ProLaxShop

Differnce between men's and woman's goalkeeper?

Discuss womens lacrosse rules here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
c_green

Differnce between men's and woman's goalkeeper?

Postby c_green Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey, I was asked to do a bit of coaching with a fresher womans goalkeeper yesterday. I have never played womans or mixed lax so I used the same rules and tactics I teach male goalkeepers. Having quickly read the rules today the only major difference I can see is the time you have to clear the ball form your crease. Are there any other differences? Are the basic principles the same (body position, foot work, stick position, ect). Is there any good guides or videos she should be looking at?

Thanks, Chris
University of Lincoln Lacrosse 2008-2011
Lincoln City Lacrosse Club 2011-
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Differnce between men's and woman's goalkeeper?

Postby rpowell Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:58 pm

In the women's game:

The keeper cannot rake the ball back in to the crease.
If keeper & the ball are in the crease, keeper can pick up the ball with your hand and put it in her stick.
Attackers cannot reach into the crease.
Keeper cannot go further up the field than the attacking restraining line (i.e. 2/3 of the way to the other goal).

From what I've seen:

The actual goalkeeping bit (stopping the round thing going in the square thing...) is very similar.
If you teach a basic men's style, you shouldn't go too far wrong...
oldman

Postby oldman Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:06 pm

rpowell wrote:In the women's game:

Sorry to be a pedant but the keeper can rake the ball back into the crease ..Rule 17.A.3.d states that a goalkeeper
May reach outside the goal circle with her crosse and bring the ball back into the goal circle provided no part of her body is "grounded" outside the goal circle.

In addition in raking the ball back the goalkeeper may not cover the ball IF it stops other players from playing it.

The only other issue that is worth noting is that the goalkeeper, outside of her crease, is also liable to the "shooting space" rule.
Kent Lacrosse Development Association
Cranbrook Lacrosse Club
Maidstone Lacrosse Club
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Postby rpowell Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:36 pm

oldman wrote:
rpowell wrote:In the women's game:

Sorry to be a pedant but the keeper can rake the ball back into the crease ..Rule 17.A.3.d states that a goalkeeper
May reach outside the goal circle with her crosse and bring the ball back into the goal circle provided no part of her body is "grounded" outside the goal circle.

In addition in raking the ball back the goalkeeper may not cover the ball IF it stops other players from playing it.

Yes, if no-one is within playing distance, you can in theory put your stick on top of the ball. But don't do it! You never know what the umpire is going to interpret as being in playable distance :)

My strong advice to a womens goalkeeeper would be never cover the ball outside the crease with your stick.
oldman

Postby oldman Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:16 pm

While I agree that a covering call varies from umpire to umpire, and it is particularly an easy call for a new umpire, I wouldn't ever coach a "no challenge" policy to balls close to the crease.

The rule about covering refers to making a legal play rather than a playable distance. The rule 19.A.2 says:
A player must not cover a ground ball with her crosse or any part of her body when it prevents an opponent from making a legal play on the ball.

So applied correctly you can have an attacker standing right next to the crease and the ball, but if she isn't making an attempt to play the ball, a cover should not be penalised.

Quite frankly I would rather the goalkeeper took a marginal opportunity to rake the ball back than let the attack pick it up unchallenged.

The penalty for covering gives the attack the ball at the 15m point of the goalline extended, while the goalkeeper is allowed to remain in her crease. So it is clearly worth the risk of a marginal challenge.

I am NOT suggesting that a cover and rake should be attempted no matter what, just that a blanket "no challenge" policy to loose ground balls close to the crease is not one I would personally coach.
Kent Lacrosse Development Association
Cranbrook Lacrosse Club
Maidstone Lacrosse Club

Return to “Womens Lacrosse Rules”