ProLaxShop

Another NEMLA restructure?

Play in the Northern Divisions? Post Here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
LivTeamJones26

Re: Another NEMLA restructure?

Postby LivTeamJones26 Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:34 pm

We wouldn't have a pitch to play on if the regular season finished later than April. (we don't have a pitch now because of cricket, but moot point) so from a selfish point of view, that idea would suck
Daveyoc

Postby Daveyoc Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:04 pm

If there was so many games could we not double up some weekends or even have a mid-week match if we had the light?
whopead

Postby whopead Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Midweek game. in Nottingham? Newcastle? Leeds? Hull? Liverpool?, Sheffield even! not likely
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
young_trig

Postby young_trig Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:36 pm

falseteeth0 wrote:That's a great idea, take away fixtures and a bar take from clubs that play cricket and dont have an extra pitch!

The junior team I was in was made up from 80% of people who had played cricket first and asked what lacrosse was!

Lacrosse as a club game is a winter sport FACT, leaving May-Sept for BNCs, Euros, Worlds, various tournies!!

Only playing devils advocate here, but if there is a cricket game going on then I doubt the bar will need to worry too much about bar takings.

We can't keep deciding lacrosse strategy and policy around cricket. If push came to shove, some clubs will have to adapt and evolve but a few weeks crossover where you need to find another pitch is not the end of the world.

You're starting to sound like Rafa Benitez with your FACTS. Club Lacrosse currently is a winter sport, true. However, it does not need to stay that way. I agree with many people that it doesn't showcase the sport to its true potential when played on a muddy mid-winter pitch.

I know you like to remember the good old days where lacrosse recruited from cricket players, but thats just not the way it goes anymore. Clubs are doing great work (Boardman incl) to recruit juniors from schools and coaching clinics. The fact that in the old days there was no tv or internet coverage meant the game grew by word of mouth and mostly from other sports within sports clubs (such as cricket). Nowadays there are so many other ways to get the sports publicised that the crossover with other sports is waning.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
Daveyoc

Postby Daveyoc Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:46 pm

whopead wrote:Midweek game. in Nottingham? Newcastle? Leeds? Hull? Liverpool?, Sheffield even! not likely

Ha fair point, forget that then. :)
falseteeth0

Postby falseteeth0 Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Only playing devils advocate here, but if there is a cricket game going on then I doubt the bar will need to worry too much about bar takings.

Trigg, so with your logic the clubs who provide lots of financial support don't need to have an income all year round?

If i take a months wages of you will that be ok?

Boardman due to the inclement weather have lost 3 first team home games, with the rising costs to clubs or Energy, water etc every penny counts.
Daveyoc

Postby Daveyoc Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:12 pm

When will we find out if this Re-Structure is going ahead or not?
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:24 pm

The biggest problem is talent pool.

In the winter we must lose a huge percentage of our target player pool to hockey, rugby and football (as players and also spectators).

I think a lot of those players would be more readily available in summer where the 'only' real competition is Cricket (and Rugby League).

I personally think the situation creates a real conflict of interests; if we stay as we are, current clubs will carry on successfully but the sport itself will struggle to compete. If it became a summer sport then some clubs would naturally be reluctant (and struggle) to modify their club and structure, but I think we would benefit from greater player pool and exposure.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
falseteeth0

Postby falseteeth0 Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Our U12s would go from 11 players to 5 in one foul swoop with Lacrosse as a summer sport.

I thought the main focus of growth was the Uni's with the hope that players find a club after Uni to play for, and it being an area where funding is readily available?
young_trig

Postby young_trig Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:40 pm

falseteeth0 wrote:Our U12s would go from 11 players to 5 in one foul swoop with Lacrosse as a summer sport.

I thought the main focus of growth was the Uni's with the hope that players find a club after Uni to play for, and it being an area where funding is readily available?

That would be a shame to lose players due to moving the season. However, it is possible that they would then gain players who are attracted to Lacrosse as spring/summer sport. Moving the season will always impact on some individuals, but if it allows the sport to grow even more then it could be a good thing.

I'm not saying that I want it to become a non-winter sport, its just that I do see some advantages to it.

Moving the season to not clash with BUCS could also mean a lot more students who fancy picking up club lacrosse. Sometimes its just too much for them to have both seasons running concurrently.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Does the rule for docking points from all teams at a club that does not fulfil fixtures still exist?

One of the problems seems to be too few teams, I have been trying to get a C Team re-established for some time, but the club will not do it if there is a risk of other teams being docked points.

Also do teams have to be part of established and recognised clubs, or could a social team made up of players registered at say 3 other clubs enter the league?
young_trig

Postby young_trig Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Moaning Git wrote:Does the rule for docking points from all teams at a club that does not fulfil fixtures still exist?

One of the problems seems to be too few teams, I have been trying to get a C Team re-established for some time, but the club will not do it if there is a risk of other teams being docked points.

Also do teams have to be part of established and recognised clubs, or could a social team made up of players registered at say 3 other clubs enter the league?

Not sure about the docking of points question.

A social team in the example you speak of could only really be done if the players all transfer to the new team you are creating. League rules state that all players must be registered for that club they are playing for.

You would essentially need to create a new club but there is nobody stopping you. However, you would instantly become a first team and be entered in the Prem division.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm

mmm...beer wrote:The biggest problem is talent pool.

In the winter we must lose a huge percentage of our target player pool to hockey, rugby and football (as players and also spectators).

I think a lot of those players would be more readily available in summer where the 'only' real competition is Cricket (and Rugby League).

I believe that Rugby League is only a summer sport at a professional level. Club Rugby League it seems is still a winter sport. I have been trying to find something to do during the lacrosse off season and naturally thought of rugby league living in Hull, but it seems my only option is cricket.

All these lacrosse clubs currently linked to cricket clubs who are against a move to summer, could they not form links with rugby clubs instead?

Timperley could easily move in with Altrincham Kersal - currently redeveloping there facilities -, Brooklands with Trafford MV or Old Salians to cite a couple of examples I know of.

How many clubs currently share with a cricket club and would be affected by a move to summer?
Chairman & LDO, Hull Lacrosse Club
YCLA Committee Member

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hull_lacrosse_club/
falseteeth0

Postby falseteeth0 Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 pm

gazmanofhull wrote:
mmm...beer wrote:The biggest problem is talent pool.

I believe that Rugby League is only a summer sport at a professional level. Club Rugby League it seems is still a winter sport. I have been trying to find something to do during the lacrosse off season and naturally thought of rugby league living in Hull, but it seems my only option is cricket.

All these lacrosse clubs currently linked to cricket clubs who are against a move to summer, could they not form links with rugby clubs instead?

Timperley could easily move in with Altrincham Kersal - currently redeveloping there facilities -, Brooklands with Trafford MV or Old Salians to cite a couple of examples I know of.

How many clubs currently share with a cricket club and would be affected by a move to summer?

Excuse my ignorance as i don't know how long Hull Lacrosse club has been going, but for you to suggest clubs with over a 100 years of history up sticks is utter nonsense and actually very insulting to the various clubs with a long association with cricket clubs and any other sport!
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:47 pm

falseteeth0 wrote:Excuse my ignorance as i don't know how long Hull Lacrosse club has been going, but for you to suggest clubs with over a 100 years of history up sticks is utter nonsense and actually very insulting to the various clubs with a long association with cricket clubs and any other sport!

And doesn't that just define all the problems with this sport. Because my club is younger than your club, my view is nonesense or worth less. For what its worth, I prefer the wet, muddy pitches to play on. BUT if for the good of the game and development of the game it HAD to become a summer sport, then so be it. As far as I am concerned the more important factor is what is for the good of the game and the long term benefit.

The issue of the restructure is obviosuly one causing a lot of discussion amongst all clubs and someone at another smaller, newer club made a great point recently. It's always things being done for the best interests of the big clubs - Stockport, Heaton Mersey, Cheadle etc - and the smaller clubs will just have to like it. It's as if its Manchester's game and those of us outside of the M60 and just imposing. I believe it's NORTH OF ENGLAND Lacrosse Association, not NEar Manchester Lacrosse Association!

For clairty on my view of history and sport. The rugby club I have always supported was formed in 1861. in 2004 it was moved to a totally different borough. It is on the verge of a move to another borough, even further from its home. Its name is about to be changed and the whole history of the club blanked out and begun again. I'll still support them because it is ultimatly my club despite what those with money decide to do. But ultimatly all this has been done for the good of the club and for the sport. Times change and unfortunatly sometimes history has to be left where it is.
YCLA Committee Member

Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:49 pm

I tend to agree! With FT, Gazman slipped his posting inbetween the two!

if the league rules do not encourage maximum participation then they should be reviewed. Social teams could help solve the issues at the lower divisions
Last edited by Moaning Git on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falseteeth0

Postby falseteeth0 Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Would you being saying that Moaning git if your club didnt have a seperate pitch, i doubt it!

Gaz, I for one welcome new teams and would have looked forward to travelling to Newcastle if the last restructure hadnt taken place. In my youth we travelled to Loughborough, Leics unis, and good trips they were.

Everyones opnion counts whether you are a 5 yr old club or 105 years old.

There were suppossed to be several summer leagues last year, did any off them get off the ground?

I accept things change, change doesnt mean it is for the best.

This thead started off about prem 2/prem 3 being merged, is that a proposal for the AGM?
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 pm

gazmanofhull wrote:
For clairty on my view of history and sport. The rugby club I have always supported was formed in 1861. in 2004 it was moved to a totally different borough. It is on the verge of a move to another borough, even further from its home. Its name is about to be changed and the whole history of the club blanked out and begun again. I'll still support them because it is ultimatly my club despite what those with money decide to do. But ultimatly all this has been done for the good of the club and for the sport. Times change and unfortunatly sometimes history has to be left where it is.

Possibly far more for the good of the club, rather than the sport?
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:27 am

Actually a recent NGB report suggests that the survival of my club and one other is vital to the future of the sport in the North of England - For clarity i mean the non-lacrosse pro sports team i was talking about

Back to my original question, how many clubs currently share with a cricket club and would be affected by a move to summer?

I know of the following:
Timperley
Brooklands
Heaton Mersey
Poynton
Wilmslow
Liverpool
Oldham
Last edited by gazmanofhull on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YCLA Committee Member

UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44 am

Wacs
Mellor
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com

Return to “UK Northern”