ProLaxShop

Results 10th november

Play in the Northern Divisions? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Results 10th november

Postby orange05 Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 am

Mellor 1925, Brooklands 1893, Rochdale 1888, Stops 1926

Stockport actually 1875, Oldham 1883

And Timperley were formerly Chorlton-cum-Hardy, founded in 1891

Other clubs no longer with us include Bramhall, Blackpool, Old Aldwinians, and Old Mancunians, plus loads of pre-WW2 clubs
Last edited by orange05 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Postby orange05 Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 am

davidmcculloch81 wrote:When did Stockport start their junior set up? Anyone know?

Must've been prior to 1957, when they were runners-up in the J&S cup
dalglish

Postby dalglish Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:02 am

Good question Dave, not sure but when did the juniors & schools start, I know Mr G had been involved for many years so will try and find the answer.

Without wanting to sound like a broken record would anyone agree that it would be good if more Junior teams were started.( and before everyone jumps down my throat I am not against new university teams) Most other sports make it easy to start young yet we find it difficult. It would be great if more of the general public
a) new what lacrosse was,
b) had ever watched a game
c) even new where to go and watch a game.
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:01 am

Problem is, the very name 'Lacrosse' just sounds *** and at best people assume it's what posh schoolgirls do when they're not riding horses.

When you say to the uninformed masses what you do with your time they almost look sorry for you; as if you decided against netball because you kept chipping a nail.

Yup, school development is massive, but it's the second phase where we seem to have drop outs - 16 & 18 year olds who'd rather watch football.

The game needs three things; proper marketing, moving to summer to attract a greater number/quality of player and a name change, possibly to killdeathbatterball but that's open to suggestions.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
falseteeth0

Postby falseteeth0 Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am

mmm..beer, lacrosse being changed to a summer sport wouldnt help in its look term development at all.

Rugby League was changed to a summer sport to get more spectators from football, it hasnt worked. The same would be true of lacrosse, you either want to play or you dont. FACT!

Your summer idea also falls flat on its face due to Euros, World Champs which are basically every summer at some age group or another!
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:28 am

falseteeth0 wrote:Your summer idea also falls flat on its face due to Euros, World Champs which are basically every summer at some age group or another!

What a load of rubbish! So what if a major championships is staged in the summer. You either have a mid-season break or clubs have to deal with the loss of international players. The FIFA World Cup and Rugby World Cup both fall in someones season.

Why should something that could benefit the sport be dismissed as it would interfer with elite lacrosse?

As for the comparison with RL, if it moved to get more spectators then it isn't a comparison. The suggestion isn't to increase spectators its to draw more people into playing the game. Grass roots RL still takes place in the winter! RL's shift to summer had other benefits for the game, such as creating a global season allowing major championships and internationals to be scheduled not to conflict with club rugby. A global season is likely to be brought in RU in the not to distant future as English & French clubs will not accept the financial hit of the RWC taking place during their seasons for much longer!
Chairman & LDO, Hull Lacrosse Club
YCLA Committee Member

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hull_lacrosse_club/
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:42 am

gazmanofhull wrote:
falseteeth0 wrote:A global season is likely to be brought in RU in the not to distant future as English & French clubs will not accept the financial hit of the RWC taking place during their seasons for much longer!

Not sure about that, they injury implications involved in rucking, mauling and scrummaging on sun baked pitches would not go down very well with player associations.....
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Close to a full house here: Rochdale and Stops???
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Close to a full house here: Rochdale and Stops???
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Come out of Cloud Cuckoo land, League lacrosse will remain a Winter sport, lacrosse though will become a year round activity. Its name will not be changed and nor should it, the name does not seem to be impacting on the growth in University Lacrosse. That in itself may expand the elitist misconception of the sport... but only with the pig ignorant!

The drop out in participation between 14 and 18 is common to all sports, and other activities, but it is made worse in lacrosse by the lack of Junior exit routes.
young_trig

Postby young_trig Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Moaning Git wrote:Come out of Cloud Cuckoo land, League lacrosse will remain a Winter sport, lacrosse though will become a year round activity. Its name will not be changed and nor should it, the name does not seem to be impacting on the growth in University Lacrosse. That in itself may expand the elitist misconception of the sport... but only with the pig ignorant!

The drop out in participation between 14 and 18 is common to all sports, and other activities, but it is made worse in lacrosse by the lack of Junior exit routes.

Please excuse my ignorance, but does U19's not provide a Junior exit route?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Moaning Git wrote:Come out of Cloud Cuckoo land, League lacrosse will remain a Winter sport, lacrosse though will become a year round activity. Its name will not be changed and nor should it, the name does not seem to be impacting on the growth in University Lacrosse. That in itself may expand the elitist misconception of the sport... but only with the pig ignorant!

Blimey Mr Git .... I'm smiling in agreement with you on this one!
The one thing that has always baffled me is the continual 'excuse' that is given about the drop-out of juniors from the game. Surely, for a minority sport to grow, then one blindingly obvious way is to reduce the drop-out compared to other more established sports? For sure the so-called' exit route for males is one of the key issues. The expansion of lacrosse at universities may help with the greater ability to continue to play compared to 5 years ago, but there remains the problem with the club strategy for those leaving the game before university. In the women's game, the drop-out is even more alarming, but again you hear the same rehearsed 'excuse' that its the same with other sports, and worse even with girls! Women's university lacrosse has been ignored for far too long ... yes it's got its own problem with being seen as too elitist i.e. not a 1st Team player at school, then you're not good enough! Women's lacrosse at university has the potential to double in size quite easily.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Unfortunately the oft quoted comment that U19s is the exit route for Junior lacrosse players is one of the reasons that we have such a fallout of young players, as the powers that be feel that is enough.

U19s lacrosse I often hear described as the best in the country, and the pace of play is for the better and more skilful players, most of whom have already secured themselves positions in senior teams.

When Leeds get around to developing a Junior programme you will understand the issues better!
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:31 pm

So we're all agreed then? Accessible University lacrosse is a major benefit to the game (men and women) regardless of whether you have come through any junior club set up.

I'm glad we've cleared that one up.

Now let's support the latest initiative from the Men's Elite Development team - going into Universities to provide experienced coaching and clear pathways to National Squads recognition.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:33 pm

And the winner of 'most patronising comment of the day' goes to...

Moaning Git wrote:When Leeds get around to developing a Junior programme you will understand the issues better!

Calm down. I know it wasn't intended that way :wink:
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Mmk

Postby Mmk Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 pm

I think Stockports Junior section as we recognise it today started after the war with the late L Grainger being a prominent figure.
Knight

Postby Knight Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:38 pm

falseteeth0 wrote:mmm..beer,!

Summer Lashcrosse?
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:43 am

Calm down. I know it wasn't intended that way

Yes it was!
dalglish

Postby dalglish Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:19 am

and I thought I was on my own !!!
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 am

So... Aside from club lacrosse, university lacrosse, and u19 lacrosse, what other exit routes need to be established? Or do we just need to continue to develop all three?

Return to “UK Northern”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics