ProLaxShop

Crease defender

Discuss mixed rules here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
User avatar
Steely Dan
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Crease defender

Postby Steely Dan Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Ok, another mixed rule question. Basically its about applying the slide from mens defence to mixed and how it affects the "crowing" rule within the fan.

If you have a dedicated crease defender, ie a player who will stay at the top of the fan and pick up the incoming man regardless of their initial mark. If they subsequently continue to constantly slide and double up on the player in possession should they get called for not clearing the fan even if the oncoming player becomes their mark (and the original marker picks up their man)?

In effect provided the attack don't draw out significantly it is possible for the crease defender to legitimately remain within the fan provided that the original player marking their man moves onto the free man?
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
User avatar
Mr.Stanford
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3957
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am
gender: Male
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:28 pm

by the sounds of things you play mixed sober! sort it out!
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
User avatar
Steely Dan
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Steely Dan Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:47 pm

heheheh, Doh, it true! but unfortunately as the designated driver (yep, even for home games SOB!) I can't help it....
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
User avatar
chippie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby chippie Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:53 pm

1)....3 seconds is a minor foul, so not a free-position shot
2).....it only comes into affect when the attacking team are in the critical scoring area
3).....im not sure i fully get what you say, but i'll have a go, if you have a player and then slide, as long as you are not in the way of a scoring opportunity (i.e. shooting space) or just hanging about, but your intention is to actually slide then that is not a foul.

remember most rules are to do with safe play!

There will be a new ELA mixed lacrosse rule book out soon!!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
User avatar
Steely Dan
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Steely Dan Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:11 pm

Ok, I choose to interpret your answer as "its ok as long as its safe"

HIGH FIVE..... now all I have to do is work on this sober thing!
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
ray1
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:40 pm

game today.

Postby ray1 Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:09 am

hi dan it may be possible to start a little early. its a suck it and see situation, so we will play it as we go ta el
Go
Golden Eagle #2

Postby Golden Eagle #2 Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:30 am

At a recent game we were told by the home referee that you are allowed to shoot through players that aren't defending you, since they aren't allowed to be in the fan :shock:
Chlammy
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:16 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Chlammy Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:46 am

first iv heard of that rule but ill be happy with it... i play attack in mixed so would NEVER be on the recieving end of a shot! :D
Go
Golden Eagle #2

Postby Golden Eagle #2 Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:52 am

I don't think he/they was/were a proper ref(s) since all our qualified ones that were playing started arguing... then I went crazy when people started spearing the ball into the net when it was in the crease and it took me to get the goal called off... typical :lol:
User avatar
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:57 pm
gender: Male

Postby fresher309 Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:53 am

Golden Eagle #2 wrote:At a recent game we were told by the home referee that you are allowed to shoot through players that aren't defending you, since they aren't allowed to be in the fan :shock:

Thats wrong......if they aren't defending u then its shooting space, as the attacker u have to show that ur gonna shoot shouting 'shoot' usually works and u should get a free shot (plus they could be done for being in the crease for more than 3 secs without defending somone), but if u actually shoot then its shooting through and a foul to the defending team
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
User avatar
Steely Dan
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Steely Dan Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:38 am

Chippie, can you incorporate some of these examples into the new rule book please? I particularly like the way that these here forums allow people to actually work through a particular situation to get the correct interpretation of a rule and feel it would benefit the mixed rule book (similarly to the AR sections in the mens rules)

Especially as mixed its a b***h to ref! :D
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
User avatar
chippie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby chippie Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:37 pm

will do dan...

the new womens rules book are available so thats a good start to understand the free space to goal rule!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
User avatar
chippie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby chippie Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:43 pm

fresher309 wrote:
Golden Eagle #2 wrote:At a recent game we were told by the home referee that you are allowed to shoot through players that aren't defending you, since they aren't allowed to be in the fan :shock:

Thats wrong......if they aren't defending u then its shooting space, as the attacker u have to show that ur gonna shoot shouting 'shoot' usually works and u should get a free shot (plus they could be done for being in the crease for more than 3 secs without defending somone), but if u actually shoot then its shooting through and a foul to the defending team


1) you can never shoot through players!! :!: .....it is correct that if they are not marking you then they shouldnt be there but a player must not take the shot instead the umpire should call it up!

2) yes you should show you are going to shoot but shouting "shoot" isnt really gonna get you the call especially when you have the ball in your stick, the correct action is to fake a shot, if its not called then that is the umpires wrong...however as umpiring is never an easy job, dont turn round and have a go at the umpire, request that your captain has a polite word and ask them to take notice!!
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
User avatar
chippie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Crease defender

Postby chippie Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:49 pm

Steely Dan wrote:If you have a dedicated crease defender, ie a player who will stay at the top of the fan and pick up the incoming man regardless of their initial mark. If they subsequently continue to constantly slide and double up on the player in possession should they get called for not clearing the fan even if the oncoming player becomes their mark (and the original marker picks up their man)?

In effect provided the attack don't draw out significantly it is possible for the crease defender to legitimately remain within the fan provided that the original player marking their man moves onto the free man?


dan... its a hard call as they are not doing anything wrong by going to double the ball as it moves on, however, they must make sure they dont interfere with an opportunity to shoot (i.e. free space to goal) or if they stand behind the on ball defender they can be called for shooting space and 3 seconds (as they may not be within the correct marking distance).

Womens rules have taken this into account recently and 3 seconds has changed, so that you dont called up for it unless you have the chance of affecting play, but as soon as you become a factor then you get called up...!!

umpiring mixed is one of the hardest things because 1/2 the people playing think they are right......hopefully the rule book will help
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
User avatar
mandy
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3485
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:13 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby mandy Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:36 pm

i think its good if a rule book is finally coming out for mixed - any chance we can get it online too? cos that would be a big help to be able to point people to and check up rules on line rather than having to own the hard copy

as for shooting through - its a bit of an issue esp with in-experienced refs who never call it even after a quiet word, when you've faked a shot a bunch of times and they just keep counting - a better all round knowledge of the rules would be great
ahhh ... the whit
User avatar
chippie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby chippie Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:27 am

mandy wrote:as for shooting through - its a bit of an issue esp with in-experienced refs who never call it even after a quiet word, when you've faked a shot a bunch of times and they just keep counting - a better all round knowledge of the rules would be great


thats true......bugs me even in womens BUSA prem games when you get umpires who are qualified but are terrible...oh well
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.
goldenboy
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:55 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Postby goldenboy Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:36 pm

The ref that said shooting through people who aren't marking you is legal should be shot. Its that kind of stupid statement that gets people hurt in whats meant to be a fun and friendly game. If someone got injured in that match because of it the ref would have been in trouble.
User avatar
jpfathead
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:06 am
gender: Male

Postby jpfathead Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:57 pm

chippie wrote:
2) yes you should show you are going to shoot but shouting "shoot" isnt really gonna get you the call especially when you have the ball in your stick, the correct action is to fake a shot, if its not called then that is the umpires wrong...however as umpiring is never an easy job, dont turn round and have a go at the umpire, request that your captain has a polite word and ask them to take notice!!


I'm guessing this doesn't apply to coaches though? they can shout at umpires can't they? :wink: :wink: ?
Birmingham #55
Warwick Uni #55

Woody

Return to “Mixed Lacrosse Rules”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register