ProLaxShop

Lacrosse Head Design

Want any advice on equipment? Or to review a piece of equipment? This is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
bobby09

Lacrosse Head Design

Postby bobby09 Wed May 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Had some free time.....well I mean I had revision for upcoming tests so I am doing everything and anything otherwise, so I thought Id try and mock up a lacrosse head.

Although a lacrosse head is pretty simple, the complexity of the shape make it quite hard to make using Solidworks (the program I used) for a novice like me anyway. I didn't spend to long (probably 2-3 hours) as I kept getting annoyed at it, so its only a quick attempt and quite a few things are wrong with it (scoop, sidewall, etc).

The design is quite basic and does resemble quite a few heads already out there, the face is probable similar to a clutch, as that is what I was looking at when making it.

The head would meet international and high school specs.

If I get some free time before I go to Thailand I might have a proper go at designing one, with some original ideas/concepts.

Feel free to ask questions
Rotisserie

Re: Lacrosse Head Design

Postby Rotisserie Wed May 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Pretty impressive. Obviously the scoop needs fixing but otherwise fairly sound. CAD was the one thing I never learnt properly in my Engineering degree.

Have you had a look in to manufacturing costs? I've always thought that they would be fairly low.

If you could produce good quality heads at much lower prices than the big-name brands (~£20) there's potential for a business.
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Rotisserie wrote:Pretty impressive. Obviously the scoop needs fixing but otherwise fairly sound. CAD was the one thing I never learnt properly in my Engineering degree.

Have you had a look in to manufacturing costs? I've always thought that they would be fairly low.

If you could produce good quality heads at much lower prices than the big-name brands (~£20) there's potential for a business.

The expense is in R&D not the manufacture.
bobby09

Postby bobby09 Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Although I have no intention of making a head at the moment, I did get side tracked and looked into it a bit. These are all rough prices, guesstimates by the way.

The cost of a mould, would be anywhere between £5000-£15000. The plastic material costs would be no more than £1 per unit, and to have them made by a Chinese company who has the injection mould machinery anywhere between £2-£3 to £15 per unit depending on order size. So is it financially viable to sell them cheaper than the big company's? Yes I would of thought so. Obviously there is more cost involved than that, but it gives you a rough idea.

The areas where the big companys will spend most their money is Marketing and Testing.

Now marketing iv got sorted, get a 'tank' who can shoot 112mph and get him to use your head, film it, and put it on youtube. You've just cracked the US market.

Testing, well isn't all that hard, but does require time and money. I cant see the Tribe7 bloke doing much Development and he seems to be doing ok, but then again I cant see him taking a large market share anytime soon.
FogoMiddie4

Postby FogoMiddie4 Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:51 pm

It reminds me of a blade pro
Samiho

Postby Samiho Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 am

Is the program free if so what's it called
bobby09

Postby bobby09 Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am

Samiho wrote:Is the program free if so what's it called

Its called Solidworks, students can get it free through their university. But otherwise its pay or warez.
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 pm

You've piqued my interest a little there, if you can PM me a CAD file I'd be interested to run it through some analysis software. I'd put a tool estimate rather higher, due to the complexity & sheer size of it. You'd also need to take some material out of the bit around the head so that it would mould without sinking & cool properly
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
asianballa19

Postby asianballa19 Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Looks like the nike elite head that i have.
CoyoteLJW

Postby CoyoteLJW Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:18 pm

This is really quite amazing. I have often thought that UK based lacrosse equipment manufacturer would be very cool to have. I have dreamt about feasibility of it all it sounds like it's possible if your pockets are deep enough. A neat idea would be to pool the resources and abilities of lax forums users and make a head through a combined effort and/or financial contribution. I wish I had the skill to use that software I could waste days on it.

Return to “Discussion”