ProLaxShop

Cascade Pro 7, CPX or CPX-R - the fit

Want any advice on equipment? Or to review a piece of equipment? This is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
00bond

Cascade Pro 7, CPX or CPX-R - the fit

Postby 00bond Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Hello,
I tried using the search function and couldn't find anything that covers this topic so here goes:

Which helmet has the better fit - Cascade Pro 7, CPX or CPX-R?

I understand that the CPX has foam inserts that allow it to be one size fits all while the Pro 7 has the Profit system that lets you manually adjust the size. So my thought is that the Pro 7 should be the better fit, especially if your head isn't a "standard" size. If I'm going to pay quite a bit for a helmet then I want it to be the most comfortable helmet possible. Slight weight differences don't really matter.

Thoughts?
Last edited by 00bond on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webby

Re: Cascade Pro 7 or CPX - the fit

Postby webby Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Due to the sizing system, the Pro 7 is more adjustable so should allow you to get a "proper" fit. That being said, I have a huge head and my Pro 7 is a little snug even on the largest setting. My CPX, without any of the liners, fits me just right, but doesn't feel as "secure".

If you want the most adjustable Cascade, I believe there have been good reviews of the CPX-R and it's "wheel adjuster" design. That being said, you have to deal with the slightly odd "tail" at the back, and slightly less coverage to the back of your neck.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
00bond

Re: Cascade Pro 7 or CPX - the fit

Postby 00bond Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a huge head. In Italy it seems that they all have tiny heads (compared to me) as none of the helmets of my teammates fit very well (nor do normal hats for that matter). I recently bought a Warrior/Stryke Pro Z helmet (large)...it does the job for now (our team is just starting and we have few team helmets) until I can upgrade...but it's a bit uncomfortable.

I didn't know the CPX-R had the wheel adjuster as well. I thought it was like the CPX and only had inserts.

(Edited original question and title to add the CPX-R)
Mort rotu

Re: Cascade Pro 7, CPX or CPX-R - the fit

Postby Mort rotu Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:26 am

The CPX-R has a ratchet rather than a wheel, similar to most high end cycling helmets (I'm told). I find the CPX-R is a bit smaller across the temples than the CPX (I have to squeeze my ears passed the foam) but it fits much more securely, I feel as though if I played without the chinstrap done up I'd be ok in the CPX-R, I never got that feeling in the CPX.For reference, I used to wear the blue insert on the CPX so my head isn't that big.

In short, CPX is bigger, CPX-R is more comfy and feels safer, even with the funny spoiler thing.

Isn't the spoiler supposed to help balance the helmet? I can't compare directly between mine as one has a Ti grill and the other doesn't.

(edited to correct my terrible english and lack of proofreading)
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:38 am

replying to Morts post, I've had a CPX for about 4/5 years and just bought another - I've noticed that the new CPX fits quite tight across the temples as Mort describes and feels very similar to a teammates CPX-R. Could be that Cascade have changed the mold slightly, or that my older helmet has just openned out a bit through years of use.

I also use to use the Blue insert, now, despite my lack of hair I have gone down to the Black insert as a result of the tighter fit.
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:42 am

Steely Dan wrote:replying to Morts post, I've had a CPX for about 4/5 years and just bought another - I've noticed that the new CPX fits quite tight across the temples as Mort describes and feels very similar to a teammates CPX-R. Could be that Cascade have changed the mold slightly, or that my older helmet has just openned out a bit through years of use.

I also use to use the Blue insert, now, despite my lack of hair I have gone down to the Black insert as a result of the tighter fit.

possibly, my CPX is abt 4 years old. maybe the injection mould wore out and they decided to update the design a bit with the replacement.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
DL99

Postby DL99 Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

You should try them all on. "One size fits all" isn't really true, even when the helmet is adjustable. The moulded shell will still be too small for some players. Manufacturers just don't seem to cater for players with oversized heads - John Grant jr couldn't even wear the standard issue Canadian helmet at the 2010 world games, and had to wear a box helmet instead.
00bond

Postby 00bond Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Trying them on isn't really an option for me as there are no stores in Italy that carry lacrosse gear. I'd have to fly to another country (eg England) just to try on a helmet.
dom#10

Postby dom#10 Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

DL99 wrote:You should try them all on. "One size fits all" isn't really true, even when the helmet is adjustable. The moulded shell will still be too small for some players. Manufacturers just don't seem to cater for players with oversized heads - John Grant jr couldn't even wear the standard issue Canadian helmet at the 2010 world games, and had to wear a box helmet instead.

i believe he wore the box helmet for sponsorship reasons.
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

I'll dig out a ruler and measure across the temples in both helmets(CPX and CPX-R) if you like
Soton Uni #33 05-12
00bond

Postby 00bond Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Sorry about the delay in responding...exam time here!

If you could measure those for me that would probably help alot. Kinda sucks that there are no physical stores to try kit on here.
ReadingWildcat

Postby ReadingWildcat Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:34 am

Had a CPX - R.. awesome fit, looks sick and the back panel is great (allows for the player to tighten or loosen for comfort) - Not too sure about the spoiler look.
Got a TII now, even more comfortable, looks sick nasty and has even better sitelines. All down to personal preferance though i guess.

Return to “Discussion”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics