadians each year he's been there. The article mentioned Canisus, why? because Coach Mearns is Canadian. Dave Huntley the coach for the Canadian National team has live extensively in the states hi skids were born there. So, with the history of Canadians playing in the states, John Grant Sr, the Gaits and many others, it's natural for others to follow.

Just my random thoughts. Sorry to be long winded but the study and your post prompted some interest.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a 1/2 pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Another article on Canadian recruits going South to play NCAA Lacrosse

The Canadian invasion continues
http://lacrosseinsidethegame.com/2010/1 ... da-rising/
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:50 pm

I am not certain but when I left (over 4 years ago) I think Ontario had over 40,000 players playing lacrosse - 1000 referees. BC would be similar.

The NCAA likes to recruit Canadians for their shooting skills and being able to take a pass in traffic - all learned in box.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.

Return to “US College”