ProLaxShop

Shipping from America.

Want any advice on equipment? Or to review a piece of equipment? This is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
BoomTime

Shipping from America.

Postby BoomTime Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Looked through the other threads but still had a question, is there any extra charge besides the VAT upon entering the UK (And maybe the £8) from parcel force.
Princess

Re: Shipping from America.

Postby Princess Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 am

it's a bit throw a six to start sometimes you don't get charged other times they go nuts really its a bit of a game
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:47 am

I queried this a few years ago and was directed to the following text:

Custom Duty rates for specific products

Customs Duty is charged as a percentage of the total value of the goods - that is the sterling equivalent of the price paid abroad. To work out the percentage, each type of product is given a 'commodity code'. This tells you what the Customs Duty rate percentage is for that particular product, based on whether it's being imported or exported.

There are around 14,000 different classifications. The duty rate percentage for each may vary according to the country the goods come from. The average percentage is between 5 and 9 per cent, but it can be as low as 0 per cent or as high as 85 per cent.

To find out the Customs Duty rate for a product you can contact HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) VAT Helpline or the Customs, International Trade & Excise enquiries.

What they don't say is that something like a cascade helmet *might* be considered safety equipment, sporting equipment or any other similar category depending on the view of the HMRC inspector looking at your parcel - this is why charges vary.

If you're not sure or unable to take the possible hit from the US, try buying in the UK - you know what you're going to pay that way but *may* not make any saving, or may have a more limited choice.
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
cjlax

Postby cjlax Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Steely Dan wrote:If you're not sure or unable to take the possible hit from the US, try buying in the UK - you know what you're going to pay that way but *may* not make any saving, or may have a more limited choice.

I agree choice may be more limited but there is certainly a lot more of it now in the UK which is a good thing, but you should look at each item individually depending on what you want as you may very well pick up a deal here, save the hassle of waiting for the post and not have to deal with HMRC!

For example only, you can pick up an unstrung Warrior Revo TI in the USA for about £76.75 once you've included the shipping/vat/parcel force fee/duty etc. You can actually pick one up here including delivery for £65.00, so its well worth checking out the prices when you've found an item you want.

Having said that...you should also shop around within the UK/Europe because if you don't (in my example above) and you go to only one retailer who stocks Warrior equipment, you could end up paying £89.50 including delivery for it! :?

Also consider warranties and shipping time, its cheaper to return it in the UK than have to ship it to the USA.
Ash

Postby Ash Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 am

I have no objection to paying customs, though what I do object to is the 8 pound charge that gets added on by parcel force etc for handling it on your behalf, despite the fact the customs charge might only be 6 or 7 quid and the fact that you never asked them to pay it for you in the first place.
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 pm

It's entirely unpredictable. In my time I've had the following arrive from the US without any tax, duty, charge or fee:

Brand new triumph xp
Four scorpion genysis d-poles
Stx x2 head
Custom Maverick maybachs

Two pairs of cleats, three pairs of AG's and four pairs of gloves have all been fingered by customs however. Overall I've come out on top, but it's all very hit and miss.

Return to “Discussion”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register